The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

jimmurphy said:

Trump would actually have to work in that job. I don’t see it.

Good point. So Rudy? They have to have better options than McCarthy and Jordan I would think, but I can't see that crew of 10 to 20 voting for anybody reasonable.

This could be interesting.  For today's GOP, preventing the other guy from winning is always more important than winning yourself.  Usually, that just means sticking it to the Libs but now they've applied the principle to intra-party politics. 

I would imagine there are some McCarthy loyalists who would rather die than see the thugs who derailed his candidacy in power.

I read that Elise Stefanik was briefly in the running. What happened with her bid? Could it be revived?

The only thing McCarthy has done successfully is remove the metal detectors that were installed after 1/6/22.

If time runs out to select a Speaker of the House, they go to the penalty kicks.

nohero said:

If time runs out to select a Speaker of the House, they go to the penalty kicks.

If we aren't going to decide this democratically, I suggest we do it via a series of battles to the death with the last man standing winning the speakership (if the GOP still holds the majority).  

If we are going to live in an autocracy, we might as well get some circuses.

nohero said:

Perhaps, like corner kicks, we'll be able to tell what congressional district they're from.

nohero said:

It could work. It would be better than the British parliament which, as we've seen so much last year, is overly reliant on elaborate set-pieces.

Jaytee said:

The only thing McCarthy has done successfully is remove the metal detectors that were installed after 1/6/22.

When your co-worker who poses with guns for a family Christmas picture, is excited about the removal of metal detectors from your workplace - 

nohero said:

When your co-worker who poses with guns for a family Christmas picture, is excited about the removal of metal detectors from your workplace - 

I can't imagine how embarrassing to would be to have her as a Mom.

What was that saying about the definition of madness?

I’m confused - I thought I heard someone (Colbert!) explain that one person can only stand for Speaker 4 times on any one occasion. Well, you know what I mean. cheese

I've never heard that, to be fair. But if they keep nominating the same losing guy 3 times a day, it's not the GQP20 that will wear down. We already have one Republican who's voting Present. It only takes 7 more to give the Speaker gavel to Jeffries.

Anyway, at the end of the 6th vote, nothing has changed. McCarthy is 16 votes short yet again. They're warming up Steve Scalise from what I've read.

One thing I can say is that whenever the TV has a Republican on to speak, they are consistently full of ****.

Since Jeffries is so much closer to winning the majority vote, is there any chance at all that a handful of moderate Republicans would vote for him just to put an end to this nonsense? Any precedent for this sort of switch? 

Zero chance. I think McCarthy will have to get out of the way and let someone else emerge.

OTOH, what's interesting is that if enough R's vote as abstaining (or whatever the technical term is), Jeffries could slip in.

I was surprised to see Boebert giving Trump advice. Good luck with that! I think it could be Scalise, but I'm thinking they might try Stefanik. Maybe they're figuring a few drinks during happy hour and the Dems won't come back at 8pm. 

drummerboy said:

One thing I can say is that whenever the TV has a Republican on to speak, they are consistently full of ****.

C-Span all the way, baby.

I just caught up with Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene. She said that Trump's influence over lawmakers was strong and that his statement Wednesday helped prevent more potential McCarthy defections. Annie Karni, NYT

I wonder if Greene realizes her comment is not complimentary for McCarthy. Effectively saying, if not for Trump, McCarthy is too weak keep his members in line

This whole show is also a reminder of the asymmetry between the parties. The left wing of the Democratic party (for some definition of "left" -- in Fox World, feel free to prepend "radical") has nothing like the power over its party that the far-right does over the Republican party.

PVW said:

This whole show is also a reminder of the asymmetry between the parties. The left wing of the Democratic party (for some definition of "left" -- in Fox World, feel free to prepend "radical") has nothing like the power over its party that the far-right does over the Republican party.

That's because the Republican fringe consists of a bunch of nutters.

It would not surprise me if they never decide on a Speaker. I believe that many of these right wingers would be proud of shutting down the House permanently. 

Heard something that one speaker was elected after 116  Ballots!

ml1 said:

It would not surprise me if they never decide on a Speaker. I believe that many of these right wingers would be proud of shutting down the House permanently. 

Not what they want.

They want power. To be the decision makers. To be the ones who determines the future of our nation.

Don't underestimate them.

RTrent said:

ml1 said:

Not what they want.

They want power. To be the decision makers. To be the ones who determines the future of our nation.

Don't underestimate them.

wouldn't they be wielding power by gridlocking the Congress? It's not like that group of extremists is planning to pass any legislation.

One of the things I heard was they don't want the sane Republicans getting involved in fundraising for primaries so they can get more Gaetzes, Biggs, MTGs, Boeberts and Gosars in there.

McCarthy -

I'll do anything, anything. Look I bought brand new shiny kneepads (the old ones having been worn down servicing Trump). You want me to crawl? Yes, I'll do it.

Crawl over broken glass? I'll do that too.

Without knee pads? Fine. Whatever it takes.

A comment from one the ahole obstructionists - 

"Is he going to fight for us? Is he willing to shut the government down?" Representative Ralph Norman, who has voted against McCarthy all six times, told Reuters. "His history has not been that."

The problem has been that previous government shutdowns were partial. A few months ago I read a comment from a Republican candidate saying we'll work to shutdown government if we don't get what we want. That the Fed government is not needed.

You don't need the Federal government? OK. Lets have a real shutdown. No customs service so that imports are stopped and no international maritime, no airline flights due to FAA shutdown, no sending out social security and other benefit payments, no weather service, no interstate or international banking, no Federal Reserve, no Federal courts or law enforcement, etc. 

Then people may realize what a real shutdown is. Which would not last more than a day.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.