Trump Wants Sanders Voters - (Edited to Add) Or Wants Them To Not Vote Democratic In November

From 538 (Silver's site, though this is one of Silvers colleagues I'm quoting):

Following up on Nate, this wouldn’t be a shocking polling error in Indiana. Right now, Sanders is holding a 4 percentage point lead in Indiana. Yes, none of the pre-election polls had Sanders winning. And yes, the average of polls taken over the past three weeks had Clinton up by a little over 7 percentage points in Indiana. But before the Wisconsin primary, I calculated that a poll before a caucus or primary had an average error of 11 percentage points. In other words, right in line with the error there appears to be in Indiana right now.

You can see 538's pre-primary forecast here.

Note the little bell-curved graphs - I think they're the easiest ones to read to see how close the polls actually were.

Tom_Reingold said:

The NY Times has influence on journalists at other media.

People study and report on the topic of media coverage & influence on the race a lot, so you can actually refer to data to get a good sense of a) how much media coverage (positive and negative) each candidate gets and b) how much influence is may or may not have (this, of course, is hard to measure directly).  

How much influence does the media really have over elections? Digging into the data

http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/01/how-much-influence-does-the-media-really-have-over-elections-digging-into-the-data/

The 2016 Candidates Who Are Making Headlines
Our interactive graphic offers a real-time snapshot of the race, using media attention to track the fortunes of the presidential hopefuls.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/08/graphic-whos-the-most-popular-candidate-mentioned-on-television/402451/

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/15/11410160/hillary-clinton-media-bernie-sanders

Is the media biased against Bernie Sanders?

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/7/11378858/sanders-media-bias

martini...woman from Greenberg, Quinlan, Rosner on WNYC said that Hilary's team determined that Indiana, red state that it is, wasn't worth the time. They expressed that she is moving "relentlessly ahead". So maybe a bunch of polls determined she was going to win, but my impression had been that it was going to be close. Even Bernie doesn't spend a lot of time in states that he calculates the demographics and number of delegates are not going to help.

Fact remains she didn't need to win it, only had to keep it close, and Bernie needed a landslide.  And she knew it.

Here are at least some of the media supporting Clinton.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/05/clinton-foundation-donors-include-dozens-of-media-organizations-individuals-207228

Carlos Slim
Chairman & CEO of Telmex, largest New York Times shareholder
James Murdoch, Chief Operating Officer of 21st Century Fox
Newsmax Media
Florida-based conservative media network
Thomson Reuters, Owner of the Reuters news service
Google
News Corporation Foundation
Philanthropic arm of former Fox News parent company
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Publisher
Richard Mellon Scaife, Owner of Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [and Koch Bro associate -- my notes]
Abigail Disney, Documentary filmmaker
Bloomberg Philanthropies
Howard Stringer, Former CBS, CBS News and Sony executive 
Intermountain West Communications Company 
Local television affiliate owner (formerly Sunbelt Communications)
Bloomberg L.P.
Discovery Communications Inc.
George Stephanopoulos, ABC News chief anchor and chief political correspondent
Mort Zuckerman, Owner of New York Daily News and U.S. News & World Report
Time Warner Inc.
Owner of CNN parent company Turner Broadcasting
AOL
HBO
Hollywood Foreign Press Association
Presenters of the Golden Globe Awards
Viacom
Knight Foundation
Non-profit foundation dedicated to supporting journalism
Public Radio International
Turner Broadcasting
Parent company of CNN
Twitter
Comcast
Parent copmany of NBCUniversal
NBC Universal
Parent company of NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC
Public Broadcasting Service
Robert Allbritton
Owner of POLITICO
AOL Huffington Post Media Group
Hearst Corporation
Judy Woodruff, PBS Newshour co-anchor and managing editor
The Washington Post Company

It's enough to make me discontinue making contributions to PBS.

Interesting take on why voters like Bernie:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sanders-is-a-much-better-leader-than-trump-or-clinton-voters-say-2016-05-04

I highly doubt that Richard Mellon Scaife would be caught alive supporting Hillary Clinton, but it's even more unlikely now he's been dead for 2 years. Newsmax, actually being alive, would probably not be running this as a cover story if they were in the bag for Clinton, either.

It's probably his foundation that made the donation and they probably share his views.  The Koch Brothers recently said they thought Hillary might be OK so who knows.

nan said:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/05/clinton-foundation-donors-include-dozens-of-media-organizations-individuals-207228

Carlos Slim
Newsmax Media
Google
Richard Mellon Scaife, Owner of Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [and Koch Bro associate -- my notes]
Bloomberg Philanthropies
Bloomberg L.P.
Time Warner Inc.
AOL
HBO
Viacom
Knight Foundation
Turner Broadcasting
Parent company of CNN
Twitter
Comcast
NBC Universal
Robert Allbritton
Owner of POLITICO
Hearst Corporation

The list appeared on politico.com and it includes,  ta-dah  -

Robert Allbritton, owner of POLITICO!

nan said:

It's probably his foundation that made the donation and they probably share his views.  The Koch Brothers recently said they thought Hillary might be OK so who knows.

I can't remember which Koch that it was (not both) but he did say that she would have to change a lot of her positions for him to support her.  The comment was more a condemnation of the republican situation.  

While I would much rather see Sanders as the nominee, I find your positions and opinions to be offensive and completely out of touch with reality.

That's a misleading statement.  In the article it mentions Judy Woodruff giving $250 to the Haiti Relief fund.  Does that mean she's in the bag for Clinton?  If someone bought a table at a fundraiser for AIDS relief in Africa does that make them a Hillary supporter?  I can't make that mental leap.

nan said:

Carlos Slim
Newsmax Media
Google
Bloomberg Philanthropies
Bloomberg L.P.
Time Warner Inc.
AOL
HBO
Viacom
Knight Foundation
Turner Broadcasting
Parent company of CNN
Twitter
Comcast
NBC Universal
Robert Allbritton
Owner of POLITICO
Hearst Corporation

mjh said:

Is the media biased against Bernie Sanders?

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/7/11378858/sanders-media-bias

Good read. Thanks for posting.

What is the connection between the Clinton Foundation and Hillary's campaign? The article says this list is of contributors to the foundation.

jeffhandy said:
nan said:

I can't remember which Koch that it was (not both) but he did say that she would have to change a lot of her positions for him to support her.  The comment was more a condemnation of the republican situation.  

While I would much rather see Sanders as the nominee, I find your positions and opinions to be offensive and completely out of touch with reality.

What's with the personal attacks with no example where I can defend myself?  Totally unfair.  I think you owe me an apology.    

Tom_Reingold said:

And some people in and around New York.  

mjh said:
Tom_Reingold said:

People study and report on the topic of media coverage & influence on the race a lot, so you can actually refer to data to get a good sense of a) how much media coverage (positive and negative) each candidate gets and b) how much influence is may or may not have (this, of course, is hard to measure directly).  

How much influence does the media really have over elections? Digging into the data

http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/01/how-much-influence-does-the-media-really-have-over-elections-digging-into-the-data/

The 2016 Candidates Who Are Making Headlines
Our interactive graphic offers a real-time snapshot of the race, using media attention to track the fortunes of the presidential hopefuls.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/08/graphic-whos-the-most-popular-candidate-mentioned-on-television/402451/

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/15/11410160/hillary-clinton-media-bernie-sanders

I think that Tom's original point was that the NYT was limited in its influence, which I agree.  

Anyone who was ever lived outside of the NYC area realizes the national unimportance of the NYT.   

gerryl said:

What is the connection between the Clinton Foundation and Hillary's campaign? The article says this list is of contributors to the foundation.

Vince Foster

nan said:

jeffhandy said:

What's with the personal attacks with no example where I can defend myself?  Totally unfair.  I think you owe me an apology.    

First of all, this was a comment on positions and opinions which are casting most Sanders supporters in an unfavorable light, it is not a personal attack.  I think that you need to get a better understanding of the difference.  If I had said that you were stupid, fat, ugly, racist, or sexist, these would be personal attacks.  

My issue is that you consistently post misleading information and distortions about our candidates opponent and that is not in line with the values that Bernie is trying to promote.  For those posts, it is you who owes the rest of us an apology.  Many of us would rather have Sanders as the nominee but we are also attached to reality and understand that unlike a spoiled child, we can't always get what we want.  So we will make the best of the situation and work with the viable option that gets us to the results that take us to the closest possible position that Sanders was trying to achieve.  If that means only that the Supreme Court gets turned, that is still better than a Trump presidency.  A protest vote is not a sign of political integrity, it is a sign of selfishness.

Every time a Sanders supporter argues that he should be nominated because "Hillary bad", Donald Trump smiles.

nohero said:

Every time a Sanders supporter argues that he should be nominated because "Hillary bad", Donald Trump smiles.

And so does Scalia from his grave:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/us/politics/donald-trump-president.html

Shortly after the Nov. 8 election, President-elect Trump and his vice president — most likely a governor or member of Congress — would begin interviewing candidates for the open Supreme Court seat and quickly settle on a nominee in the mold of Justice Antonin Scalia.

If there were to be three openings over the next five years, we could end up with three new Scalia's. Won't that be pleasant.

BG9 said:

nohero said:

And so does Scalia from his grave:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/us/politics/donald-trump-president.html

Shortly after the Nov. 8 election, President-elect Trump and his vice president — most likely a governor or member of Congress — would begin interviewing candidates for the open Supreme Court seat and quickly settle on a nominee in the mold of Justice Antonin Scalia.

If there were to be three openings over the next five years, we could end up with three new Scalia's. Won't that be pleasant.

Actually, Trump is as likely to nominate Dennis Rodman, Gene Simmons and Gilbert Gottfried into those 3 spots.  

Justice Got Freed has a nice ring to it.

better than Got Fried

The Bernie Quit movement has lost an important supporter.

"I'm not calling myself that (the presumptive nominee)," Clinton said. "I know there are some contests ahead and I respect Sen. Sanders and whatever choices he's making. And I have a lot of empathy about this, Anderson. You know, I ran to the very end in 2008."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-exit-race/

paulsurovell said:

The Bernie Quit movement has lost an important supporter.

"I'm not calling myself that (the presumptive nominee)," Clinton said. "I know there are some contests ahead and I respect Sen. Sanders and whatever choices he's making. And I have a lot of empathy about this, Anderson. You know, I ran to the very end in 2008."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-exit-race/

I'm not a member of the "Bernie Quit movement" because a) I don't think he should quit, and b) there is no such movement.  

There are, of course, some people expressing this opinion.   You'll need to learn to live with it because this stuff happens in heated political campaigns.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.