The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

As ml1 notes, many of the immigratns mtierney rails against today are following the legal process.

Further, when mtierney's ancestors came, the laws were different and immigration easier. Today the law is harsher and immigration more difficult. Were the laws wrong when mtierney's ancestors came over? And why does mtierney consistently argue for making today's restrictive immigration policies even more restrictive? What makes her ancestors so special, or today's immigrants so terrible, that accounts for her different attitudes toward them?

mtierney said:

One policy was legal the other is not. 

So, if we passed a law to open the border to Latin Americans, the way we did for the Irish (or the Austrians) in the 19th century, you would be fine with that?  Your only qualms are about the legal niceties?

plus ça change...

When Irish Immigrants Weren't Considered 'White'

The struggles of Irish immigrants were compounded by the poor treatment they received from the white, primarily Anglo-Saxon and Protestant establishment. America's existing unskilled workers worried they would be replaced by immigrants willing to work for less than the going rate. And business owners worried that Irish immigrants and African-Americans would band together to demand increased wages.

As a result, locals didn't take kindly to an influx of Irish immigrants competing for resources perceived as limited. In Boston alone, 37,000 Irish immigrants arrived in 1847 — growing the city's population by more than 30 percent, straining employment, rations, housing and relations between populations.

"replaced" sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it?

but as Lyndon Johnson said a century later, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Although Irish immigrants faced oppression in the United States, they also participated in it. African-Americans and Irish were considered by many Northern whites to be on equal footing, but many Irish immigrants quickly embraced "white" identities and became part of the social construct that oppressed African-Americans as an avenue to better employment, interweaving issues of classism and racism.

"Once the Irish secured themselves in those jobs, they made sure blacks were kept out," writes historian Art McDonald. "They realized that as long as they continued to work alongside blacks, they would be considered no different. Later, as Irish became prominent in the labor movement, African Americans were excluded from participation ... And so, we have the tragic story of how one oppressed 'race,' Irish Catholics, learned how to collaborate in the oppression of another 'race,' Africans in America, in order to secure their place in the white republic."

GoSlugs said:

So, if we passed a law to open the border to Latin Americans, the way we did for the Irish (or the Austrians) in the 19th century, you would be fine with that?  Your only qualms are about the legal niceties?

Those earlier immigration laws were far more open in many ways -- no visas, no green cards -- but they were explicitly racist, favoring "white" and seeking to exclude "non-white".

Here's the law that would have been in effect in 1911:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalization_Act_of_1906

And some broader historical context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_laws_concerning_immigration_and_naturalization_in_the_United_States#20th_century

I feel like there's a word for laws -- and support for such laws -- that elevate "white" over others. Maybe RFA knows.

Statistics for New Jersey — just from Jan 2023

mtierney said:

you are definitely the master of changing the subject. 

I guess you didn't want to put on your big girl pants and answer any of our questions. 

mtierney said:

That statistic is for four months, January through April.

mtierney said:

Drug Enforcement Agency: 32,000 Fentanyl Pills Seized at JFK Airport

Good news though, mtierney, they caught the guy.  Rudolf Pierre-Lys.  I saw a picture of him and he is as white as a Klansman's sheet.

Drug Enforcement Agency again, 2 Detroit Men Arrested, Charged for Trafficking 44 Pounds of Fentanyl into Chicago Midway International Airport.

Could it possibly be that an awful lot of the drugs that are killing people in NJ have nothing to do with the Southern border?

Food for thought. It might be that, if you want the facts about an issue, its better to not go dumpster diving for them.

Would one of the resident wing nuts like to explain how defunding the tax police will reduce the deficit?

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

That statistic is for four months, January through April.

I think that's what she said. "From Jan 2023," May hasn't ended so they won't have those stats in yet.

ridski said:

I think that's what she said. "From Jan 2023," May hasn't ended so they won't have those stats in yet.

I see now — “from” as in “since.” Thanks.

DaveSchmidt said:

I see now — “from” as in “since.” Thanks.

My son, the magazine editor, mentioned to me that AI will make copy editors obsolete soon. Will a machine be able to recognize the nuance of from and since?

Thankfully MOL has Ridski on the scene!

mtierney said:

My son, the magazine editor, mentioned to me that AI will make copy editors obsolete soon. Will a machine be able to recognize the nuance of from and since?

Thankfully MOL has Ridski on the scene!

Cost-cutting was already making strides toward copy editor obsolescence. Since good ones also check facts, AI could just as likely be their salvation.

Here’s What Happens When Your Lawyer Uses ChatGPT (NYT gift link)

And let’s see if you remember your gratitude for ridski, which I share, the next time you’re the one he enlightens.

Despite most people's opinions of me, my politics can be swayed by good reasoning, and I do my best to look at all possible good faith arguments. It's just that so many arguments from positions other than mine aren't made in good faith these days, so when I find one that is, I'm happy to defend it. 

In this case, the need for pain-numbing drugs is so complex, I really don't feel qualified to comment on it at all. I certainly don't think I'm a better person than those who end up on these drugs - I feel I'm one bad injury away from someone who may need them. However, many others have mentioned before, the supply follows the market. Who else has a fentanyl problem right now? How bad are the deaths in Mexico? Canada? Singapore? Argentina? 

The US tried to address its issue with substance addiction and violence once before by voting for a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol. It didn't work and you needed another amendment to allow it back in. And both those things happened before the time we're told that America was great (I think the reboot date for MAGA is 1953, right?) 

Maybe the drugs aren't the problem. Maybe it's Americans. Maybe us immigrants need to try to be all Ted Lasso and fix you all first, so you can all be the best version of yourselves. This, at the end, is the most important thing.

{some days like today I wish I could take paracetamol, and ibuprofen, and fentanyl … instead of relying on heat patches and crying. Other days I wish I could sleep the pain & breathlessness & exhaustion away. And that’s just the Crohn’s and polymyalgia…  I’m worse when the frequent migraines kick in.  question }

joanne said:

{some days like today I wish I could take paracetamol, and ibuprofen, and fentanyl … instead of relying on heat patches and crying. Other days I wish I could sleep the pain & breathlessness & exhaustion away. And that’s just the Crohn’s and polymyalgia… I’m worse when the frequent migraines kick in.
question
}

Speaking of gratitude: Even through your pain, joanne, you’re a balm for the rest of us on MOL.

Porta-john graffiti up in the SO reservation.  

Smedley said:

The people speak.

I bought my first hybrid in 2003. People have had 20 years to buy fuel efficient vehicles. I realize there may be exceptions but, for the VAST majority of Americans, if you are still driving a gas guzzler in 2023, that’s on you. 

Make better choices. 

GoSlugs said:

I bought my first hybrid in 2003. People have had 20 years to buy fuel efficient vehicles. I realize there may be exceptions but, for the VAST majority of Americans, if you are still driving a gas guzzler in 2023, that’s on you. 

Make better choices. 

You and I have something in common.  We have both been driving hybrids for many years.  

In much of Merica, the Ford F-150 has become the minivan of the 2020s. 

Smedley said:

Oh goody, bathroom wisdom.  My contribution (in the form of a linerick) is posted below as a picture.

Smedley said:

”Is your life better than it was in 2020?”

Um, yes, if you remember 2020. 

nohero said:

Smedley said:

So much better. 

nohero said:

Smedley said:

seriously, that's a no-brainer.

not to mention the exaggerations in Mr. Bathroom Guy's other statements. Gas prices have come way down since last year's peak, so the estimate of $6 gas in the near term is idiotic. And crime is also down from the pandemic peak.

as if the POTUS has anything to do with those anyway.

But hey, Mr. Bathroom might represent the majority of U.S. voters, who knows?

How do you know it's a Mr. and a Guy? That's quite presumptuous and sexist of you.

I am surprised the person wrote "Trump might not be the answer in 2024" in the context of the other stuff. Perhaps they're advocating for a third-party vote.

Smedley said:

How do you know it's a Mr. and a Guy? That's quite presumptuous and sexist of you.

I am surprised the person wrote "Trump might not be the answer in 2024" in the context of the other stuff. Perhaps they're advocating for a third-party vote.

you're right. It's presumptuous and sexist of me to think the typical woman is a lot smarter than that.

and also presumptuous of me to assume you saw that writing above the urinal.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.