The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

PVW said:

RealityForAll said:

IOW, historical viewpoints often change over time.

Thank goodness.

I was going to say: They sure do.

tjohn said:

RealityForAll said:

Jaytee said:

“Never fight uphill, me boys!’

general Lee was an insurrectionist, wasn’t he? Trump’s rallies are not the best places to learn American history…

Excerpt of Robert E. Lee statue dedication:

I am very happy to take part in this unveiling of the statue of General Robert E. Lee.

All over the United States we recognize him as a great leader of men, as a great general. But, also, all over the United States I believe that we recognize him as something much more important than that. We recognize Robert E. Lee as one of our greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, Remarks at the Unveiling of the Robert E. Lee Memorial Statue, Dallas, Texas. Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project

Date:  June 12, 1936

Link:  https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/remarks-the-unveiling-the-robert-e-lee-memorial-statue-dallas-texas#:~:text=I%20am%20very%20happy%20to,much%20more%20important%20than%20that.

===========

IOW, historical viewpoints often change over time.

Ah, the good old days.  When we couldn't be bothered to help refugees fleeing Nazi Germany.

Even so, it is bit jarring to read Roosevelt's remarks.  Of course, he knew he had to keep the Southern Democrats in the fold.

Excerpt frim Israel Times regarding WWII Jewish refugees denied entry by FDR:

Historian: New evidence shows FDR’s bigotry derailed many Holocaust rescue plans

In his book about Franklin Roosevelt and the Holocaust, Rafael Medoff finds links between the US president's anti-Japanese stances and his policies against Jews fleeing
Hitler

PS Do you think Southern Dems were behind FDR's lack of support for Jewish refugees?

Date: November 4, 2019.

Author:  MATT LEBOVIC

Link;  

https://www.timesofisrael.com/historian-new-evidence-shows-fdrs-bigotry-derailed-many-holocaust-rescue-plans/

Roosevelt was a politician.  I think he was unwilling to stick his neck out politically to help Jews or to prevent the internment of Americans of Japanese descent.  I suppose his personal prejudices fed into this, but I think political considerations came first.

mtierney said:

The Big Guy demonstrates why Congress should tailor-make an aid bill for Ukraine and Israel — and not a giant goody bag — Immigration should be a stand-alone bill — it is that important to American voters and America’s future.

Moment of Truth on Ukraine and Israel

With chants of “Ukraine!” and blue and yellow flags waving on the House floor, all Democrats present and a minority of Republicans broke a months-long legislative logjam and approved $60 billion in aid to Ukraine in its war with Russia. The vote was 311 to 112, with all those objecting coming from the most conservative wing of the GOP conference.

House passes foreign aid bill, sending help to Ukraine and Israel (Washington Post)

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/19/opinion/biden-gaza-war.html

This long overview of what’s happening in the Middle East by Kristoff in today’s Times reviews the role  Biden has played during his career in Washington over the past decades and, his actions now as President in the Oval Office. The report reveals how  Biden has changed — as if two different Bidens were in play. 

from the article…

“This is a sad column to have to write. Biden has generally been an impressive foreign policy president, I believe, particularly astute in building connections in Asia to meet the challenge of China. I think he’s personally a good man with a compassionate heart.

“That makes his complicity in the cataclysm of Gaza all the more tragic. As a young man, Biden watched Lyndon Johnson’s dream of being remembered for his “Great Society” collapse in the face of youthful opposition to an unpopular and cruel foreign war, with Johnson’s failures leading to the election of a corrupt president from the other party. I hope Biden takes action to avoid a repeat.

“Biden might listen in particular to one close adviser who is apparently in anguish over Gaza — for she is right.

“Stop it,” Jill Biden reportedly told her husband. “Stop it now, Joe.”

mtierney said:

This long overview of what’s happening in the Middle East by Kristoff in today’s Times reviews the role  Biden has played during his career in Washington over the past decades and, his actions now as President in the Oval Office. The report reveals how  Biden has changed — as if two different Bidens were in play. 

from the article…

“This is a sad column to have to write. Biden has generally been an impressive foreign policy president, I believe, particularly astute in building connections in Asia to meet the challenge of China. I think he’s personally a good man with a compassionate heart.

“That makes his complicity in the cataclysm of Gaza all the more tragic. As a young man, Biden watched Lyndon Johnson’s dream of being remembered for his “Great Society” collapse in the face of youthful opposition to an unpopular and cruel foreign war, with Johnson’s failures leading to the election of a corrupt president from the other party. I hope Biden takes action to avoid a repeat.

“Biden might listen in particular to one close adviser who is apparently in anguish over Gaza — for she is right.

You might go into cardiac arrest when Biden beats trump in November by millions of votes. You trumpsters are refusing to acknowledge the decay in your party and your candidate.

@Jaytee

Really impossible for you to consider that Biden’s time came and went — is there absolutely no one —or two Democrats  —in your arsenal of elected officials who could step up to the plate? If you are thinking the CA governor, forgetaboutit! He poses for camera well enough, but that’s about it — he posits nothing re governance— just look at his state!

But, for Dems (is that term OK?) the reality of sooner or later, having the first female, a person of color yet, is too tempting to ignore. “Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!”

mtierney said:

@Jaytee

But, for Dems (is that term OK?) the reality of sooner or later, having the first female, a person of color yet, is too tempting to ignore. “Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!”

You have to admit that the prospect of seeing millions of MAGA heads exploding simultaneously is an incentive.

Is someone is choosing to vote for Trump instead of Biden, because of the possibility of Kamala Harris becoming President, it would be a waste of time to try to argue with that person. 

mtierney said:

@Jaytee

Really impossible for you to consider that Biden’s time came and went — is there absolutely no one —or two Democrats  —in your arsenal of elected officials who could step up to the plate? If you are thinking the CA governor, forgetaboutit! He poses for camera well enough, but that’s about it — he posits nothing re governance— just look at his state!

First, midshipman Daniel Farragut who, during the War of 1821, said "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" was actually referring to mines, which were then referred to as torpedoes. Second, his flotilla won that naval campaign in the Battle of Mobile Bay, as well as later in Vicksburg, and Port Hudson. So it turns out to be a bold and brave strategy and not something done willy-nilly as you imply. 

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/News-Stories/Article/2347790/damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead-navys-first-admiral-was-hispanic-hero/

When elite schools behave stupidly and allow mob invasions on their campuses rule…I would have to ask: Who are paying the student loans of those participating in the mob invasion? Where are the parents? The school administrations in these instances are cowed by what? Bad press? Donor rebellion? Lack of real-time leadership? And these folks are educating and indoctrinating our children?

Protests Turn Violent at Yale

Administrators sit on their hands as a Jewish student is poked in the eye with a flagpole and hospitalized.

By Gabriel Diamond

April 21, 2024 at 5:03 pm ET

Yale’s plaza Saturday night, just before 11:30 p.m., in New Haven, Conn., April 20. PHOTO: GABRIEL DIAMOND

New Haven, Conn.

Anti-Israel protests escalated to violence at Yale University this weekend, and administrators let it happen. Hundreds of protesters flooded the main campus, pitched 40 tents, blocked Yale’s main dining hall, chanted for the annihilation of Israel, and denounced America.

Identifiably Jewish students found themselves surrounded and cornered by protest mobs. Sahar Tartak, a sophomore who has written for these pages, was poked in the eye with a flagpole and needed hospital treatment. On Friday night the mob cheered as students ripped down the American flag in front of a memorial for fallen soldiers and tried to burn it.

Students called Yale trustees and senior administrators “terrorists.” Their chants included “There is only one solution, intifada revolution” and “From the river to the sea, Palestine is almost free.” They cornered a man at the plaza for wearing a T-shirt that read “F— Hamas.”

This protest is in clear violation of Yale’s code of conduct, which explicitly forbids protesters from obstructing building entrances or blocking students’ ability to observe an event. But the administration sat on its hands.

Lt. Chris Halstead of the Yale Police told the Yale Daily News that officers planned to begin clearing the plaza on Friday at 11 p.m., the Daily News reported at 10:55. According to an 11:36 update, Yale College’s Dean Pericles Lewis promised the protest leaders “he will meet with them if they pack up their tents.” They didn’t. An 11:51 update: “According to Halstead and another officer, YPD decided not to proceed with dispersing the crowd in the plaza ‘based on circumstances.’ The officers would not elaborate further on what aspects of the circumstance influenced that decision.”

The invaders slept on the plaza, woke up, and spent Saturday chanting and yelling. Fifty of them marched up Prospect Street to the Yale Divinity School to confront President Peter Salovey and the trustees, there for a Yale Corp. meeting.

On Saturday, the Daily News reported, Mr. Lewis and other school officials told protesters that if students remained at the plaza after 11:30 that night, they “may be subjected to disciplinary action.” That deadline passed, and hundreds more poured in. The paper estimated the size of the mob at “more than 500,” which strikes me as low. Faculty and dormitory leaders allegedly support the students’ unauthorized occupation of campus. “Tonight, all 14 Heads of College agreed that they do not want us removed,” the protest organizers claimed in a Saturday statement.

I spoke with several Yale police officers on the site, asking if and when they would start clearing the plaza or arresting students. Each replied: “That’s up to the higher-ups.” For the police to step in, the Yale administration has to give them the green light, according to the officers. Some officers expressed frustration that Yale wouldn’t allow them to intervene.

Arresting students is a necessary condition for restoring order and quelling violence on campus. But it won’t be sufficient. These students won’t change their behavior unless they pay a real price. Expulsion of even a few of them would set an example for the rest of the protesters.

Mr. Diamond is a senior at Yale University studying political science and a research assistant at the Yorktown Institute.

You'd think that, by now, Congressional Republicans would have enough evidence to charge Pres. Biden with something. Since they haven't, maybe there's nothing actually there? Did they ever believe there was, or was this always just meant to be nothing more than a partisan innuendo campaign?

mtierney said:

The Hunter connection haunts his father’s presidency …..the tie that binds…

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2024/04/17/impeachment_whistleblower_was_in_the_loop_of_biden-ukraine_affairs_that_trump_wanted_probed_1024937.html

The article is based on a "zombie lie" - one that no amount of truth can kill, because it keeps getting revived by unethical people. "But four years earlier, while working as a national security analyst attached to then-Vice President Joe Biden’s office, Ciaramella was a close adviser when Biden threatened to cut off U.S. aid to Ukraine unless it fired its top prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, who was investigating Ukraine-based Burisma Holdings."

mtierney said:

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2024/04/17/impeachment_whistleblower_was_in_the_loop_of_biden-ukraine_affairs_that_trump_wanted_probed_1024937.html

it only haunts those with a certain derangement syndrome.

100 to 1 that article contains exactly nothing of actual import.

I might even read it to confirm.

She’s obsessed with Biden hanging in long enough to get over the finish line… then of course the green lady will have to step in to finish out his term. This is all about preventing the green lady from becoming president, these people would rather have Moscow Marjorie as the first female president… it’s pretty straightforward.

PVW said:

You'd think that, by now, Congressional Republicans would have enough evidence to charge Pres. Biden with something. Since they haven't, maybe there's nothing actually there? Did they ever believe there was, or was this always just meant to be nothing more than a partisan innuendo campaign?

To me, it is fairly obvious that the reason Congressional Republicans haven't found anything is actually proof of the cleverness of the Biden syndicate.  

mtierney said:

from the article…

Of course, the minute Biden comes down really hard (e.g., suspends arms shipments) on Israel to end the fighting, @mtierney will be first to post WSJ articles criticizing Biden for pulling the rug out from under Israel.

tjohn said:

PVW said:

To me, it is fairly obvious that the reason Congressional Republicans haven't found anything is actually proof of the cleverness of the Biden syndicate.  

He's sleepy and senile and also a deviously clever manipulator!

PVW said:

He's sleepy and senile and also a deviously clever manipulator!

and WOKE while fooling everyone that he’s senile!…. Reminds of the guy that walked around in mulberry street dressed in a bath robe mumbling to himself…

nohero said:

mtierney said:

The article is based on a "zombie lie" - one that no amount of truth can kill, because it keeps getting revived by unethical people. "But four years earlier, while working as a national security analyst attached to then-Vice President Joe Biden’s office, Ciaramella was a close adviser when Biden threatened to cut off U.S. aid to Ukraine unless it fired its top prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, who was investigating Ukraine-based Burisma Holdings."

well, I guess there's no need to read it then.

nohero said:

And you go ahead and repeat it any way?! How does that work for you?

mtierney said:

To explain my comment, I included a quote from the article.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Wow. You finally responded to someone's reply to one of your spam posts from some dubious source. 

dave said:

Wow. You finally responded to someone's reply to one of your spam posts from some dubious source. 

”spam posts”? Real Clear Politics “some dubious source”? Really? I am shocked! Lately the New York Times has been doing a great job at printing only the news it seems fit to print.

I mean, we could tell you a thousand times that Shokin was forced to resign because he WASN'T investigating corruption in Ukraine, and you'll still believe the crap in that Real Clear Investigations article.

I agree it is not a dubious source, so in that I'm wrong; but it is a right-center news and opinion aggregator and the op-ed piece you posted contains an easily disproven but often repeated lie. 

mtierney said:

dave said:

”spam posts”? Real Clear Politics “some dubious source”? Really? I am shocked! Lately the New York Times has been doing a great job at printing only the news it seems fit to print.

you posted a link to an article that is based on a proven lie.

therefore, your post is promoting a false story.

that makes your post spam, and your source dubious.

It's not clear why you think RCP is an unbiased source. I know that they claim to be, but, you know, that's not really enough. Because they clearly are not.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.