The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

tjohn said:

The elections were:

1.  A defeat for Trump and his election denying disciples.

2.  A win for democracy

3.  A win for women's right to choose.

BINGO !

Presidential approval ratings ain't what they used to be. For a Democratic president the ceiling for approval rating is ~55%. Because roughly 35% of the country will disapprove of a Democrat reflexively. When Joe Biden took office, he had an approximately 35% "strongly disapprove" score before he had even done anything. No Democratic president for the foreseeable future is going to score much above 10% approval among Republicans.

(fwiw, Biden had a 4% approval rating among Republicans in a recent Gallup Poll.  Maybe that's why presidential approval wasn't all that predictive of final results in the midterm this year.)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/403970/biden-job-approval-back-down.aspx

ml1 said:

Presidential approval ratings ain't what they used to be. For a Democratic president the ceiling for approval rating is ~55%. Because roughly 35% of the country will disapprove of a Democrat reflexively. When Joe Biden took office, he had an approximately 35% "strongly disapprove" score before he had even done anything. No Democratic president for the foreseeable future is going to score much above 10% approval among Republicans.

(fwiw, Biden had a 4% approval rating among Republicans in a recent Gallup Poll.  Maybe that's why presidential approval wasn't all that predictive of final results in the midterm this year.)

I know it's Wikipedia, but it's interesting that Trump's approval rating NEVER went over 49% while every other president since FDR went well above 60% except for Biden. Biden peaked at 57% right after he became president.  I agree he'll never go above ~55% because of the current political climate. 

Everyone had a disapproval rating below 40% except for Kennedy, Eisenhower, and FDR. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_approval_rating

yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

I know it's Wikipedia, but it's interesting that Trump's approval rating NEVER went over 49% while every other president since FDR went well above 60% except for Biden. Biden peaked at 57% right after he became president.  I agree he'll never go above ~55% because of the current political climate. 

Everyone had a disapproval rating below 40% except for Kennedy, Eisenhower, and FDR. 

it's pretty astounding that only 4% of Republicans approve of Biden's job performance. 

I'll also add that I personally have an issue with the whole idea of "approval" for a president. I approve of some of what they do, and disapprove of other things. Some of the issues are important to me, others not so much. If I was given the choice of "neither approve nor disapprove", that probably would have been my response for both Biden and Obama. 

yahooyahoo said:

That's an important point that often gets lost -- Trump is and always has been historically unpopular.

Smedley said:

Agreed. Trump is a singularly loathsome and despicable person. 

So far, despite Republican losses there hasn't been any violent attempts to reject the outcomes, and losing candidates have generally been conceding. I think this further highlights the uniquely destructive power of Trump personally. Absent the same kind of prominence and platforms he used to enjoy, we're seeing the absence of the kind of violence he used to inspire.

PVW said:

Smedley said:

Agreed. Trump is a singularly loathsome and despicable person. 

So far, despite Republican losses there hasn't been any violent attempts to reject the outcomes, and losing candidates have generally been conceding. I think this further highlights the uniquely destructive power of Trump personally. Absent the same kind of prominence and platforms he used to enjoy, we're seeing the absence of the kind of violence he used to inspire.

Yes. Every pol who signed on to the Big Lie for their own political gain or whatever other reason(s) is loathsome and shameful in their own way. But there's only one person who orchestrated the whole thing.   

dave said:

Roy Cohn?

In spirit, even though not in person.

This is not one of those new fake accounts on the Twitter.  This is the actual groveling sycophant.

Warning: Some of the language and the sucking up may be disturbing to some readers.

He's gunning for VP, where the brownest nose wins.

The reviews are starting to come in.  Here's the National Review - 

nohero said:

MT has been dumbfounded since Tuesday…

nohero said:

National Review 2022: No.

National Review 2023: Well...

National Review 2024: Oh all right, you've twisted my arm. No literally, please stop twisting my arm, dude, it hurts.

If Amazon can deliver anything anywhere within 24 hours, why can’t Elections happen on Election day?

Why are  mailed in ballots not counted upon collection? They then would  be ready to be included in the results in a timely manner.

Cheating potential? No possible fix on that? Maybe we need to rethink how we vote.

mtierney said:

Why are  mailed in ballots not counted upon collection? They then would  be ready to be included in the results in a timely manner. 

In Pennsylvania, it’s because the Republican-controlled legislature rejected early counting unless drop boxes were banned.

mtierney said:

If Amazon can deliver anything anywhere within 24 hours, why can’t Elections happen on Election day?

Cheating potential? No possible fix on that? Maybe we need to rethink how we vote.

Can you list the problems you are solving before you rush to change the system?

Why don't we hold elections on the first Saturday and Sunday of November to make it easier for people to vote?

Why don't we make it easier for people to vote?  I've never really had to wait in line to vote - a perk of living in prosperous suburbs.  But for many people - particularly in poor urban areas - there can be long lines.

The delays in results come from two ends -- volume and processing.

On the volume side, to your Amazon analogy, in fact Amazon can't deliver anything anywhere in the country within 24 hours. I've been a Prime member for a while, and I've definitely observed longer delivery times than in the past. This isn't surprising, considering that the volume of things Amazon delivers has grown significantly. Similarly, if you look at voting, the number of voters has gone up in most parts of the country (both from natural population increase, and from higher voter turnout in recent elections).

What about the processing side? What does Amazon do? They hire more people. What about voting? Have we been hiring more people and investing more resources to handle increased volume? No. In fact, your party goes out of its way to kneecap our ability to run smooth elections.

Consider early voting -- one obvious way to make the votes go faster would be to start counting votes once they start arriving, right? And yet:

How Republicans have prevented mail ballots from being counted earlier (WaPo)

We absolutely could have smoother, faster voting. But one party -- the Republican party -- doesn't want that to happen.

mtierney said:

If eagles are birds, why are there cats?

mtierney said:

Here's the Washington Post Kids section explaining it for you:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/kidspost/2022/11/07/us-elections-vote-counting-process/

States make the rules

When the Founding Fathers set up the election process, they didn’t include many details. They left the “Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections of Senators and Representatives” up to state lawmakers, according to the United States Constitution. As the nation has grown and technology has developed, the process has become more complicated.

“We have 50 different ways of doing things,” Macht said.

Each state figures out what it thinks will work for its residents, whether they live in big cities, small towns or remote areas.

Voting times may include casting votes days or weeks in advance and on Election Day. The places may be a mailbox, a drop box or assigned polling place in neighborhoods. And the “manner” could be using paper ballots marked by hand and then scanned; machines that put marks on paper (often from votes marked on a display screen); or machines that feed votes directly into a vote-counting computer system. The hand-marked ballot system is the most widely used.

After voters have finished casting ballots Tuesday, election officials and volunteers have a lot of work to do. Each voting location, or precinct, needs to secure the ballots then transfer them to the local elections office. After they do that, the city or county will often post those results on its website. But those results are not official, even if all the precincts have finished reporting.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

In Pennsylvania, it’s because the Republican-controlled legislature rejected early counting unless drop boxes were banned.

Again, showing us how uninformed mtierney is. Its common knowledge that its the Republican legislators that are the ones who block the counting of mail in votes before election day. 

Whereupon they will argue that mail in voting doesn't work, get id of it. Which is to their advantage. Decreasing mail in voting hinders urban voters who are more often burdened with long time consuming voting lines.

Even Murdoch's rag, the NY Post admits that delayed counting is a Republican effort.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/05/swing-state-gop-lawmakers-refused-early-vote-processing-sewing-current-chaos/

RTrent said:

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

Again, showing us how uninformed mtierney is. Its common knowledge that its the Republican legislators that are the ones who block the counting of mail in votes before election day. 

Whereupon they will argue that mail in voting doesn't work, get id of it. Which is to their advantage. Decreasing mail in voting hinders urban voters who are more often burdened with long time consuming voting lines.

Even Murdoch's rag, the NY Post admits that delayed counting is a Republican effort.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/05/swing-state-gop-lawmakers-refused-early-vote-processing-sewing-current-chaos/

absolutely. So that when the results change as more ballots are counted they can tell their base that the election was "rigged."

drummerboy said:

If eagles are birds, why are there cats?

Too deep for me, DB. How are things in red Ohio?

To those who blame the GOP for fearing early return counting would inevitably lead to cheating by their opposition, I rest my case. After this squeaker, I think both sides need to reconsider their options — before 2024.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.