The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

Too deep for me, DB. How are things in red Ohio?

To those who blame the GOP for fearing early return counting would inevitably lead to cheating by their opposition, I rest my case. After this squeaker, I think both sides need to reconsider their options — before 2024.

Not sure what you think your case is, or where you think you're resting it.

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

If eagles are birds, why are there cats?

To those who blame the GOP for fearing early return counting would inevitably lead to cheating by their opposition, I rest my case. After this squeaker, I think both sides need to reconsider their options — before 2024.

In one post you said you were being patient. In the next post you asked why things can't be faster. Now you're saying it's good that things aren't faster. What is your case exactly?

ridski said:

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

If eagles are birds, why are there cats?

In one post you said you were being patient. In the next post you asked why things can't be faster. Now you're saying it's good that things aren't faster. What is your case exactly?

It's a Professor Irwin Corey explanation, I think.

ridski said:

just remember this my friend: GOP good, Dems bad. 

And then it all makes sense. 

ml1 said:

just remember this my friend: GOP good, Dems bad. 

And then it all makes sense. 

The GOP could annex the Sudetenland and wouldn't lose mt's vote.

Mtierney, have you considered joining the ‘volunteers’ that tally votes? Over here, that team are actually casually employed workers, specially hired for the occasion, and the team includes many people your age. (More rest breaks are allowed)

It’s quite eye-opening to see what’s actually involved, and makes the apparently-silly rules more understandable. 
Now, over here, in many places we use proportional voting which you call ranked voting, Makes tallying a little more complicated. But not much. Still takes us about the same time to complete the total count as you. Except once - in the 90s for a State election, the result went Court since only a few votes separated winner and second (less than 100 votes). 

Early counting will be complicated by security/integrity of daily totals for each booth, often used for many activities. Ballot boxes are locked and securely stored offsite. It will be a nightmare if they’re broken up and tallied.  question

@joanne.  It’s complicated over here, even with “more rest breaks” in my view.

mtierney said:

@joanne.  It’s complicated over here, even with “more rest breaks” in my view.

that's the weirdest cartoon yet. 

[Another thing: I only fully realised today that Ms Pelosi is older than Mr Biden. How come no-one was criticising her age and saying she should retire because of it???]

joanne said:

[Another thing: I only fully realised today that Ms Pelosi is older than Mr Biden. How come no-one was criticising her age and saying she should retire because of it???]

Good question. Could be because Biden appears less sharp than she does. (Though I personally think that a lot of that is still due to his stutter.) Also Speaker is just considered to be a lot less critical a position then President - fair or not. No one is telling Mitch McConnell he's too old either and he's 80.

drummerboy said:

joanne said:

Good question. Could be because Biden appears less sharp than she does. (Though I personally think that a lot of that is still due to his stutter.) Also Speaker is just considered to be a lot less critical a position then President - fair or not. No one is telling Mitch McConnell he's too old either and he's 80.

Chuck Grassley's 89 and just got voted in for another 6 years.

I not wild about having a gerontocracy.

Nobody over 70 should be permitted to serve on the Supreme Court, the House, the Senate and the White House.

Tjohn, I generally would agree with your point however my 96yo friend is mentally so sharp and physically stronger than I am (for most of the day) - she does her own gardening, washing, cooking, most of her own cleaning (accepts some help so she can claim other supports such as govt-supported transport, group social activities etc). She carries her own heavy shopping bags. She’s in charge of her own finances, and she’s better at bookkeeping than I am! 
she’s awake at 4:30am, and starts feeling sleepy 12 hours later, usually in bed by sundown. She’s raised four or five children of her own while running a farming business, then raising some of the grandchildren while the parents worked. This includes even now, while several of the grandkids have finished uni and become established in difficult professions - she’s still cooking for them, doing their laundry, watching their younger kids.
Some matriarchs/patriarchs just can’t stop cheesecheese

Joanne,

It isn't so much of a sharpness issue as it is one of having leaders who are in touch with current concerns.  Rare is the old person is isn't still thinking, at least in part, in terms of yesterday's battles and yesterday's slights.

tjohn said:

Joanne,

It isn't so much of a sharpness issue as it is one of having leaders who are in touch with current concerns.  Rare is the old person is isn't still thinking, at least in part, in terms of yesterday's battles and yesterday's slights.

Correct.

Modern democracies force retirement at a certain age. In Germany judges are retired at age 65 or 66. In the UK their judges are retired at age 75.

RTrent said:

tjohn said:

Joanne,

Correct.

Modern democracies force retirement at a certain age. In Germany judges are retired at age 65 or 66. In the UK their judges are retired at age 75.

States have a retirement age for judges.  Even the Federal Judiciary has a "senior status" for judges who want to continue on the bench. There should be "senior status" for Supreme Court justices, so replacements can be appointed.

nohero said:

States have a retirement age for judges.  Even the Federal Judiciary has a "senior status" for judges who want to continue on the bench. There should be "senior status" for Supreme Court justices, so replacements can be appointed.

Senior status applies only after a judge voluntarily retires. You can be an active Federal district judge at age 100 if you live that long.

RTrent said:

nohero said:

Senior status applies only after a judge voluntarily retires. You can be an active Federal district judge at age 100 if you live that long.

Yes, I am aware of that.  I think it can be improved, at least with respect to Supreme Court justices, such as adding a justice for any one which have reached a certain age but stay on the Court.

@mtierney

I see the Republicans are getting right down to doing things for the American people.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans-identify-42-biden-administration-200515729.html

tjohn said:

@mtierney

I see the Republicans are getting right down to doing things for the American people.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans-identify-42-biden-administration-200515729.html

Instead of fixing the country we'll have two years of circus. Elect clowns, expect a circus..

Well, HG isn’t fighting yesterday’s battles in her political opinions, tjohn and RTrent. She’s using sound economics, IR legislation (from here, Europe and USA) and simple logic to question Elon Musk over Twitter decisions. She regularly tells our televised MP to walk from his local office down to her house and explain himself (he’s now in Opposition so  no longer in Cabinet, but while a Murdoch favourite has very questionable business ethics). 

I really love enthusiastic, passionate younger people wanting to be involved with big civic works and all levels of government. I love it when they’re working with us in the elections and referenda processes, and catch the fairness/transparency bugs. Right down to the colours of the clothes we wear. I love how they fight for and defend the greater advocacy for each individual to participate freely at all levels of society…..   sorry. It’s the middle of your night, and I’m on a tangent. 

joanne said:

Well, HG isn’t fighting yesterday’s battles in her political opinions, tjohn and RTrent. She’s using sound economics, IR legislation (from here, Europe and USA) and simple logic to question Elon Musk over Twitter decisions. She regularly tells our televised MP to walk from his local office down to her house and explain himself (he’s now in Opposition so  no longer in Cabinet, but while a Murdoch favourite has very questionable business ethics). 

I really love enthusiastic, passionate younger people wanting to be involved with big civic works and all levels of government. I love it when they’re working with us in the elections and referenda processes, and catch the fairness/transparency bugs. Right down to the colours of the clothes we wear. I love how they fight for and defend the greater advocacy for each individual to participate freely at all levels of society…..   sorry. It’s the middle of your night, and I’m on a tangent. 

who's HG?

My elderly friend. 

drummerboy said:

who's HG?

Hermione Granger. 

mtierney said:

who cares? when hypocrisy such as this is the norm….

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/us/politics/us-saudi-mbs-khashoggi-murder.html

Seriously. It seems hypocritical that you had no problem with TFG being immune from prosecution while in office. 

mtierney said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/us/politics/us-saudi-mbs-khashoggi-murder.html

Now that your side is taking over the the house ("Ready Set Go!") we'll never find the answer to this question...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/02/us/politics/jared-kushner-house-investigation.html

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

who's HG?

Hermione Granger. 

Hilda Goolittle.

mtierney said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/us/politics/trump-organization-oman-saudi.html

you if all people should use the word “hypocritical” on a very public message board.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.