The Turf War Returns

jamie said:

This pic isn't as dark as the other.  I would love to work on a solution to fixing this.  I would like to know what field system we have to compare with.  What Jersey town has had success in maintaining their Grass fields and what is their yearly usage?

There can only be one solution.  We must immediately fire the domestic labor force who maintain the field and replace it with foreign labor.  You see the domestic labor force has lost the ability to grow and maintain grass since it has been outsourcing all residential and commercial landscaping maintenance to foreign labor for years now, so now we are going to have to hire a company of foreign laborers to maintain the field.  This, of course, will have to be done as soon as the underground, irrigation issues are resolved.  You cannot fix the field if you have pipes leaking underground and the water oversaturates the field.  A 4 year old could tell you that.

This is like that movie "Idiocracy" where the world believes "Brawndo helps the grass grow because it contains electrolytes".  People have literally become so stupid they no longer know how to maintain a grass field.  We should have listened to that guy who suggested renting the two sheep in prior posts.

LaSalePute said:

jamie said:

This pic isn't as dark as the other.  I would love to work on a solution to fixing this.  I would like to know what field system we have to compare with.  What Jersey town has had success in maintaining their Grass fields and what is their yearly usage?

There can only be one solution.  We must immediately fire the domestic labor force who maintain the field and replace it with foreign labor.  You see the domestic labor force has lost the ability to grow and maintain grass since it has been outsourcing all residential and commercial landscaping maintenance to foreign labor for years now, so now we are going to have to hire a company of foreign laborers to maintain the field.  This, of course, will have to be done as soon as the underground, irrigation issues are resolved.  You cannot fix the field if you have pipes leaking underground and the water oversaturates the field.  A 4 year old could tell you that.

This is like that movie "Idiocracy" where the world believes "Brawndo helps the grass grow because it contains electrolytes".  People have literally become so stupid they no longer know how to maintain a grass field.  We should have listened to that guy who suggested renting the two sheep in prior posts.

or the guy who suggested unicorns

LaSalePute said:

There can only be one solution.  

And that is to delete your account.

PeterWick said:

LaSalePute said:

There can only be one solution.  

And that is to delete your account.

Has ConcernedHighTaxPayer resurfaced as LaSalePute?

yahooyahoo said:

Has ConcernedHighTaxPayer resurfaced as LaSalePute?

No no, he's asking about the sheep for a friend

LaSalePute said:

We should have listened to that guy who suggested renting the two sheep in prior posts.

I'm not quick to shout troll but this guy is such a shameless BS artist that he should be ignored going forward.  I mean, his as* backward comment about flu deaths vs. Covid deaths.  Sheesh.   

bub said:

I'm not quick to shout troll but this guy is such a shameless BS artist that he should be ignored going forward.  I mean, his as* backward comment about flu deaths vs. Covid deaths.  Sheesh.   

A few years ago he would have been banned…. He provides some entertainment.

LOL, why don't all you smart guys go look up how to maintain a grass field on Youtube?  You are so useless, it's sad.  Maplewood can't maintain a grass field! LOL

Straw, perhaps you could post a schedule for which account you'll be using.

LaSalePute is NOT Straw - redfruit is.  LaSale is on a break.  grin

jamie said:

LaSalePute is NOT Straw - redfruit is.  LaSale is on a break. 
grin

He might very well come back as “Innuendo” …he’s really an Italian suppository.

I saw Lincoln Landscaping possibly putting down some fertilizer today.  When will the field be playable next?

I see that they work with organic turf.  https://lincolnlandscapinginc.com/

Do we have an overview of their current turf strategy?

sprout said:

The 4-5 months of field closures begin next week. From Rec Dept: 

"All Maplewood fields will be officially closed on Monday, November 15.

Topdressing treatments will begin this week, but fields will be playable. Turf blanket placement will follow the closure date."

@jamie, the fields are usually closed until sometime in April (weather dependent).  Not sure what "topdressing treatments" are, but I'm guessing that's what you saw.

Semi-related:   The TC has initially approved a “spray park” in Maplecrest, at the site of the existing tennis courts.  The plan would be for it to take up two courts and the third court would ultimately be a tennis or pickle ball court.  

jeffl said:

Semi-related:   The TC has initially approved a “spray park” in Maplecrest, at the site of the existing tennis courts.  The plan would be for it to take up two courts and the third court would ultimately be a tennis or pickle ball court.  

Very cool! Hopefully it happens. Maplewood is way behind the curve in terms of recreation 

jamie said:

I saw Lincoln Landscaping possibly putting down some fertilizer today.  When will the field be playable next?

I see that they work with organic turf.  https://lincolnlandscapinginc.com/

Do we have an overview of their current turf strategy?

We could have the best Turf Strategy ever created by the world's top experts and it won't matter, because the field does not drain properly.  Until the drainage is fixed, all other discussions are secondary.

From The Village Green:

TC member Vic DeLuca, who chairs the Engineering and Public Works Committee, said the committee wished to request funding from the Open Space Trust Fund to enable township Director of Engineering & Public Works Paul Kittner to begin assessments needed to make recommendations for how to move forward with grass.

Gary Nelson, Chair of the Open Space Trust Fund Advisory Committee, asked TC members, “Had nothing along these lines been done in order to make the decision to go to synthetic turf?”

“No,” answered DeLuca.

“Well, that was one of the issues,” said Nelson. “How can you have made that decision without having some kind of assessment?”

Nelson said the committee had been “caught off guard” by the informal request for additional funds for DeHart Park: “We [were] hoping we could have it be more part of the formal review process.”

https://villagegreennj.com/towns/maplewood/maplewood-tc-debates-next-steps-for-dehart-reveals-no-assessment-was-done-before-proposing-turf/

Of course they were caught off guard. I wonder where they were planning on getting the 1.8 million for artificial turf. No plan, just get it passed, then tax the residents. It’s like the time they installed 1 inch thick bricks in the crosswalks on Springfield avenue…. Dig it up again….

*sigh*

Please don't get as dysfunctional as our education administration....

DaveSchmidt said:

From The Village Green:

TC member Vic DeLuca, who chairs the Engineering and Public Works Committee, said the committee wished to request funding from the Open Space Trust Fund to enable township Director of Engineering & Public Works Paul Kittner to begin assessments needed to make recommendations for how to move forward with grass.

Gary Nelson, Chair of the Open Space Trust Fund Advisory Committee, asked TC members, “Had nothing along these lines been done in order to make the decision to go to synthetic turf?”

“No,” answered DeLuca.

“Well, that was one of the issues,” said Nelson. “How can you have made that decision without having some kind of assessment?”

Nelson said the committee had been “caught off guard” by the informal request for additional funds for DeHart Park: “We [were] hoping we could have it be more part of the formal review process.”

https://villagegreennj.com/towns/maplewood/maplewood-tc-debates-next-steps-for-dehart-reveals-no-assessment-was-done-before-proposing-turf/

The TC totally blew it on DeHart Artificial Turf Part Deux.  They tried to ram through the proposal and funding approval before anyone could complain.  That backfired.

Now they look like fools asking for Open Space Trust Fund money. The money was meant for creating new green space, not for maintenance projects in existing parks.

yahooyahoo said:

Now they look like fools asking for Open Space Trust Fund money. The money was meant for creating new green space, not for maintenance projects in existing parks.

Open Space Trust Fund monies have a defined purpose -

The general purpose of the Maplewood Open Space Trust Fund Advisory Committee shall be to recommend to the Maplewood Township Committee the prioritized use of funds from the Open Space Trust Fund for any or all of the following purposes:

(1) Acquisition of lands for recreation and conservation purposes;

(2) Development of lands acquired for recreation and conservation purposes;

(3) Maintenance of lands acquired for recreation and conservation purposes;

(4) Historic preservation of historic properties, structures, facilities, sites, areas, or objects and the acquisition of such properties, structures, facilities, sites, areas, or objects for historic preservation purposes; or

(5) Payment of debt service or indebtedness issued by or incurred by the Township for any of the purposes set forth in Subsections A, B, C, and D of this section.

Township of Maplewood, NJ Open Space Trust Fund Advisory Committee § 47-2 Purpose; recommendations. (ecode360.com) (Emphasis added)

I’d read “lands acquired” to mean maintenance of lands acquired with money from the Open Space Trust Fund, not maintentance of what yahooyahoo referred to as existing parks. But I’m not a lawyer.

DaveSchmidt said:

I’d read “lands acquired” to mean maintenance of lands acquired with money from the Open Space Trust Fund, not maintentance of what yahooyahoo referred to as existing parks. But I’m not a lawyer.

There is a history of open space trust fund money being used primarily for maintenance of existing parks.   

nohero said:

yahooyahoo said:

The general purpose of the Maplewood Open Space Trust Fund Advisory Committee shall be to recommend to the Maplewood Township Committee the prioritized use of funds from the Open Space Trust Fund for any or all of the following purposes:

(4) Historic preservation of historic properties, structures, facilities, sites, areas, or objects and the acquisition of such properties, structures, facilities, sites, areas, or objects for historic preservation purposes; or

(5) Payment of debt service or indebtedness issued by or incurred by the Township for any of the purposes set forth in Subsections A, B, C, and D of this section.

Township of Maplewood, NJ Open Space Trust Fund Advisory Committee § 47-2 Purpose; recommendations. (ecode360.com) (Emphasis added)

Read the ordinance again. 

"Maintenance of lands ACQUIRED for recreation and conservation purposes."  The Town owned DeHart for many decades before the ordinance was written.  It was not acquired, it already existed.

joan_crystal said:

DaveSchmidt said:

There is a history of open space trust fund money being used primarily for maintenance of existing parks.   

Against the original purpose of the Open Space Trust Fund.  There is a history of misusing the funds for maintenance of existing parks.

nohero said:

yahooyahoo said:

Click to Read More

wouldn’t the language of the original referendum be more pertinent? I’ve got to be honest, if I had thought he fund could only be used on acquisitions I’m not sure I would have voted in favor. There aren’t many acquisition opportunities in Maplewood. If that’s all it was used for, I don’t know if they would have spent a dime of it yet. 

yahooyahoo said:

Read the ordinance again. 

"Maintenance of lands ACQUIRED for recreation and conservation purposes."  The Town owned DeHart for many decades before the ordinance was written.  It was not acquired, it already existed.

I did read it. 

ml1 said:

wouldn’t the language of the original referendum be more pertinent? I’ve got to be honest, if I had thought he fund could only be used on acquisitions I’m not sure I would have voted in favor. There aren’t many acquisition opportunities in Maplewood. If that’s all it was used for, I don’t know if they would have spent a dime of it yet. 

Exactly. 

Language does not state when the land was acquired for recreation purposes.  This is why I did not vote in favor of the question when it appeared on the ballot.

If the trust fund was meant for maintenance of existing parks, there shouldn't be a separate trust fund. It should be included in the Town's annual budget.  As it's used now, the trust fund is just a way to funnel more tax dollars to the Recreation Department.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.