The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

MT is older than Joe Biden…he sounds much more cognizant of what is going on than she does. There’s no smell of roses in the rose garden anymore after her First Lady developed an aversion to the smell of roses.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/14/politics/melania-trump-rose-garden

Anyone who really knows about gardening — particularly growing roses —would know that it ain’t easy — cheap shots for political purposes is dumb. Read  the link and learn.

You are such a hypocrite. You’re concerned when Democratic judicial nominees forget something but when a republican mistake is pointed out, you’re more concerned with something else. Melanie’s ( trump called her that) rose garden alterations are mentioned and you’re right there to defend her. Even you should be able to see your actions at this point. 

Jerseyperson said:

mtierney said:

I understand how experts in the field here might not have known, or would have denied knowing, the unsanitary working condition associated with live markets in China. But China knew. How could they have not? 

on the other hand, we get this….

it seems unacceptable for a judicial nominee but I don’t recall you berating Amy Comey Barrett when she struggled and failed to mention the five freedoms enshrined in the First Amendment. 

Did ACB really fail to mention any of the five ("5") freedoms arising from the First Amendment.

My recollection is that ACB responded with four ("4") of the five ("5") freedoms.  IOW (if my memory is correct), your statement (namely, "failed to mention the five freedoms enshrined in the First Amendment.") is misleading at best.

While Sen. Kennedy's question is odd, Judge Charnelle Bjelkengren definitely failed her job interview there. Maybe if she burst into tears and went off on an any rant about liking vodka or something the Republicans would give her a pass, but I personally wouldn't vote for her based on that answer. 

ETA: Of course, she was being interviewed with 4 other people, and in some cases only had 20 seconds to answer questions. I switched off after Marsha Blackburn came on because... Well, it's Marsha Blackburn, but maybe she redeemed herself in the rest of the hearing, who knows? Definitely not mtierney, she just watched what she was told to watch.

RealityForAll said:

Did ACB really fail to mention any of the five ("5") freedoms arising from the First Amendment.

My recollection is that ACB responded with four ("4") of the five ("5") freedoms.  IOW (if my memory is correct), your statement (namely, "failed to mention the five freedoms enshrined in the First Amendment.") is misleading at best.

so sorry. Please do let me know how you feel about her inability to enumerate all five freedoms. TIA. 

Jerseyperson said:

RealityForAll said:

so sorry. Please do let me know how you feel about her inability to enumerate all five freedoms. TIA.  

My issue was with the misleading/false way that you described ACB's response to the five freedoms question.  ACB described accurately four of the five 1stA freedoms. IOW, a 0.800 batting average with regard to this question.  Yet, your posting states [ACB] "failed to mention the five freedoms".  It appears that you intentionally structured this sentence to give the false impression that ACB was unable to respond at all. IOW, you have falsely portrayed ACB as totally inept and non-responsive.  My hope is that you will just tell the truth.

PS I am not a fan of ACB.  Instead, I am a fan of veritas.

Actually it was an error.  I am aware Comey Barrett only forgot one and the post was written in haste and portly phrased. People really shouldn’t assume things. 

RealityForAll said:

PS I am not a fan of ACB. Instead, I am a fan of veritas.

Veritas is batting only 0.240, but there’s no one better on defense.

Well, thank goodness.

mtierney said:

This NYT article “woke” me up this a.m. (briefly, to reassure the trolls here). Hitler burned books, now we will just decide what books may be published. I really think publishers are putting the final nail in the coffin for bookstores and book lovers. It started with Dr. Seuss and our kids, and now this mindset is going for books yet to see scrutiny by readers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/video-shows-florida-classroom-stripped-of-books-after-desantis-ban/vi-AA16WwGx?t=5

PVW —please show me where the quote you posted above appeared. Not mine.

mtierney said:

PVW —please show me where the quote you posted above appeared. Not mine.

It’s yours. You posted the comment at 10:10 a.m. on April 28, 2021.

PVW had a commonsense reply to it: “Imagine that, publishers deciding which books to publish.”

DaveSchmidt

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:25am

mtierney said:

PVW —please show me where the quote you posted above appeared. Not mine.

It’s yours. You posted the comment at 10:10 a.m. on April 28, 2021.

As it is presently 2/3/23, 9:45am, forgive my forgetfulness — it is not my style, but  Covid was most likely responsible— and to think I was only 89 at the time!

Meanwhile, we're bracing for the hot air from the usual gasbags about the "Chinese Spy Balloon".

mtierney said:

As it is presently 2/3/23, 9:45am, forgive my forgetfulness — it is not my style, but Covid was most likely responsible— and to think I was only 89 at the time!

Forgetfulness: Forgiven. Earlier misplaced certainty: Forgiven. Missed opportunity to do your own search of the MOL archives: Forgiven. Disputable self-evaluation of style: Forgiven. Appeal to age-based sympathy: Forgiven.

All are forgiven.

nohero said:

Meanwhile, we're bracing for the hot air from the usual gasbags about the "Chinese Spy Balloon".

Just curious, who are the "usual gasbags", what do you expect them to say, and how will that differ from your own opinion on the matter? 

Smedley said:

nohero said:

Just curious, who are the "usual gasbags", what do you expect them to say, and how will that differ from your own opinion on the matter? 

You're just needling me to see if I pop off.

Well you basically said "some idiots are gonna be wrong about Chinese spy balloon" and nothing else. I thought that was quite cryptic and could use clarification. But if you're going to be secretive you can be secretive.  

Smedley said:

Well you basically said "some idiots are gonna be wrong about Chinese spy balloon" and nothing else. I thought that was quite cryptic and could use clarification. But if you're going to be secretive you can be secretive.  

I should have realized that you might blow it up all out of proportion.

[Edited to add] Seriously, I wasn't trying to string you along.

Smedley said:

I don't put "gas stoves" and "spy balloon" in the same thought. 

I'm not sure putting Jordan on a committee was a wise move. It's just going to pump up his ego and allow him to inflate things out of proportion. Still, I'm sure he'll find the wind going out of his investigations, leaving him feeling a bit flat.

Your buoyant sense of humor has pricked Smed's overinflated sense of outrage.

PVW said:

I'm not sure putting Jordan on a committee was a wise move. It's just going to pump up his ego and allow him to inflate things out of proportion. Still, I'm sure he'll find the wind going out of his investigations, leaving him feeling a bit flat.

Jim Jordan has experience in dealing with hollow vessels filled with gas.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

As it is presently 2/3/23, 9:45am, forgive my forgetfulness — it is not my style, but Covid was most likely responsible— and to think I was only 89 at the time!

Forgetfulness: Forgiven. Earlier misplaced certainty: Forgiven. Missed opportunity to do your own search of the MOL archives: Forgiven. Disputable self-evaluation of style: Forgiven. Appeal to age-based sympathy: Forgiven.

All are forgiven.

I'll gladly forgive all of that but I would still be interested to hear mter's thoughts on the Florida Man's censorship campaign.  There is a difference between a private company making a business decision and a far right government pulling books off of shelves.

nohero said:

Smedley said:

I should have realized that you might blow it up all out of proportion.

[Edited to add] Seriously, I wasn't trying to string you along.

yes, but who deflated Biden's approval rating?

It's now the "Wuhan Death Balloon", by the way. 

Smedley said:

yes, but who deflated Biden's approval rating?

Approval ratings are subject to the political winds, but clearly Biden's looking at big losses in the 2022 midterms.

Smedley said:

yes, but who deflated Biden's approval rating?Ih, I see you've shifted with the winds. Previously, you would have been asking why Biden's deflated approval ratings caused the weather to change.

Glad to see the question is no longer put as "why did Biden's approval ratings shift the weather."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.