The New York Times Crossword Puzzle thread

Confounding  

drummerboy said:

I finished the puzzle, but I'm still trying to understand 33 and 50 across.

Guess I'll have to see what Rex has to say.

BaseballMom said:

To suggest a word, did you click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the Rankings page, or did you copy the address into your email program?

I’ve clicked on the hyperlink several times. I just say “ _______ is a word.” Maybe I should be more gracious?
grin
I don’t even remember what words I’ve suggested.

zucca said:

I complained about "poppet" not being a word once and it was a word the next time it appeared. I'm sure I'm not the only one who complained, but he does amend the list sometimes.

Nowadays I just copy and paste the definition of the word from a google search. 

What happened to the Yesterday button in Spelling Bee?  Anybody else missing it?

There's a Yesterday button?

Oh, you mean "Yesterday's Answers"? I never noticed that before, but I see it now. I've been going to another web site to check the answers.

mjc said:

What happened to the Yesterday button in Spelling Bee?  Anybody else missing it?

It is now in the upper right corner of the day’s puzzle, next to “Help”.

BaseballMom said:

I can't remember how I did it! But there's a word from today's that I'd like to request, too.

Thank you, jimmurphy!  There it is!

The bee, at first glance, looks very tough today.

ETA: hmm, maybe not

ETA2: definitely not. done.

drummerboy said:

agree, intimidating at first glance 

what constitutes “done” for you?

oots said:

drummerboy said:

agree, intimidating at first glance 

what constitutes “done” for you?

reaching genius

yeah, the X and Z kind of threw me at first. Then I saw the letter combination that was the key to word-making.

I go for "genius and one pangram." I'd like to get the Queen Bee sometime, but I have a hard time staying motivated when the goal is that ambiguous -- not knowing how many more words or the total possible points makes it hard to persist, and this is after all supposed to be entertainment, not a chore.

drummerboy said:

I had the same befuddlement upon first glance, but I wasn't really awake. It took a bit but I made it to genius. I don't have the time to search for more words to get that mythical beast though. 

In addition to pangram searching, my favorite thing is to see if I can avoid the "Are you kidding me? I didn't see ?"  Or "I forgot about that? Better call the nursing home, honey."

What's the Queen Bee?

and yeah, I go for the pangram each time too. Hard to get to genius without it.

drummerboy said:

What's the Queen Bee?

Finding every word on the list.

I found today to be pretty easy for some reason. Got the pangram on the first word. 

Yesterday was a slog due to the high number. Got there but it took a while.

PVW said:

drummerboy said:

What's the Queen Bee?

Finding every word on the list.

There are words that are extra on the list since there are multiple ways you can get to the genius level. The actual total the puzzle maker has decided are valid entries on the list is not really given for you to see until you get QB.

Queen Bee sounds like an all day affair.

I've only hit QB twice, but did it last week in under 20 minutes.

dave said:

I've only hit QB twice, but did it last week in under 20 minutes.

lookit the big brains on Dave!  cheese

PVW said:

I go for "genius and one pangram." I'd like to get the Queen Bee sometime, but I have a hard time staying motivated when the goal is that ambiguous -- not knowing how many more words or the total possible points makes it hard to persist, and this is after all supposed to be entertainment, not a chore.

The goal is actually not ambiguous. I'm happy to share but don't want to spoil it for those who like Queen Bee to be ambiguous. I don't reach Queen very often (usually happy to stop at Genius including a Pangram), but I do once in a while, and a little more often once my son and I compare our lists, once we've both hit the above target.

zucca said:

The goal is actually not ambiguous. I'm happy to share but don't want to spoil it for those who like Queen Bee to be ambiguous. I don't reach Queen very often (usually happy to stop at Genius including a Pangram), but I do once in a while, and a little more often once my son and I compare our lists, once we've both hit the above target.

Do you have a link to where I can find out more? Then people who want to avoid spoilers can continue to avoid that.

Shall I message you? Not sure about a link  

PVW said:

Do you have a link to where I can find out more? Then people who want to avoid spoilers can continue to avoid that.

zucca said:

Sure, though I assume others also would be interested, hence my suggestion for a way to share publicly while giving people the option to ignore.

tougher today 

no clue on pangram 

stuck 4 points from amazing 

I messaged you.

PVW said:

Sure, though I assume others also would be interested, hence my suggestion for a way to share publicly while giving people the option to ignore.

Thanks zucca.

I was able to confirm your hint. For others who want to know, and to save zucca beings asked to DM each person individually, the same advice is on this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYTSpellingBee/comments/li5w9j/getting_to_queen_bee_without_help/gn2cnfh/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

If you want to keep the mysteries of Queen Bee secret, don't click the link.

For those who want to know how I confirmed that hint, when I came across a browser extension that gives you hints for Spelling Bee, and that extension has its code up on github (a free place to host software). Again, don't click if you don't want the mysteries revealed, but compare these two lines:

https://github.com/draber/draber.github.io/blob/26f93adaf427d039021372ca8ae72b446a15df98/src/extension/spelling-bee-assistant.js#L829

https://github.com/draber/draber.github.io/blob/26f93adaf427d039021372ca8ae72b446a15df98/src/extension/spelling-bee-assistant.js#L831

I can't get through today's bee. got the pangram but I'm stuck at great. I'd be better off if they had allowed apriori.

ETA: my mistake. it's "a priori".

There are a bunch of things they could have allowed, starting with prion. 

The most annoying are ones that show up pretty often in the crossword (olla, anyone?), but aren't listed for Bee.  But then, i'm too lazy to ask to have them added, so can't complain (though i guess i just did).

mjc said:

There are a bunch of things they could have allowed, starting with prion. 

The most annoying are ones that show up pretty often in the crossword (olla, anyone?), but aren't listed for Bee.  But then, i'm too lazy to ask to have them added, so can't complain (though i guess i just did).

yeah, I agree about the crossword thing. thought the same myself.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!