The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

QB -2. It would be a real surprise if I found the last two words. I think I've tried every combination of letters possible.  oh oh

Missed "antonymy" and "mononym"

ml1 said:

Missed "antonymy" and "mononym"

Missed antonymy and taxon. Mononym I guessed at.

My miss was antonymy. 

Who knew that antonymy and synonymy were words?

It was mononym.  Probably considered every other combination of mono + 3...

Shockingly, I got QB today after a wild stab at a long word. I was sure it would be wrong, but it was I who was wrong.  question

Yay KarenMarlowe!  I'm 1 short today and probably quitting.

mjc said:

Yay KarenMarlowe!  I'm 1 short today and probably quitting.

Thanks! My last word was "whingeing." I had gotten "whinging," but I figured I'd try it. 

KarenMarlowe said:

Thanks! My last word was "whingeing." I had gotten "whinging," but I figured I'd try it. 

Impressive! I was QB-4 yesterday.

KarenMarlowe, that's the one i missed.  Double whammy of 2 spellings plus somehow with Hints i was looking for a 6-letter word...

QB-4 again, but haven’t really focused. Wasn’t getting QB regardless.

Interesting that chiminea doesn’t count, as it is a pangram. 

Also 4 short, and stumped.

jimmurphy said:

QB-4 again, but haven’t really focused. Wasn’t getting QB regardless.

Interesting that chiminea doesn’t count, as it is a pangram. 

How it works with me: I am not even at genius (and upset that chiminea doesn't work). QB -16 today. LOL! Just not seeing the words.

Just got the QB. Last word popped into my head, as did another a few hours ago. Both compound words, which I often have trouble seeing.

Yay Jim!  Still one short here (and it's a short word, too).

Got the QB today. Couple of obscure words but they've appeared recently in other puzzles so they were top of mind for me. 

One short again today - will it be one of ml1's obscure words, or another facepalm?? (yesterday's was "celeb")

Wow! Jim is back and I am in a rut. Congrats! grin

Got QB yesterday. 

-4 so far today. Need to go back at some point.

Needed the Buddy and Google to get the last word for QB today. It's been in the puzzle before but to me it's an incredibly obscure word. Given the real words they often don't include it peeves me a bit that this one is included. 

ml1 said:

Needed the Buddy and Google to get the last word for QB today. It's been in the puzzle before but to me it's an incredibly obscure word. Given the real words they often don't include it peeves me a bit that this one is included. 

Missed hence (and easy one) and nankeen. Oh well... back to the spelling board.

KarenMarlowe said:

Missed hence (and easy one) and nankeen. Oh well... back to the spelling board.

Hence was the last word I found. 

Only miss was nankeen. Again.

Hence (why?) and nankeen were also the the last words i got yesterday.  (Nankeen only thanks to Patrick O'Brian, and maybe seeing it on Spelling Bee before?)

Definitely agree that there are other words that could have been included on their list before nankeen.

Yup. My last word was nankeen. 

And just got QB today.  grin

Congrats again jim!

Also missed geoid.  Still 4 short today, but the day is young(ish)

mjc said:

Congrats again jim!

Also missed geoid.  Still 4 short today, but the day is young(ish)

same here...congrats to Jim and, like you, still 4 short today but the day is no longer so young  cheese

Got the QB today. A couple of weird words that I guessed at. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.