Trump's response to the Covid-19

mrincredible said:

You haven't been closely following her the last few years?

I think if there are celebrities who are conservative the moderate ones keep their heads down and don't really talk about it much.  You hear about the far-right ones like Victoria Jackson, Randy Quaid, Scott Baio and Kirk Cameron.

I wander in to Twitter from time to time (I deleted my account a few years back but I still check out the site).  Lots of celebs' feeds are completely apolitical.  It makes sense, in that their business depends on broad appeal. Sometimes a comment slips through that gives a hint as to where their beliefs lie.

I have not. And I have no use for Twitter. Honestly have no understanding of the appeal.

I am aware of a few of the celebrity Trumpists - Baio, Voight, Quaid, Kirstey Alley.  Had not heard about Victoria Jackson.

Data wonks on Twitter saved my sanity Election Week when I thought Trump had an insurmountable lead. 

another useful decision by the death cult

drummerboy said:

Oy with the paywall articles.  Not even her name?

Her name is Dr Jane Orient.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/jane-orient-anti-vaxxer-covid-senate-b1767579.html

She's part of an association of physicians called the AAPS. Here is an introductory paragraph from the Wikipedia article about them:

The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) is a conservative non-profit association founded in 1944. The group was reported to have about 5,000 members in 2014. The association has promoted a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism. It is opposed to the Affordable Care Act and other forms of universal health insurance.

mrincredible said:

Her name is Dr Jane Orient.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/jane-orient-anti-vaxxer-covid-senate-b1767579.html

She's part of an association of physicians called the AAPS. Here is an introductory paragraph from the Wikipedia article about them:

The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) is a conservative non-profit association founded in 1944. The group was reported to have about 5,000 members in 2014. The association has promoted a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism. It is opposed to the Affordable Care Act and other forms of universal health insurance.

She must be a Catholic

mrincredible said:

drummerboy said:

Oy with the paywall articles.  Not even her name?

you can't see the quoted tweet?

oh look, Trump f***ed up. Who woulda thunk?

Before Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine was proved highly successful in clinical trials last month, the company offered the Trump administration the chance to lock in supplies beyond the 100 million doses the pharmaceutical maker agreed to sell the government as part of a $1.95 billion deal months ago.

But the administration, according to people familiar with the talks, never made the deal, a choice that now raises questions about whether the United States allowed other countries to take its place in line.

As the administration scrambles to try to purchase more doses of the vaccine, President Trump plans on Tuesday to issue an executive order that proclaims that other nations will not get the U.S. supplies of its vaccine until Americans have been inoculated.

But the order appears to have no real teeth and does not expand the U.S. supply of doses, according to a description of the order on Monday by senior administration officials.

basil said:

mrincredible said:

She must be a Catholic

The opposition to abortion (although not because of the unscientific argument) could possibly lead to that conclusion, but nothing else there does.

drummerboy said:

I can see it but the tweet doesn't mention her name. It just has a link to a NYT article.

mrincredible said:

drummerboy said:

I can see it but the tweet doesn't mention her name. It just has a link to a NYT article.

hmmm. curious. The original tweet does state her name.

doesn't it look like below?

I've noticed that embedded tweets on desktop have images, but when browsing on mobile they don't. Maybe that's the difference?

could be. I rarely use mobile.

ridski said:

Meanwhile, life on the other side of the world...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/countries-without-coronavirus-no-covid

I have a friend in Perth. Did a zoom with him last week and he told me life there is normal. They had a very, very strictly enforced lockdown last spring that beat the virus. And now everyone entering their state is required to quarantine. Americans (and most Europeans for that matter) would never have agreed to that. 

Yep, that’s what’s happening here, on this side of Australia too. I was one of very few people having to wear a mask inside the hospital, when outside my room. And whenever I’m outside my house, I’m one of few people bothering to mask up or ensure wider social distance these days. Of course, I know I have very low antibodies to anything at all right now; no-one else does. But you should see some of the reactions I’m getting  oh oh Wait ‘til I’m wearing my clown wig in a week or two... (yep, hair loss is majorly underway)  

Thunderstorm asthma in a mask is not fun. 

Family and friends in Melbourne tell me, OTOH, if you try to enter a shop unmasked you’ll be treated as a criminal and either refused entry/barred or shamed on social media. Masks are required indoors, not as much outdoors. ‘Better suburbs have distanced people walking around outside wearing masks. Elsewhere, people manage as they can and try to stay out of the way.’

well then, fire them

drummerboy said:

well then, fire them

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, why should we care about the patients who will suffer further, as the already overwhelmed staff is further reduced by these refuseniks?

drummerboy said:

well then, fire them

About those political reasons. From the NPR story:

"My discussions with them make me think the fact that Trump is in charge of accelerating the process bothers them," he said. "They all think it's meant to harm specific sectors of the population."

(“They all,” apparently, are fewer than half a dozen nurses. It’s a relatively small hospital.)

Not to be funny, but a lot of what I’ve read on black Twitter likens the vaccine to the Tuskegee syphilis experiment.

ridski said:

Not to be funny, but a lot of what I’ve read on black Twitter likens the vaccine to the Tuskegee syphilis experiment.

That's no joke. That experiment among others has sown a deep streak of distrust of medical research in the African-American community.

This pandemic got politicized very quickly, largely by Trump and his sicko-phants. His constant mockery of mask-wearing is one example, as well as calling it "kung flu" and "the China virus" and downplaying the seriousness of the disease. If he had stood back and let the scientists take the lead, and followed their recommendations and enlisted bipartisan support to create a united front, the pandemic would have gone very differently. (And he probably would have won reelection).

Instead mask-wearing, social distancing and restaurant closings became about "freedom". And the incredible efforts to create vaccines became about Trump. And we have situations like the Mayor of Dodge City, Kansas resigning because her life was threatened after she tried to enforce a mask mandate.

https://www.dodgeglobe.com/story/news/local/2020/12/15/dodge-city-mayor-joyce-warshaw-resigns-effective-immediately/3913222001/

That crap is on Trump.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

well then, fire them

About those political reasons. From the NPR story:

"My discussions with them make me think the fact that Trump is in charge of accelerating the process bothers them," he said. "They all think it's meant to harm specific sectors of the population."

(“They all,” apparently, are fewer than half a dozen nurses. It’s a relatively small hospital.)

Not a small hospital - about 900 employees. But, he was just referring to his immediate staff at the ICU.

mrincredible said:

Instead mask-wearing, social distancing and restaurant closings became about "freedom". And the incredible efforts to create vaccines became about Trump. And we have situations like the Mayor of Dodge City, Kansas resigning because her life was threatened after she tried to enforce a mask mandate.

https://www.dodgeglobe.com/story/news/local/2020/12/15/dodge-city-mayor-joyce-warshaw-resigns-effective-immediately/3913222001/

That crap is on Trump.

Wyatt Earp is turning in his grave.

"Whoa—Pfizer says Trump admin has stopped giving destinations for “millions more doses sitting in our warehouses”. Trump HHS is allowing #COVID19 vaccines to *just sit there* unused. Is this—

1) Incompetence/negligence?

2) Throttling for 2nd dose?

3) Hoarding for other reason?"

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1339873603672805383

(NYSE: PFE) today released the following statement to address public comments that allege there are issues in the production and distribution of the company's COVID-19 vaccine: “Pfizer is not having any production issues with our COVID-19 vaccine, and no shipments containing the vaccine are on hold or delayed.10 hours ago

Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine Production and Distribution Working ...

pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazonaws.com › COVID 19 ...

cramer said:

"Whoa—Pfizer says Trump admin has stopped giving destinations for “millions more doses sitting in our warehouses”. Trump HHS is allowing #COVID19 vaccines to *just sit there* unused. Is this—

1) Incompetence/negligence?

2) Throttling for 2nd dose?

3) Hoarding for other reason?"

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1339873603672805383

not only that, but a number of states are reporting that next week's expected deliveries of vaccine are to be cut by about 30%.

WTF?

here's a sobering thread about the hell awaiting us. Slavitt is a former Obama official in charge of healthcare.

drummerboy said:

here's a sobering thread about the hell awaiting us. Slavitt is a former Obama official in charge of healthcare.

"Slavitt was an early public critic of President Donald J. Trump’s preparedness for a major novel coronavirus outbreak. On February 25, 2020, when COVID-19 infections began to appear across the United States, Slavitt appeared as a guest on Hardball with Chris Matthews to question Trump administration claims that the Centers for Disease Control had adequately contained domestic spread of the virus.[25] Slavitt praised CDC officials who contradicted official accounts of the federal government's early handling of COVID-19:

The truth is finally starting to come out today when the CDC officials are bravely speaking up. And we've got a competency and a credibility problem, which is going to make it very difficult to manage through this. And I think if people wonder, "is there a cost—is there a credibility cost to a president who doesn't always tell the truth?", it really comes into play now.

Two weeks later, on March 7, Slavitt published an open letter to American governors on Medium detailing a potential shortage of hospital beds and ventilators due to COVID-19's rapid spread.[26]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Slavitt

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.