The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

Let’s play a little game to cool our jets here: The cartoon I am posting picks up on a description of a senator by the former president during the time DJT was under investigation for just about everything, and  the cartoonist includes the remark in his drawing. 

Who spots the reference? DJT had/has an uncanny knack for critiquing others. It appears he can take all the personal barbs thrown at him.

I got the reference, and a person has to be really underinformed to think the cartoon makes a sensible comparison.

It's also a GOP smear of Colonel Vindman (again) comparing his honest testimony to the shifting stories of the GOP's witness against Biden.

Your response makes me believe you didn’t “get it!”

mtierney said:

And what's to get, exactly?

Vindman told the truth.

Babalooey is a liar.

Do you "get it"?

mtierney said:

Can you tell me what facts did Bobulinski present that prove an impeachable offense by President Biden?

drummerboy said:

Vindman told the truth.

Babalooey is a liar.

Do you "get it"?

OK, I can see that no one here can see the obvious, or is too afraid to: “PENCIL NECK” Shift, aka “Shiffty” — before anyone can criticize me for a personal attack, the senator could easily select better shirt collar styles.
Anyone remember who DJT called “eraser head”?

And, when did fat jokes get a seal of approval here, and when is it okay for a young son of a former president to be  called “fair game” on his 18th birthday? Or why a long time liberal political analyst gets a pass for using a mob expression for cleaning up blood in connection to the election?

Biden’s adult son’s transgressions became a political issue when it appeared that he used his family connection in his business dealings with foreign entities. How much the Big Guy cooperated with Hunter is an ongoing story waiting to be told.

I can recall President Truman going ballistic over an under whelming press review of his daughter, Margaret’s piano recital!

Being a trump supporter is really an indicator of degeneracy in seemingly educated people. It’s a mental disorder unlike anything we’ve seen in this country. 

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

Vindman told the truth.

Babalooey is a liar.

Do you "get it"?

OK, I can see that no one here can see the obvious, or is too afraid to: “PENCIL NECK” Shift, aka “Shiffty” — before anyone can criticize me for a personal attack, the senator could easily select better shirt collar styles.

And, when did fat jokes get a seal of approval here, and when is it okay for a young son of a former president to be  called “fair game” on his 18th birthday? Or why a long time liberal political analyst gets a pass for using a mob expression for cleaning up blood in connection to the election?

Biden’s adult son’s transgressions became a political issue when it appeared that he used his family connection in his business dealings with foreign entities. How much the Big Guy cooperated with Hunter is an ongoing story waiting to be told.

I can recall President Truman going ballistic over an under whelming press review of his daughter, Margaret’s piano recital!

I don't have the right wing news decoder ring, so I have no idea what most of this is referring to.  

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Let’s play a little game to cool our jets here: The cartoon I am posting picks up on a description of a senator by the former president during the time DJT was under investigation for just about everything, and  the cartoonist includes the remark in his drawing. 

Who spots the reference? DJT had/has an uncanny knack for critiquing others. It appears he can take all the personal barbs thrown at him.

I got the reference, and a person has to be really underinformed to think the cartoon makes a sensible comparison.

It's also a GOP smear of Colonel Vindman (again) comparing his honest testimony to the shifting stories of the GOP's witness against Biden.

The cartoon depicts Adam Schiff, who is a member of the House of Representatives, not a Senator. And the point of the cartoon isn't his "pencil neck", the point is as I described above.

But speaking of missing the point -

mtierney said:

nohero said:

The cartoon depicts Adam Schiff, who is a member of the House of Representatives, not a Senator. And the point of the cartoon isn't his "pencil neck", the point is as I described above.

mtierney said:

ok, the congressman is running for senator

@drummerboy

from  today’s NYT editorial page — what is your take?

“For many years, Ohio has been thought of as a bellwether state: With rare exceptions, whoever won Ohio in a presidential election won the nation as a whole. But in 2020, Donald Trump won Ohio by about eight points even as Joe Biden led the national popular vote by more than four points and, of course, won the Electoral College vote.

“Then Ohio’s 2022 Senate election was won by J.D. Vance, who has staked out a hard-line ideological position that may be more thoroughly MAGA than that of Trump himself. And in Tuesday’s Republican Senate primary, Trump’s endorsement was enough to propel Bernie Moreno, a former car dealer who has never held elected office, to victory over the preferred candidates of the state’s relatively moderate Republican establishment”

mtierney said:

Can you tell me what facts did Bobulinski present that prove an impeachable offense by President Biden?

mtierney said:

nohero said:

mtierney said:

ok, the congressman is running for senator

You still didn't explain why Trump's insult was the first thing a normal person should have thought of when looking at the ridiculous "cartoon". 

nohero said:

You still didn't explain why Trump's insult was the first thing a normal person should have thought of when looking at the ridiculous "cartoon". 

Take another look!

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Take another look!

I see it now. But it wasn't obvious to me, and it certainly wasn't the first thing I saw in the cartoon. Probably because I don't have every Trumpian insult committed to memory. 

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Take another look!

The vile slander of a decorated combat veteran was the first thing I noticed. If a juvenile insult is the first thing you think of, that probably shows the type of person who Trump appeals to.

humorless people are just so not fun. Add a  judgmental streak and you have a dull boy. So, nohero, you still don’t see it!

Let the witch hunters move quickly on this….

https://www.wsj.com/finance/trump-makes-a-new-fortune-with-public-listing-of-truth-social-93790821?mod=hp_lead_pos1

nohero said:

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Take another look!

The vile slander of a decorated combat veteran was the first thing I noticed. If a juvenile insult is the first thing you think of, that probably shows the type of person who Trump appeals to.

mtierney said:

humorless people are just so not fun. Add a  judgmental streak and you have a dull boy. So, nohero, you still don’t see it!

I think hateful ignorance is the issue here, not a sense of humor.

mtierney said:

@drummerboy

from  today’s NYT editorial page — what is your take?

“For many years, Ohio has been thought of as a bellwether state: With rare exceptions, whoever won Ohio in a presidential election won the nation as a whole. But in 2020, Donald Trump won Ohio by about eight points even as Joe Biden led the national popular vote by more than four points and, of course, won the Electoral College vote.

“Then Ohio’s 2022 Senate election was won by J.D. Vance, who has staked out a hard-line ideological position that may be more thoroughly MAGA than that of Trump himself. And in Tuesday’s Republican Senate primary, Trump’s endorsement was enough to propel Bernie Moreno, a former car dealer who has never held elected office, to victory over the preferred candidates of the state’s relatively moderate Republican establishment”

my take on what?

mtierney said:

Let the witch hunters move quickly on this….

https://www.wsj.com/finance/trump-makes-a-new-fortune-with-public-listing-of-truth-social-93790821?mod=hp_lead_pos1

This is yet another scam and it's really a crime that crap like this is even allowed to happen. Trump may earn a fortune on a worthless company.

Of course, it's all on paper. He'd have to find a buyer for his stocks.

Would someone buying his stock be guilty of bribery or money laundering?

Truth Social stock is the "Hunter Biden's paintings" of Wall Street.

nohero said:

Truth Social stock is the "Hunter Biden's paintings" of Wall Street.

today I learned what a meme stock is. 

mtierney said:

Next time you whine about feeling insulted by the boys club, we'll keep in mind that you simply have no sense of humor.

Today I learnt what a ‘financial smirk’ is. Thank you, Marc Abrams/New Scientist.

It may also apply in this case.

ml1 said:

today I learned what a meme stock is. 

a drummerboy

So, what’s happening in Ohio? Who is Moreno? How in the world did he win?

The immigration crises is the No.1 concern for American voters — no matter they are Democrat or Republican…

By Michelle Hackman FollowMarch 23, 2024 WASHINGTON—There has never been more consensus regarding the need for stricter enforcement policies at the southern border. But every recent effort to make that happen—from a bipartisan Senate border bill to an effort by Texas to take immigration into its own hands—has collapsed or become stuck.

The crisis has grown so acute, and touched so many aspects of American life, that an unprecedented percentage of voters rate immigration as their top issue—and polling shows they crave almost any solution. The failure of government officials to find a lasting solution has left in place a chaotic status quo that is threatening everything from President Biden’s re-election chances to the budgets of big cities, including New York.

Everyone from Biden to Texas GOP Gov. Greg Abbott to Democratic mayors such as New York City’s Eric Adams agrees the situation is untenable. But partisan and ideological divides are getting in the way:

• Republican-led states say they are tired of waiting for tougher border enforcement from a Democratic administration, which in turn doesn’t want to yield a federal responsibility to the states.
  • Some Republican lawmakers don’t want to defy Donald Trump, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, by handing Biden a legislative win with a border deal they see as insufficient anyway.
  • Biden has considered taking broad executive action on immigration but faces opposition from liberals who don’t want him to cave to Republican demands, and from lawyers in his administration who doubt the legality of such moves.

Andrew Selee, president of the Migration Policy Institute, a nonpartisan think tank in Washington, said that after decades of inaction by Congress and inconsistent efforts by successive administrations, immigration enforcement has become fragmented, with cities and states trying to come up with their own regulations.

Members of the Texas National Guard coordinating Thursday with the Border Patrol in El Paso. PHOTO: JUSTIN HAMEL/REUTERS

Confusion regarding the rules, Selee said, has played into the hands of smugglers, who use constantly shifting policies to convince migrants that it is advantageous to try their luck at the border.

“Because there isn’t a clear solution from the top, everyone is trying to find their own fixes,” he said. “But it is actually adding to the chaos.”

In February, roughly 140,000 migrants were arrested crossing into the U.S. illegally, according to the latest government figures. That is well below December, when a record 250,000 were arrested, but up from January’s totals. Meanwhile, the huge surge of asylum seekers entering the country over the past two years has continued to have ripple effects.

New York and Chicago, which have laws requiring them to offer shelter space to anyone who is homeless, have since started kicking migrants out of their systems because they have run out of space. Denver, which has become a new migrant destination this year after Texas started sending buses there from the border, is dealing with sudden holes in its public-education and hospital budgets.

Texas, historically the state where the most migrants have crossed into the U.S., has responded assertively. It has bused migrants to Democratic-led cities across the country, built a stretch of a state-funded border wall and thrown migrants in Texas state jails for allegedly trespassing on private property.

Most recently, it passed a law known as SB 4, which authorizes the state to arrest migrants on suspicion of crossing the border illegally and deport them back to Mexico, setting up a direct challenge to the federal government’s purview over immigration. That challenge played out in dramatic fashion this past week when the Supreme Court gave the green light for the law to take effect, only for it to be blocked again by a lower court hours later.

Already, several other states including Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma have passed or considered similar bills that could be allowed to take effect if the Supreme Court rules in Texas’ favor.

Migrant families at a camp in Brooklyn last month. PHOTO: CHARLY TRIBALLEAU/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES

Courts have played an unprecedented role in recent years in shaping immigration policy. Just under the Biden administration, court challenges from conservative states have forced Biden to reimplement a Trump-era policy known as Remain in Mexico; halt the practice of concentrating limited deportation resources on serious criminals; and continue using Title 42, a pandemic-era measure, for more than a year longer than intended. Biden’s administration ultimately saw courts side with him in all three cases, but he was forced to implement policies he opposed, sometimes for more than a year, in the interim.

“If you ask me who’s setting immigration policy right now, more than anyone I’d say it is the courts,” said Theresa Cardinal Brown, senior adviser for immigration and border policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center in Washington. “And the consequence is, from day to day, the people in charge of managing the border don’t know what the rules are.”

For the first time in a decade, Congress attempted earlier this year to pass a bipartisan immigration compromise measure aimed at deterring illegal crossings—and by implication take away the incentive for states such as Texas to act on their own or sue. But that measure fell apart when Trump urged Republicans to vote against it, and nearly all Republican senators fell in line within hours of his opposition.

Biden has since come under intensifying pressure to issue an executive order or take some other action on the border. But he faces political and practical quandaries.

In saying no to the bipartisan proposal, Republicans said Biden already has all the authority he needs to control the border, an idea rejected by the president and other Democrats, who fear undermining the law with an executive order.

Within the administration, lawyers objected to the main idea under consideration: an asylum ban on any migrant who crosses into the U.S. illegally. For now, the administration has shelved the idea of moving ahead unilaterally, opting instead to continue urging Congress to take up the discarded bill. White House aides have said they are still reviewing options for possible executive action.

Voters, meanwhile, are becoming increasingly frustrated with the high number of illegal crossings and want to see the border managed.

A Wall Street Journal poll conducted in late February found that 20% of voters now rank immigration as their top issue, up from 13% in December and above any other topic, including the economy. In the same poll, 65% of voters said they disapproved of Biden’s handling of border security and 71% said developments in immigration and border security are headed in the wrong direction.

The poll also found voters wanted both stricter border enforcement and more legal pathways for coming to the U.S., with 55% of voters saying they would back building a wall along the border with Mexico, an equal share saying they would deploy U.S. troops to the southern border to enhance security, and 58% backing an increase in the level of legal immigration to the U.S.

“They don’t necessarily care how or why or the politics behind it,” said Kristen Hawn, a Democratic strategist who has worked with centrist members of Congress.

“People vote by how they’re feeling, what they see, their pocketbooks,” she said. “They’re seeing that there is a true crisis on the border. And they’re looking to place blame.”

I come across these MAGA interviews a lot and I refrain from posting them because it's usually just the same old thing.

But this woman is remarkable. I've never seen anyone so deep into the MAGA alternate reality. It's frightening.

mtierney said:

a drummerboy

So, what’s happening in Ohio? Who is Moreno? How in the world did he win?

well, we recently fought back a Republican attempt to limit democracy through referendum,  approved abortion rights, legalized marijuana and there's a decent chance we'll get rid of gerrymandering, so there's some hope amongst the electorate.

All I know about Moreno is that he's MAGA and is a car dealership mogul who spent tons of money on the race, which is probably why he won. People seem to think that his win helps Sherrod Brown in the November. Hope so.

mtierney said:

Can you tell me what facts did Bobulinski present that proves an impeachable offense by President Biden?

FYI MT, Venezuelan and Mexican migrants are being deported/ not processed at the border crossings. There are Russians, Ukrainians, Africans, Middle Eastern migrants who are being held at DHS facilities for about a week while they are being fingerprinted and processed. They are given a document to show their status as asylum seekers. They are free to stay in the USA for two years, while they await their work permits. Then they will be eligible to apply for permanent residency, which is costly. 
This is causing tremendous stress on the racists among us, since we don’t see images of the white migrants and their little children waiting to be processed. This “blood bath your “god fearing guru” is talking about is what he’s hearing from the racists in your party. They’re actually planning on shooting “Mexicans” as they are so ignorant of the difference between the Hispanic people. I heard one saying he’s been practicing shooting cans… now he’s ready to shoot mexi cans… and these are the people you think are gonna make this country great. 
next Friday is a good one to start repentance. 

jamie said:

Can you tell me what facts did Bobulinski present that proves an impeachable offense by President Biden?

it’s like asking baba yaga for her secret ingredients in her cauldron…

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.