Twitter is a Private Company

paulsurovell said:

By the way, the Biden admin recently expressed appreciation for Elon's high-tech expertise:

https://fortune.com/2023/01/27/elon-musk-biden-washington-trip-tesla/

Elon Musk sets aside his strained relationship with Joe Biden to meet with top White House aides

BY Darlene Superville and The Associated PressJanuary 27, 2023 at 8:35 PM EST

Tesla CEO Elon Musk and a pair of top aides to President Joe Biden met in Washington on Friday to discuss the electric vehicle industry and the broader goal of electrification.

Musk and Biden did not meet, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said.

The two haven’t had the smoothest of relationships, with Biden, a big supporter of labor unions, disappointed by Musk’s refusal to allow them into his factories.

White House aides Mitch Landrieu and John Podesta sat down with the Tesla chief — who also owns Twitter and SpaceX — at Tesla’s office in downtown Washington to discuss shared goals around electrification.

Their discussion touched on how infrastructure and climate legislation that Biden signed into law last year can help boost the production of electric vehicles and charging stations, and encourage more people to switch from gas-fueled to electric-powered vehicles and to choose more electric appliances, like heat pumps and stoves. Rebates and tax credits are available to encourage that shift.

Landrieu oversees federal spending on infrastructure, which included financial help for the electric vehicle industry. Podesta is the president’s point man on spending on Biden’s climate and clean energy initiatives.

Asked whether the meeting signaled a new phase in White House relations with Musk, Jean-Pierre said it “says a lot” about how Biden sees the importance of both pieces of legislation.

“I think it’s important that his team, senior members of his team, had a meeting with Elon Musk,” she said.

Again, it would be a time saver if you just stuck with what the articles actually are about, instead of inventing what they say.  The article isn't about "technical expertise".

ridski said:

I haven't opened those threads in months, so I have no idea.

Neither have I but I just learned a new word "eristic".

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

By the way, the Biden admin recently expressed appreciation for Elon's high-tech expertise:

https://fortune.com/2023/01/27/elon-musk-biden-washington-trip-tesla/

Elon Musk sets aside his strained relationship with Joe Biden to meet with top White House aides

BY Darlene Superville and The Associated PressJanuary 27, 2023 at 8:35 PM EST

Tesla CEO Elon Musk and a pair of top aides to President Joe Biden met in Washington on Friday to discuss the electric vehicle industry and the broader goal of electrification.

Musk and Biden did not meet, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said.

The two haven’t had the smoothest of relationships, with Biden, a big supporter of labor unions, disappointed by Musk’s refusal to allow them into his factories.

White House aides Mitch Landrieu and John Podesta sat down with the Tesla chief — who also owns Twitter and SpaceX — at Tesla’s office in downtown Washington to discuss shared goals around electrification.

Their discussion touched on how infrastructure and climate legislation that Biden signed into law last year can help boost the production of electric vehicles and charging stations, and encourage more people to switch from gas-fueled to electric-powered vehicles and to choose more electric appliances, like heat pumps and stoves. Rebates and tax credits are available to encourage that shift.

Landrieu oversees federal spending on infrastructure, which included financial help for the electric vehicle industry. Podesta is the president’s point man on spending on Biden’s climate and clean energy initiatives.

Asked whether the meeting signaled a new phase in White House relations with Musk, Jean-Pierre said it “says a lot” about how Biden sees the importance of both pieces of legislation.

“I think it’s important that his team, senior members of his team, had a meeting with Elon Musk,” she said.

Again, it would be a time saver if you just stuck with what the articles actually are about, instead of inventing what they say.  The article isn't about "technical expertise".

Podesta and Landrieu talked with Musk about how to electrify the economy. That's a technical subject that involves EVs (cars, trucks, buses and semis), charging stations, solar power (residential and industrial), battery back-up systems (residential and industrial), heat pump technology and virtual power plants all of which Musk is involved in as an engineer and a business man. With proven results. That's why the Biden admin overcame its political hostility and cancel culture to sit down with him.

paulsurovell said:

Podesta and Landrieu talked with Musk about how to electrify the economy. That's a technical subject that involves EVs (cars, trucks, buses and semis), charging stations, solar power (residential and industrial), battery back-up systems (residential and industrial), heat pump technology and virtual power plants all of which Musk is involved in as an engineer and a business man. With proven results. That's why the Biden admin overcame its political hostility and cancel culture to sit down with him.

Actually, it's policy, not technical.

paulsurovell said:

That's why the Biden admin overcame its political hostility and cancel culture to sit down with him.

wow. you really, really believe cancel culture is a thing, don't you?

you just eat up those right wing tropes like they're manna from heaven.

Still struggling to understand what any of this has to do with twitter. We can just pin this run of posts to this thread as the standing reply to any post by Paul I guess:

ridski said:

I think I may have lost the crux of paulsurovell's argument.

drummerboy said:

The crux of all of his arguments in this thread is that Musk is a great,great man and we should shut up.

ml1 said:

or possibly that Musk is a great, great man who may occasionally do some crappy things, but other people do crappy things too, and we should shut up.

Ah, Twitter. A great place to type ones thoughts before critically thinking. (click to see the full picture, and then the comments of the Tweet. ETA: Some NSFW).

Re-ETA: It looks like the tweet was deleted. For reference, it was an image of this series of texts:

1. Girlfriend sends boyfriend image of a positive COVID test 
  2. Boyfriend responds "Why are you sending me this?"
  3. Girlfriend says "Because I was with you last night"
  4. Boyfriend says "I had a vasectomy, it's not mine"

The comments were predictably bashing the boyfriend for ditching his responsibilities; bashing the boyfriend (and girlfriend) for not realizing that positive pregnancy tests are not achievable overnight so it wouldn't be his; bashing the girlfriend for being promiscuous, and for some who realized it was a COVID test, providing COVID misinformation and amazingly, some even intermingling COVID misinformation with pregnancy/vasectomy misinformation (like that he couldn't have gotten her pregnant because COVID immunizations make people sterile, so it was a fake test she was sending him to trap him). 

While there were plenty of comments trying to bring the mistaken posters' attention to the fact that it was an image of a COVID test (which it said right on the stick), it didn't matter. People were happily rage-posting their obviously oblivious points of view to the world.

PVW said:

Still struggling to understand what any of this has to do with twitter. We can just pin this run of posts to this thread as the standing reply to any post by Paul I guess:

ridski said:

I think I may have lost the crux of paulsurovell's argument.

drummerboy said:

The crux of all of his arguments in this thread is that Musk is a great,great man and we should shut up.

ml1 said:

or possibly that Musk is a great, great man who may occasionally do some crappy things, but other people do crappy things too, and we should shut up.

I'm struggling to understand why someone would struggle to understand why a thread about Twitter would have posts about Elon Musk. Especially when they contributed a few of those Elon posts themselves.

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

Their discussion touched on how infrastructure and climate legislation that Biden signed into law last year can help boost the production of electric vehicles and charging stations, and encourage more people to switch from gas-fueled to electric-powered vehicles and to choose more electric appliances, like heat pumps and stoves. Rebates and tax credits are available to encourage that shift. ...

The technical details weren't part of the discussion, the financial and policy ones were. You doubled down on inventing what the article said happened.

And don't be "that guy" who blames "cancel culture", because it makes you seem not serious.

paulsurovell said:

I'm struggling to understand why someone would struggle to understand why a thread about Twitter would have posts about Elon Musk.

Also previously covered!

nohero said:

Whatever Tesla's contribution to the fight against climate change is, it's irrelevant to the discussion of Musk's management of the Twitter.

nohero said:

The technical details weren't part of the discussion, the financial and policy ones were. You doubled down on inventing what the article said happened.

And don't be "that guy" who blames "cancel culture", because it makes you seem not serious.

it's my personal bias of course. But if I read the term "cancel culture" and it's written non-ironically I consider the writer to be a troll, deluded, or an idiot. In this case, I lean toward trolling.

nohero said:

Okay, so Elon tweeted a follow up after my post. What does that mean?

paulsurovell said:

PVW said:

paulsurovell said:

I'm struggling to understand why someone would struggle to understand why a thread about Twitter would have posts about Elon Musk.

Also previously covered!

nohero said:

Whatever Tesla's contribution to the fight against climate change is, it's irrelevant to the discussion of Musk's management of the Twitter.

I seem to recall several posts by @nohero on topics other than Musk's management of Twitter.

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

Their discussion touched on how infrastructure and climate legislation that Biden signed into law last year can help boost the production of electric vehicles and charging stations, and encourage more people to switch from gas-fueled to electric-powered vehicles and to choose more electric appliances, like heat pumps and stoves. Rebates and tax credits are available to encourage that shift. ...

It's a policy discussion about a technical issue. So if you don't understand the technical aspect you risk making bad policy.

And my favorite posts are when you tell me not to do things. Like a child.

ml1 said:

nohero said:

it's my personal bias of course. But if I read the term "cancel culture" and it's written non-ironically I consider the writer to be a troll, deluded, or an idiot. In this case, I lean toward trolling.

Be careful you don't fall over.

nohero said:

Okay, so Elon tweeted a follow up after my post. What does that mean?

paulsurovell said:

That he's reading this thread?

paulsurovell said:

My comment was actually a compliment to you. 

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

It's a policy discussion about a technical issue. So if you don't understand the technical aspect you risk making bad policy.

The description in your article shows that’s not the case, they didn’t need to discuss how the technology worked.

I could have used more adult language to describe your use of the nonsense about “cancel culture”, maybe next time. 

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

My comment was actually a compliment to you. 

And mine to yours.

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

The description in your article shows that’s not the case, they didn’t need to discuss how the technology worked.

I could have used more adult language to describe your use of the nonsense about “cancel culture”, maybe next time. 

The article is very terse, so one needs to use a little common sense. Musk has a deep grasp of and experience with the technical issues that underlie the goal of electrification of the economy (the subject of the talks) -- from power generation to equipment and products -- so that likely came into play during the talks.

Edited to add: And I'm fascinated with this new theory that cancel culture doesn't exist.

paulsurovell said:

The article is very terse, so one needs to use a little common sense. Musk has a deep grasp of and experience with the technical issues that underlie the goal of electrification of the economy (the subject of the talks) -- from power generation to equipment and products -- so that likely came into play during the talks.

Using common sense - no, not likely at all. 

Scott Ritter is having problems with the Twitter.
He’s being impersonated by someone who writes things that are more offensive than what he posts.
Elon’s people aren’t helping.

paulsurovell said:

Edited to add: And I'm fascinated with this new theory that cancel culture doesn't exist.

it's not new, and of course you are.

paulsurovell said:

the "cancel culture" you're imagining doesn't exist.

The cancel culture that ended Colin Kaepernick's career, stalled The Chicks' career, and has people freaked out over the 1619 Project -- yeah, that cancel culture exists. 

Anybody else remember when Phil Donahue was cancelled?

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

the "cancel culture" you're imagining doesn't exist.

The cancel culture that ended Colin Kaepernick's career, stalled The Chicks' career, and has people freaked out over the 1619 Project -- yeah, that cancel culture exists. 

You're half right.

paulsurovell said:

You're half right.

you’re just being eristic… again 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!