The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

OK - do you support migrants who want entry to the U.S. based on U.S. laws?

yes. it’s called “legal’ entry.

You obviously don't know what that means.

ml1 said:

so why are you so adamantly opposed to the U.S. taking in refugees in 2022? 

we're never going to get an answer to. this, are we?

ml1 said:

Nope. She'll refuse to admit that the asylum seekers she dehumanizes as "illegals" have a legal right to claim asylum. She'll hide behind the claim to support legal immigration while supporting politicians who work to close off those legal paths.

Every time the student loan proposal gets explained, or gets analyzed, it’s a numbers game. it reeks  of plausible deniability. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/26/opinion/biden-student-loan-forgiveness.html

ml1 said:

ml1 said:

so why are you so adamantly opposed to the U.S. taking in refugees in 2022?

mtierney said:

Every time the student loan proposal gets explained, or gets analyzed, it’s a numbers game. it reeks  of plausible deniability. 

Classic mtierney.

PVW said:

Classic mtierney.

I know a loaded question when I see one! Also, have given my reasons for concern over uncontrolled immigration many times. 

mtierney said:

CJ Powell, the chief-of-staff for post-secondary education at the U.S. Department of Education, gave federal loan holders a glimpse of what they might expect next year with their payments.

Powell said that under the new plan, payments would be recalculated based on whatever the borrower has left to pay, and many could see their payments drop.

“We estimate the average borrower on a standard repayment plan will see their monthly payments drop by around $200 to $300 a month,” Powell said. “Your servicer will inform you of your new payment amount and terms around 45 days prior to the end of the payment pause.”

https://www.nj.com/education/2022/09/student-loan-forgiveness-update-borrowers-monthly-bills-could-drop-by-up-to-300.html

mtierney said:

I know a loaded question when I see one! Also, have given my reasons for concern over uncontrolled immigration many times. 

Maybe you can go over to the Maplewood Specific board and congratulate Jonesey who immigrated here years ago and just became a citizen.

Right now, our VP keeps churning out gaffes…

Just a heartbeat away…..

mtierney said:

PVW said:

Classic mtierney.

Like the Irish? Who came during the mid 1980's? Who were considered filthy vermin by protestant nativists and many others? 

Do you any idea how much control there was over immigration? None. They got off the boat, were immediately met by a representative of local political party (in NY Tammany Hall), brought over to a local judge who that day gave them citizenship provided they joined the party.

What part of uncontrolled immigration bothers you? South of the border? Were you bothered years ago when the restaurants and bars at Jersey Shore were loaded Irish accent servers? Servers that came over as students and tourist? Unlike the south of the border immigrants who are coming over legally, asking for asylum per federal law.

mtierney said:

Right now, our VP keeps churning out gaffes…

Just a heartbeat away…..

Yes, a gaffe. She said North instead of South. Maybe she was thinking of S Korea's issues with N Korea.

A gaffe is different from someone who can't even think. Like when that Trump asked about irradiating one's inside with UV light. That's not a gaffe. That's having the intellect of an imbecile. But that didn't bother you.

1980s? You are about a hundred years off!

The Irish were needed for their strong backs more than their Democratic votes. They  came off the boat, handed a shovel, and told to dig.

And dig they did.

The Irish prospered and became firemen, police officers, and politicians. The rest is history.

My grandparents arrived in the late 1850s. They had 6 children, the youngest, my father, was born in NYC in 1888. He was a truck driver, delivering office furniture from Jersey City to Manhattan, before he was drafted into the infantry during WW1.

mtierney said:

My grandparents arrived in the late 1850s. 

What visas did they come in on?

mtierney said:

1980s? You are about a hundred years off!

The Irish were needed for their strong backs more than their Democratic votes. They  came off the boat, handed a shovel, and told to dig.

And dig they did.

The Irish prospered and became firemen, police officers, and politicians. The rest is history.

My grandparents arrived in the late 1850s. They had 6 children, the youngest, my father, was born in NYC in 1888. He was a truck driver, delivering office furniture from Jersey City to Manhattan, before he was drafted into the infantry during WW1.

I don't know what made write mid 1980's. When I wrote it I was thinking mid 1800's. 

An you're correct. The Irish prospered and overcame the bigotry against them because of their very hard work.

RTrent said:

I don't know what made write mid 1980's. When I wrote it I was thinking mid 1800's. 

An you're correct. The Irish prospered and overcame the bigotry against them because of their very hard work.

and they had white skin

RTrent said:

In the 1980s NYC construction crews were filled with undocumented Irish immigrants. And a lot of wealthy New Yorkers employed undocumented Irish nannies in their homes. 

Then by the late 90s most of them moved back when the Irish economy improved. And they also weren't keen on living without health insurance in the U.S. 

ridski said:

What visas did they come in on?

my ancestors came over in the 1870s. That was before the facility on Ellis Island was built. So I'm figuring they didn't need any stinkin' papers. 

mtierney said:

it's actually an easy question if you've thought at all about your position on the issue. Why are you against the U.S. accepting asylum seekers from Central and South America today? Because the asylum process is legal. And nearly all of the asylum applicants follow the process and show up for their hearings. It's not an "uncontrolled" process. 

I think I know why you don't want these refugees in the U.S. Especially because you don't seem to be able to form a reasoned argument against. You just keep shifting the conversation to "illegals" even though the people in question are following a completely legal process. 

ml1 said:

RTrent said:

and they had white skin

White skin didn't prevent them from being considered as filthy, dirty, almost sub-human drunkards.

Then Asians from China were also treated very poorly. They didn't have white skin. No Chinese, No Dogs signs were popular at that time.

RTrent said:

White skin didn't prevent them from being considered as filthy, dirty, almost sub-human drunkards.

Then Asians from China were also treated very poorly. They didn't have white skin. No Chinese, No Dogs signs were popular at that time.

but one generation in, and the Irish were as white as anyone else. 

This country has been inhabited by WOPs for over 200 years…

Jaytee said:

This country has been inhabited by WOPs for over 200 years…

Are you sure that was the acronym you wanted to use?

True, or False? 

Start praying that the Big Guy can stumble along for the next couple of years? Or praying that Putin is put in  Russian prison and never heard from again? 

If Biden is just a placeholder, as was predicted, who do you see with the potential to win the hearts and minds of American voters? 

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/09/29/democrats-biden-midterms-00059566q

Jaytee said:

With Out Papers…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wop

False etymologies[edit]

One false etymology or backronym of wop is that it is an acronym for "without passport" or "without papers", implying that Italian immigrants entered the U.S. as undocumented or illegal immigrants.[9][10][11] The term has nothing to do with immigration documents, as these were not required by U.S. immigration officers until 1924,[12] after the slur had already come into use in the United States.[10]

The British who landed at Plymouth Rock came without papers… I’ve heard Italian people call Chinese in Chinatown wop…if it’s offensive to one group then it’s offensive to everyone who came to America without papers. Including the colonizers. I’m not offended! 

My parents came with papers. But that doesn't stop people from assuming my mom didn't.

Middle class, professional people, and still they get that sh*, because at the end of the day racism and prejudice doesn't care.

People like mtierney claim they're worried about illegal immigration. Bull. It's all just hatred and fear.

Jaytee said:

The British who landed at Plymouth Rock came without papers… I’ve heard Italian people call Chinese in Chinatown wop…if it’s offensive to one group then it’s offensive to everyone who came to America without papers. Including the colonizers. I’m not offended! 

can't you read? It has nothing to do with "without papers".

The word is a slur against Italians. Period.

Can't believe I need to explain this in the year 2022.

Jaytee said:

Actually, I've heard something like that. Referring to the Chinese who pushed them out of their Italian enclave something like as "look at those WOP's or look who're the WOP's now". The wonders of human nature.

Definitions and meanings can change. WOP now seems to be known as and widely accepted as "Without Papers." Look at the word "gay". The 19th century meaning for a gay person being completely different by the latter 20th Century.

I wonder how many Italians know the original definition.

drummerboy said:

can't you read? It has nothing to do with "without papers".

The word is a slur against Italians. Period.

Can't believe I need to explain this in the year 2022.

Gee,  db, something we can agree on. You are exactly right. The language police have corrupted a number of “innocent” words or expressions, to assert its control over how and what say. 

Growing up in Brooklyn in the ‘30s and ‘40s, neighborhoods were segregated by blocks of square heads, micks, wops, etc. Inhumane in 2022,and  perhaps vicious, stupid, all of the above, but the usage depicted the era truthfully. 

Watch some TCM films films of the era and you will get an earful. Incidentally, I think the black and white early movies have superb “colors” — who knew black had so many colorations? Watch The Third Man with Orson Wells, for example. The music alone is haunting.

Fred Astaire’s film, The Gay Divorcee,  is breezy and lighthearted — one might say “gay”? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.