The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mountainhouse said:

And poor Susan Rice, who appears to have gone into hiding (so she won't be put into a position of lying?), comes across looking dishonest and/or clueless. And a sacrificial lamb.

No! No! No!

Rice's infamous 5 interviews have been twisted out of recognition by every mainstream media outlet. It is not her fault, or the administration's fault, that the media can't be trusted to tell the truth.

eta: What Rice really said
http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/10/11/fox-news-reimagines-amb-susan-rices-remarks-on/190539

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

Was it not "shameless exploitation" to finger one man and a short video for the Benghazi horror? Over and over again for several weeks - even before the United Nations?

Show us where they did that. Tell us what he said to the UN.

You're just regurgitating - you have no clue as to what actually was said. Abysmal, really.

OK. At the time we were dealing with demonstrations about the video in multiple countries, so a discussion of the video was proper.

Where does he tie the attack to the video?

You know, of course, that denial is a river in Egypt.

mtierney said:

Google the president remarks and you will see the following:

OBAMA: For as the city outside these walls makes clear, we are a country that has welcomed people of every race and every faith. We are home to Muslims who worship across our country. We not only respect the freedom of religion, we have laws that protect individuals from being harmed because of how they look or what they believe.

We understand why people take offense to this video because millions of our citizens are among them. I know there are some who ask why don't we just ban such a video. The answer is enshrined in our laws. Our Constitution protects the right to practice free speech. 

Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As president of our country, and commander in chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day, and I will always defend their right to do so. 

Okay, please tell us what is offensive, in the remarks you quoted. I don't see it.

drummerboy said:

OK. At the time we were dealing with demonstrations about the video in multiple countries, so a discussion of the video was proper.

If you read the entire speech, he addresses the deaths in Benghazi and then continues to the remarks I quoted. No mention of a terrorist action, just the unfortunate video and religious right to worship. It was artful, but an obvious effort to deflect attention from a planned, organized attack on the anniversary of 9/11.

HE CALLS IT AN ACT OF TERROR!!!

An attack on a diplomatic post is an affront to both the host government and to the government whose post it was. Strictly speaking, the security of diplomats is the responsibility of the host government. It is therefore not easy to intervene militarily when to do so would undermine the authority of a host government that the intervening power wishes to maintain. Doubly so if the host government is weak or divided.

The decision to intervene must consider many factors. We should be grateful that placating ignorant posters on MOL is not one of them.

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

If you read the entire speech, he addresses the deaths in Benghazi and then continues to the remarks I quoted. No mention of a terrorist action, just the unfortunate video and religious right to worship. It was artful, but an obvious effort to deflect attention from a planned, organized attack on the anniversary of 9/11.

If you say so. Pretty weak tea if you ask me.
Should we impeach him for this egregious act?

This desperation would be pathetic enough... but trying so hard to blame the president for the deaths of these people makes it disgusting.

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

Actually... to put it less than politely, you are full of crap. If you actually read the entire speech, which I have done, he talks about the deaths in Benghazi and Chris Stevens, and then he goes on to talk about the mideast turmoil throughout the region over the two weeks prior to the speech. He talks about Tunisians, Egyptians and Libyans, transitions of power in Malawi and Senegal, Somalia, Burma... he talks about "...extremists who fan the flames of hate and division. From Northern Ireland to South Asia; from Africa to the Americas; from the Balkans to the Pacific Rim, we’ve witnessed convulsions that can accompany transitions to a new political order..."

THEN he says this: "In every country, there are those who find different religious beliefs threatening; in every culture, those who love freedom for themselves must ask themselves how much they are willing to tolerate freedom for others. That is what we saw play out in the last two weeks, as a crude and disgusting video sparked outrage throughout the Muslim world."

...and only THEN does he go on to talk bout the video. And everything he says is completely accurate.

So give it up.

Edited to add... for those whocare about reality, here is the speech:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/25/president-obamas-prepared-remarks-at-the-u-n-general-assembly/comment-page-6/

Ouch. That's going to leave a mark.

Just 3 days before election day CBS News decided to release additional footage from their September 12 2012 interview with President Obama. The interview occurred just hours after Obama gave his Rose Garden speech on the Libyan embassy attack:

KROFT: Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word terrorism in connection with the Libya Attack, do you believe that this was a terrorist attack?

OBAMA: Well it's too early to tell exactly how this came about, what group was involved, but obviously it was an attack on Americans. And we are going to be working with the Libyan government to make sure that we bring these folks to justice, one way or the other.

http://cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50134495n&tag=mg;60minutes

Shame on CBS News. Our nation no longer has a functioning free press.

Actually, CBS posted the story on Sunday (November 4, 2012 3:53 PM), with only one day left before election day.

Do you disagree that one day after the attack was too early to know?

You should join the CIA, you obviously are infinitely smarter and more capable than they are.

The "revelations" concerning Benghazi will be mind blowing now that the elections are behind us. The official report done in Nov. is scheduled for release in Dec. NBC, ABC and CBS are down in the ratings for a reason. They stopped any pretense at investigative reporting a long time ago. The broadcast networks are too busy dumbing us down with vapid sitcoms.

This foreign affairs blundering on the part of the Obama administration was a scary preview of how the next four years will be played out!

Sitcoms are a shocking new development, aren't they.

tom said:

Wrong again, Tom! Sarcasm never works. And it is so unbecoming.

I watched I love Lucy and Mary Tyler Moore live! I really think the networks should give up news programming entirely and concentrate on reality shows, trashy chat shows, and dopey couplings of 20 somethings. Who really sits down at 6 pm to watch talking heads pontificate today? The ratings show how bad things are. People have smart phones, iPads, laptops, etc to follow what's happening.

Election night one cable news hour clocked in 7 million viewers!

The fact remains that the networks collaborated on stifling and blunting reports and investigation of a terrorist attack and the murder of four Americans. The fact remains that Washington told a untruthful tale, for over a month, trying to suppress the story.

mtierney said:

The "revelations" concerning Benghazi will be mind blowing now that the elections are behind us. The official report done in Nov. is scheduled for release in Dec. NBC, ABC and CBS are down in the ratings for a reason. They stopped any pretense at investigative reporting a long time ago. The broadcast networks are too busy dumbing us down with vapid sitcoms.

This foreign affairs blundering on the part of the Obama administration was a scary preview of how the next four years will be played out!

heh. you put revelations in scare quotes. as well it should be.
But at least Fox is still leading the way in investigative journalism!
(which they somehow manage to do without any actual investigative journalists)
:facepalm:

I guess the frothing-at-the-mouth wing learned nothing Tuesday night.

Fox News and Rush Limbaugh are becoming big problems for Republicans. The echo chamber is getting bad information, and repeating it endlessly to the bubble, just telling people what they want to hear rather than the truth. They are just wrong, all the time, and Tuesday should have been a wake-up call.

The Republican Party is going to have to enter the real world, where facts and numbers matter, if it hopes to survive as a legitimate party in this country.

mtierney said:

tom said:

Election night one cable news hour clocked in 7 million viewers!

Wow. That's almost twice the audience of an average episode of Firefly.

They cancelled Firefly, yet somehow cable news is still allowed to exist.

Tom said:

Matthew said:

Just [1 day] before election day CBS News decided to release additional footage from their September 12 2012 interview with President Obama. The interview occurred just hours after Obama gave his Rose Garden speech on the Libyan embassy attack:

KROFT: Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word terrorism in connection with the Libya Attack, do you believe that this was a terrorist attack?

OBAMA: Well it's too early to tell exactly how this came about, what group was involved, but obviously it was an attack on Americans. And we are going to be working with the Libyan government to make sure that we bring these folks to justice, one way or the other.

Obviously the matter at hand is that CBS News should have released the above footage after the 2nd debate (35 days after the attack) when the whole world was talking about what Obama said, and didn't say, about the Libya attack.

Shame on CBS News.

@ridski take a look at the quote. The audience number was mtierney's words, not mine. I think Firefly is awesome.

The fall guy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/us/maker-of-anti-islam-video-gets-prison-term.html?ref=todayspaper

Where does it say his video was the cause for the Benghazi murders?

Where does it say anywhere it was the cause?

Other than in wingnuts' imaginations.

mtierney said:

The fall guy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/us/maker-of-anti-islam-video-gets-prison-term.html?ref=todayspaper

Where does it say his video was the cause for the Benghazi murders?

wtf are you talking about? The guy was sentenced for parole violations.

But don't you see? That shows just how deep the conspiracy really is. Even the federal judge that ruled on the parole violation was in on it.

And so are we, I suppose.

Wait. If the judge was in on it, he should have said that the video WAS responsible, right?

These conspiracy stories are so confusing.

Matthew said:

Tom said:

Matthew said:

Just [1 day] before election day CBS News decided to release additional footage from their September 12 2012 interview with President Obama. The interview occurred just hours after Obama gave his Rose Garden speech on the Libyan embassy attack:

Obviously the matter at hand is that CBS News should have released the above footage after the 2nd debate (35 days after the attack) when the whole world was talking about what Obama said, and didn't say, about the Libya attack.

Shame on CBS News.

I'm confused. are you saying that Obama should have said, the day after the attack, that it was clearly a terrorist attack? or do you think the CBS interview vindicated him?

The interview should have been released right after it took place. why should they have waited five weeks, as you say, to release it?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.