The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

got it today! Something productive came from NJ Transit kicking us off the train in Newark and having to wait on the platform for a few minutes,

I got to -3 in nothing flat and stalled. I'll take another crack.

jfinnegan said:

got it today! Something productive came from NJ Transit kicking us off the train in Newark and having to wait on the platform for a few minutes,

well done! question I just got to QB myself...last word was a lucky guess

I got to -1. Not seeing it

I used the Buddy to get the last word. It was frustrating because I felt pretty sure the last word was eight letters, ending in "ably" with a root word ending in e. 

Sure enough -- "laudably". But I just wasn't seeing it without a hint. 

I wasn't even close yesterday. Congrats to all the QBs!

Just got an early QB!    Another good day to go for it!

jimmurphy said:

Just got an early QB!    Another good day to go for it!

congrats on your first-of-the month QB cheese  I'm stuck again at QB -1

ml1 said:

I used the Buddy to get the last word. It was frustrating because I felt pretty sure the last word was eight letters, ending in "ably" with a root word ending in e. 

Sure enough -- "laudably". But I just wasn't seeing it without a hint. 

My last word too.

Why is "anole" not an acceptable word????? Every third grade class around here used to have them as part of the Science curriculum! Not sure if they still do, but it certainly isn't an esoteric word! "Bubba" and "gonna" and "noob" are all OK but not words like "adit" or "anole"???? Ack!!!

I was never going to get longan. Never heard of it.   

KarenMarlowe said:

I was never going to get longan. Never heard of it.   

Ditto, had to look it up.

just got QB and expect to share the crown with others here today  question

alha said:

just got QB and expect to share the crown with others here today 
question

Me too! Earlier today. 

I was a bit annoyed by a particular past-tense word as well as a slangy body-part word.

Congratulations, alha and jim! I was not close and would have never gotten delt... 

The past tense i think is what you hope to do with an uneasy horse?  The body part, i was guessing it might be a variant of a past tense, otherwise would never have gotten it.

KarenMarlowe said:

Congratulations, alha and jim! I was not close and would have never gotten delt... 

I took a wild stab at "delt" as my last word. I just strung together those 4 letters at random and was surprised to see it was actually a word...never even dawned on me that it was the shortened version of "deltoid"

"Chiral" doesn't count today.  cool cheese

alha said:

I took a wild stab at "delt" as my last word. I just strung together those 4 letters at random and was surprised to see it was actually a word...never even dawned on me that it was the shortened version of "deltoid"

yup and gentled. Didn’t care for that one either.

Got QB today!  smile

And liking the improved stats!

I have never heard of inveigle.

jimmurphy said:

yup and gentled. Didn’t care for that one either.

Got QB today! 
smile

nice! raspberry would have been there with you but missed "noncom" and "nonunion"

alha said:

nice!

would have been there with you but missed "noncom" and "nonunion"

I was in the Army, so noncom sticks. I always thought nonunion was hyphenated, but then again I’m an over-hyphenator. Have learned to just put it as one word.

Got QB again today! 

Another QB today. One very odd word that has been in the puzzle before.

jimmurphy said:

I was in the Army, so noncom sticks. I always thought nonunion was hyphenated, but then again I’m an over-hyphenator. Have learned to just put it as one word.

Got QB again today! 

...this time I missed QB by three: exacta, exec, and tatted

jimmurphy said:

Another QB today. One very odd word that has been in the puzzle before.

wow, very impressive; meanwhile I'm getting further and further from the crown...I'm at QB -4 today  long face

Today definitely took longer, a tough set of letters, at least at the beginning.

Got QB again today.

For the last few days, in the interest of time spent, once I get to QB-5 or better I’ve been looking at the first table on the hints page that tells you many words start with each letter. 

Saves a lot of time looking for words that are not there. 

I got to QB today, too. Funny how some days you look at the letters and look at the letters and have to struggle to get to Genius, never mind QB and other days they words just leap out at you. I wonder if different combinations of letters are easier for most of us, or if we each have our own set of favorable words.

cody said:

I got to QB today, too. Funny how some days you look at the letters and look at the letters and have to struggle to get to Genius, never mind QB and other days they words just leap out at you. I wonder if different combinations of letters are easier for most of us, or if we each have our own set of favorable words.

no QB too for me today...only QB -2  angry

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.