The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

QB
question

And, I was right. The dumb (non)words I had already found.

Well done! 

Thank you!

QB  question

The pangram is a little weird but I got it early. Pretty straightforward. No dunno, or rando, or journo...

3rd QB in a row today! Pangram was last word and a doozy.

jimmurphy said:

Congratulations! Far from QB but when you said the pangram was a doozy, I went back and looked for the most ridiculous word I could find and got it right away.

KarenMarlowe said:

QB 
question

The pangram is a little weird but I got it early. Pretty straightforward. No dunno, or rando, or journo...

congrats snake ... no "dunno" and company but for me their equivalent words yesterday were "prat" and "apparat" 

jimmurphy said:

triple congrats on those QBs  question Today I'm stuck at QB-3...and that's after already having guessed: the doozy pangram  

Just got QB question

Third day in a row for me as well. Some "interesting" words, but the last one pretty much should have been my first... 

KarenMarlowe said:

Just got QB 
question

Third day in a row for me as well. Some "interesting" words, but the last one pretty much should have been my first... 

that's quite the achievement for you and Jim...as for me, I don't think I've ever managed to get 3 QBs in three weeks, maybe not even in three months  cheese

alha said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Just got QB 
question

that's quite the achievement for you and Jim...as for me, I don't think I've ever managed to get 3 QBs in three weeks, maybe not even in three months 
cheese

I have never before--never even two until this week. I guess I was in the zone, but I'm no jimmurphy.  cheese

KarenMarlowe said:

I have never before--never even two until this week. I guess I was in the zone, but I'm no jimmurphy. 
cheese

oh oh

2nd QB today.  I usually stop at genius, but there were some obvious ones I noted quickly, so kept going. 

dave said:

2nd QB today.  I usually stop at genius, but there were some obvious ones I noted quickly, so kept going. 

Nice! QB-4 so far here.

jimmurphy said:

dave said:

Nice! QB-4 so far here.

Congrats, dave! QB-8 and not sure I am going to get much further.

Misses yesterday were fatty and niftily.

Got QB today!

Two words were lucky guesses. And the Pangram is just dumb, IMO.

jimmurphy said:

Misses yesterday were fatty and niftily.

Got QB today!

Two words were lucky guesses. And the Pangram is just dumb, IMO.

I call BS on today's pangram. I do not for a minute believe it's a real word. I just took a wild **** guess and got it.

Ditto about today's pangram, though i'm not sure it's the most farfetched i've seen (imo of course).

Last 2 words yesterday were affiant (easily as obscure as some i've tried and failed with) and infantility (really?).  Fatly also seemed ?? to me.

Still one short today.  Will it be an unknown or a face palm??

Yeah, got the pangram. Silly. I think I’m QB-3. Not gonna get QB today.

Early QB. Good day to go for it!

jimmurphy said:

and yet another QB  cheese meanwhile I'm struggling here at QB-5  LOL

alha said:

jimmurphy said:

and yet another QB 
cheese
meanwhile I'm struggling here at QB-5 
LOL

QB -7 here and I just got two... You're doing great, alha! (I think jim cheats.  cheese )

KarenMarlowe said:

QB -7 here and I just got two... You're doing great, alha! (I think jim cheats.

Hey! cheese 

I have maintained my standard of looking at the first table in hints for about a month now. Total number of words for each letter. Saves so much time not looking for words that aren’t there and it does focus one, of course.

QB-1 nine-letter word today.

So many words!

SO many words. -13 and may not get back to it.

-1 looks good to me!

I got to Genius and there are still 19 words left for QB. I don't have the focus or stamina to get that far.

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

QB -7 here and I just got two... You're doing great, alha! (I think jim cheats.
Hey!
cheese

I have maintained my standard of looking at the first table in hints for about a month now. Total number of words for each letter. Saves so much time not looking for words that aren’t there and it does focus one, of course.

I have been trying without any hint other than the total number of words in the solution. I'm going to start this method. It might get me to an occasional QB grin

Got the QB, albeit with a hint from my sister. Last word was “very similar” to another 9-letter word that I already had.

Got it once more.

A couple of toughies, but I’m remembering from past puzzles.

With help from jimmurphy's sister, got to QB yesterday, with all hints as usual.  Far off again today.

jimmurphy said:

Got it once more.

A couple of toughies, but I’m remembering from past puzzles.

more than a couple of toughies for me...QB-5 to be precise...It was a struggle just to get to Genius today.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.