The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Well if some people claim that the border is OPEN… and it isn’t…

Jaytee said:

Well if some people claim that the border is OPEN… and it isn’t…

good point.

mtierney said:

If Mayorkas only uttered it once, it was enough for the refrain to be picked up by liberals and progressives 

this is also a lie.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

If Mayorkas only uttered it once, it was enough for the refrain to be picked up by liberals and progressives 

this is also a lie.

she must have a different definition of the word refrain.

or maybe she means "refrain" as "to refrain from doing" and just garbled the sentence. 

saying the border is open is a lie. saying the border is closed is a lie.

The border is regulated.

and not for nothing, but the border shouldn't be closed because the United States' biggest trading partner happens to be Mexico

It gets exhausting arguing with idiots and idiotic talking points, doesn't it?

Well there’s always some barrier at every border crossing. They use the word “open” for effect to make their case that millions of people are just walking right through, because all the barriers are stuck in the open position, and the border/customs/ immigration people are a bunch of liberals posting and reading social media 24/7… because “sleepy joe” instructed them to stand down and stand back…why I’ve seen videos of trumpistas claiming some trucks are bringing the migrants backpacks so they don’t have to fetch them. The amount of disinformation out there is astounding. These people actually believe that once you get across the river or scale the wall you are greeted with a care package, compliments of the Democrats which includes a voter registration card, a SNAP card, an Obama phone and a metro card with unlimited mileage for NYC… the hysteria is real. Sadly MT is just one of those gullible people. 

ml1 said:

The border is regulated.

and not for nothing, but the border shouldn't be closed because the United States' biggest trading partner happens to be Mexico

Yes, indeed!

mtierney said:

ml1 said:

The border is regulated.

Yes, indeed!

sorry, but you of all people shouldn't be trying to use the "I know you are but what am?" response on this of all topics.

“Gullible people,” such as the Mayor of New York City who has just announced $1000 limit credit cards for the thousands of migrants flooding the city — okay, there are restrictions on how and what the money is spent on, but rules are meant to be broken these days, right?

mtierney said:

“Gullible people,” such as the Mayor of New York City who has just announced $1000 limit credit cards for the thousands of migrants flooding the city — okay, there are restrictions on how and what the money is spent on, but rules are meant to be broken these days, right?

From the NY Times in February:

"The city is planning to give prepaid debit cards to 500 migrant families with children to help them pay for food and baby supplies as part of a pilot program. The cards can only be used at supermarkets, bodegas, grocery stores and convenience stores.

City officials said the cards would be loaded once a month, with each person receiving about $12 per day; for a family of four, that would be roughly $1,440 per month."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/23/nyregion/migrants-debit-cards-adams.html

White House doings…

What Trump Did for the Faithful

He allowed Mass and other services at the White House. Biden hasn’t done the same.

By

Mick Mulvaney

April 3, 2024 at 12:09 pm ET

Donald Trump holds up a Bible in Washington, June 1, 2020. PHOTO: BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES

“It probably doesn’t come as a surprise that Easter and Holy Week are heavily politicized these days. Everything else is. Last week we whipsawed from Donald Trump’s hawking the “God Bless the USA Bible” to President Biden’s proclamation that Easter Sunday was “transgender visibility day.”

“What may be a surprise is that there are some Washington veterans who look past all that. Not because it isn’t important, but because, when it comes to religion, we know something about Messrs. Trump and Biden that most people don’t.

“The story begins in February 2018, when I was director of the Office of Management and Budget. Just before Lent, I asked White House chief of staff John Kelly to relay to the president what I later learned was an unprecedented request: a Catholic Mass in the Old Executive Office Building on Ash Wednesday.

“I did that in large part because Lent typically falls during crunch time for budgeteers. I knew there was at least a small group of practicing Catholics who might want to attend Mass and receive ashes that day, but who might not be able to because of work. Mr. Trump approved the request.

“The result was stunning. More than 100 people showed up to the first Mass in history in the White House compound. Not all of them were from the White House. Dozens were career staffers from the nearby federal agencies who had worked under President Obama and now serve in the Biden administration.

“The Mass was so successful that it continued roughly every other week until it was shut down for Covid in March 2020. When Mr. Biden took office, I encouraged members of his transition team to resume the services. I pointed out that the benefit wasn’t limited to Catholics: After the Mass started, Protestant, Muslim and Jewish services were also held on the White House campus grounds. I reminded my successors that many of those worshippers weren’t “Trump people.” They were simply people, who seemed to want religion in their daily lives.

“The answer I got from the Biden team was reasonable: They would look at things “after Covid.” It’s now long after Covid, and, as you can probably guess, neither the Mass or any of the other religious services have resumed.

“Perhaps we should be saddened that religion is just as politicized as anything else these days. But the Christian faith has probably been political in some sense since its founding. Like politics, however, maybe religion also falls into the category of things that are best measured not by what people say but by what they do.

“Donald Trump, who in 2015 declined to name his favorite Bible verses, allowed a Catholic Mass at the White House. Joe Biden, who says he is a devout Catholic, hasn’t.

“To those of us who worked there, that speaks louder than any two-for-one special on holy books or declaration praising alternative lifestyles.”

mtierney said:

White House doings…

“To those of us who worked there, that speaks louder than any two-for-one special on holy books or declaration praising alternative lifestyles.”

That last portion of Mulvaney’s piece is the “tell” showing that the point of the article is to support the latest GOP “outrage” about Biden and Easter.

It’s dishonest and hateful, and that’s nor a surprise.

And, before any comments, I do not have a sense of humor about dishonest and hypocritical GOP arguments based on religion. 

mtierney said:

so you object to migrants being able to feed their kids?

nohero said:

mtierney said:

White House doings…

That last portion of Mulvaney’s piece is the “tell” showing that the point of the article is to support the latest GOP “outrage” about Biden and Easter.

It’s dishonest and hateful, and that’s nor a surprise.

And, before any comments, I do not have a sense of humor about dishonest and hypocritical GOP arguments based on religion. 

why on earth should the White House be hosting religious services anyway?

mtierney said:

“I did that in large part because Lent typically falls during crunch time for budgeteers. I knew there was at least a small group of practicing Catholics who might want to attend Mass and receive ashes that day, but who might not be able to because of work. Mr. Trump approved the request.

the Trump White House cared so much about religion that they would not let staffers leave for an hour on Ash Wednesday. 

So, what explains this reality — consistent results for months….

mtierney said:

do we have to go through this every darn time you come across this poll?

I would answer that poll by saying "wrong direction".

do you understand the problem with that poll now?

Jaytee said:

Well there’s always some barrier at every border crossing. They use the word “open” for effect to make their case that millions of people are just walking right through, because all the barriers are stuck in the open position, and the border/customs/ immigration people are a bunch of liberals posting and reading social media 24/7… because “sleepy joe” instructed them to stand down and stand back…why I’ve seen videos of trumpistas claiming some trucks are bringing the migrants backpacks so they don’t have to fetch them. The amount of disinformation out there is astounding. These people actually believe that once you get across the river or scale the wall you are greeted with a care package, compliments of the Democrats which includes a voter registration card, a SNAP card, an Obama phone and a metro card with unlimited mileage for NYC… the hysteria is real. Sadly MT is just one of those gullible people. 

I dunno, folks; borders are just troublesome no matter what you do. USA might be better off turning both the northern and the southern land borders into deep moats thereby becoming a virtual massive land-bound island. I mean, we’re an island, but your size. Lots of jobs in protecting those borders. 
Weird stuff happens with land borders, right, @ Ridski??

For the news analysts here, RCP, in one corner, and the  NYT in the other, duke it out! And the winner is??

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2024/04/04/the_new_york_times_vs_realclearpolitics_150733.html

mtierney said:

Years, mtierney. Consistent for years. And this is by no means the worst it has been. It hasn't been above 50% since 2004. That last spike of 45%? That was 1 month before COVID shutdowns happened, in July and August of that year we were at 13 and 14%.

joanne said:

I dunno, folks; borders are just troublesome no matter what you do. USA might be better off turning both the northern and the southern land borders into deep moats thereby becoming a virtual massive land-bound island. I mean, we’re an island, but your size. Lots of jobs in protecting those borders. 
Weird stuff happens with land borders, right, @ Ridski??

They're having a lot more fun than when I used to have to do country dancing at school.

The “No Labels” people couldn’t find anyone to run for President, so they’re not running a third-party campaign. 
https://www.wsj.com/politics/elections/no-labels-will-abandon-2024-presidential-campaign-effort-4b4e5121

nohero said:

The “No Labels” people couldn’t find anyone to run for President, so they’re not running a third-party campaign. 
https://www.wsj.com/politics/elections/no-labels-will-abandon-2024-presidential-campaign-effort-4b4e5121

let us be thankful for small favors.

what a grift they are.

Recently, and in the past, a poster has frequently called me a “liar” in response to something I posted. Isn’t calling a fellow poster a “ liar” a firm of censorship, rather than a response challenging the contents of my reference? 

Even in this age where epitaphs, cuss words, and accusations abound in our press, on our TVs, and, even more distressing, within our families. Nothing is shocking to the ear anymore. But the word “liar” carries a particularly strong  meaning, labeling the target as one who deceives and misinforms deliberately.

What the following link exposes is how difficult it is to tell the truth! 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2024/03/25/rcps_samizdat_prize_matt_taibbi_jay_bhattacharya_and_miranda_devine_resisting_censorship.html

mtierney said:

Recently, and in the past, a poster has frequently called me a “liar” in response to something I posted. Isn’t calling a fellow poster a “ liar” a firm of censorship, rather than a response challenging the contents of my reference? 

how is accurately calling out a falsehood said by someone a form of censorship? Especially when it includes direct refutations of your falsehood?

I swear, conservatives don't even understand the most simple words. Being criticized for something you said is not censorship. Nor is it being "cancelled". What's wrong with you people? Freaking snowflakes.

mtierney said:

One could excuse a "little old lady in NJ" ignorantly posting untruths -- after all, how would she know any better? But, by your own insistence, that doesn't describe you. You're someone aware of what she posts, and who has the means and ability to understand the facts behind those posts. So "lying" seems a perfectly adequate word to describe your habit of posting things that are untrue and that you are in a position to know are untrue.

mtierney said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2024/03/25/rcps_samizdat_prize_matt_taibbi_jay_bhattacharya_and_miranda_devine_resisting_censorship.html

Yes, when the intent is to be deceptive, telling the truth gets in the way. 

mtierney said:

Even in this age where epitaphs, cuss words, and accusations abound in our press, on our TVs, and, even more distressing, within our families. Nothing is shocking to the ear anymore. But the word “liar” carries a particularly strong  meaning, labeling the target as one who deceives and misinforms deliberately.

easy solution: stop spreading lies. 

How can anyone win an argument with someone who believes the lies they tell as being true? 
That’s why people who spread lies, whether intentionally or not, always claim to be victims. They have the perfect defense.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.