The New York Times - They're even more evil now

joanne said:

Sooooooo much material for the panto this year, and it’s not even May yet!  
oh oh

We're writing it. Let's hope we'll be able to rehearse and perform it next year.

ridski said:

joanne said:

Sooooooo much material for the panto this year, and it’s not even May yet!  
oh oh

We're writing it. Let's hope we'll be able to rehearse and perform it next year.

Idea: can you release an RPG version this year, kinda like the Family Lockdown version? Or would that be the Ronald Dahl ‘Kiss of Death’?

If you did do something like that, I’d buy several as Chrissie presents  rolleyes

ridski said:

you guys would be awesome in a Zoom room

nohero said:

basil said:

STANV said:

What's your point?

I disagree, why does every post have to make a point?

Good point.

Agreed!

ml1 said:

basil said:

May I offer that both of you are wrong? As a compromise?

sure. I'm not sure that makes logical sense, but why not?

You are wrong. They are both right.

ml1 said:

ridski said:

you guys would be awesome in a Zoom room

It could end up as a radio play. Who knows?

Here is a page out of “Anguished English” by Richard Lederer. It relates to headlines in newspapers, so I thought the fans of this thread would get a chuckle...

How is Biden going to get a #Metoo pass? NYT does a weak denial on a conclusion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/us/politics/tara-reade-joe-biden.html

mtierney said:

How is Biden going to get a #Metoo pass? NYT does a weak denial on a conclusion.

It's a news article, recounting what different people involved in the issue are saying (including Ms. Reade).

Ms. Mtierney says it "does a weak denial on a conclusion".  What does that comment mean?  Does Ms. Mtierney contend that the news article should have reached a conclusion, instead of just reporting the facts known and the positions taken? 

mtierney said:

given some of the new revelations of people confirming that Reade told them about this event when it allegedly happened or shortly thereafter, I'm inclined to believe that it did happen.  But that's not good enough for a reputable news organization, to be "inclined" to believe it.

But it's beyond hypocritical for you to have been supporting a man with about two dozen credible accusations of sexual assault against him, and be concerned about this.

nohero and ml1,

You really must join my support group. We can figure out the social distancing.

STANV said:

nohero and ml1,

You really must join my support group. We can figure out the social distancing.

No thanks.  I follow the Groucho rule.

nohero said:

No thanks.  I follow the Groucho rule.

Then you will have to wait for the vaccine.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

But it's beyond hypocritical for you to have been supporting a man with about two dozen credible accusations of sexual assault against him, and be concerned about this.

It’s all about objective reporting. Trump was raked over the coals when he was a candidate—there was no hear-say that was left unreported in news coverage, which bordered on the salacious for months on end, and continue to this day. 

I think the press wants to protect, Biden, the only Democratic candidate left standing. This is partisan coverage in an attempt to support a really weak candidate with skeletons in the family closet.

On the other hand, the  press loves any hint of wrong-doing by any member of the Trump family. 

The answer to your question is: Trump (and Kavanaugh) can’t be fair game, while Biden gets a pass.

mtierney said:

It’s all about objective reporting. Trump was raked over the coals when he was a candidate—there was no hear-say that was left unreported in news coverage, which bordered on the salacious for months on end, and continue to this day. 

The allegations against Trump are not "hearsay". 

mtierney said:

I think the press wants to protect, Biden, the only Democratic candidate left standing. This is partisan coverage in an attempt to support a really weak candidate with skeletons in the family closet.

On the other hand, the  press loves any hint of wrong-doing by any member of the Trump family. 

The answer to your question is: Trump (and Kavanaugh) can’t be fair game, while Biden gets a pass.

the fact that the press is reporting the Biden allegations at all without solid corroboration is about all they can do.

Trump was "raked over the coals" in your words because a video surfaced in which he bragged about committing sexual assaults. And his description of those assaults was identical to several of the allegations against him.

On a different topic, here on, let’s say, the newspaper thread:

A story in the Star-Ledger worthy of note ...

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/i-witnessed-a-mans-coronavirus-funeral-when-his-family-could-not-this-is-his-story.html

a few years too late

Today the NY Times printed a false headline in effect lying about what Tara Reade's husband said about what she told him. The headline:

Reade Told Ex-Husband that Biden Harassed Her 

The article states "The Records ... do not specifically say that Mr. Biden .. was the perpetrator..."

from the times:

“This is why the whole concept of tests aren’t necessarily great,” the president said. “The tests are perfect, but something can happen between a test where it’s good and then something happens and all of a sudden” it is not.

Some experts said he has a point. “People need to understand the limitations of testing,” said Nellie Brown, the director of workplace health and safety programs at the Worker Institute at Cornell University, who is advising businesses on how to reopen safely. “When you take a test you’re basically getting a slice in time. You know what is happening at that moment, but you don’t know what may happen even soon after that.”

The first paragraph is where Trump shows he has not the slightest clue of what testing is for. He is terrifyingly ignorant.

Instead of pointing this out, the second paragraph attempts to excuse his idiocy.

Why do that? Is that being objective? They take a quote by a crazy man, and then try to normalize it.

Evil.

drummerboy said:

from the times:

“This is why the whole concept of tests aren’t necessarily great,” the president said. “The tests are perfect, but something can happen between a test where it’s good and then something happens and all of a sudden” it is not.

Some experts said he has a point. “People need to understand the limitations of testing,” said Nellie Brown, the director of workplace health and safety programs at the Worker Institute at Cornell University, who is advising businesses on how to reopen safely. “When you take a test you’re basically getting a slice in time. You know what is happening at that moment, but you don’t know what may happen even soon after that.”

The first paragraph is where Trump shows he has not the slightest clue of what testing is for. He is terrifyingly ignorant.

Instead of pointing this out, the second paragraph attempts to excuse his idiocy.

Why do that? Is that being objective? They take a quote by a crazy man, and then try to normalize it.

Evil.

yes, they got an expert to state the obvious, in support of Trump's straw man.  As I wrote in another thread, the reason for testing is not for the people who test negative to assume they're safe and can't transmit the virus.  It's to find people who test positive, and send them home to isolate until they test negative.

yeah, the thing is - the important thing - is that Trump fundamentally misunderstands the purpose of the one thing that all epidemiologists agree is the first step to getting the virus under control. His misunderstanding is probably preventing him from pushing for it. He just sees testing as something that will increase numbers that will make him look bad.

The Times should tell us that, and explain the importance of it.

Instead they make excuses for it, and completely neglect the important story.

NYT - either evil or stupid.

Does it matter which?

ICYMT, a sampling:

Page 1 story:Testing Falls Woefully Short as Trump Seeks an End to Stay-at-Home Orders (April 15)

Full-page graphic: Coronavirus Testing Needs to Triple Before the U.S. Can Reopen, Experts Say (April 21) Third paragraph: “That level of testing is needed to identify the majority of people who are infected and isolate them from people who are healthy, according to researchers.”

Opinion: Most Americans Who Carry the Coronavirus Don’t Know It / To suppress Covid-19, we need to test those with no symptoms. (April 26)

Two-day-old reminder: F.D.A. Paves Way for Home Testing of Coronavirus (May 8) Fourth paragraph: “Access to tests has been improving, but nationwide testing shortages continue to hamper the ability of health authorities to identify and isolate people who are infected.”

Nevertheless, “people need to understand the limitations of testing.” Or so says some crank at Cornell.

DaveSchmidt said:

ICYMT, a sampling:

Page 1 story:Testing Falls Woefully Short as Trump Seeks an End to Stay-at-Home Orders (April 15)

Full-page graphic: Coronavirus Testing Needs to Triple Before the U.S. Can Reopen, Experts Say (April 21) Third paragraph: “That level of testing is needed to identify the majority of people who are infected and isolate them from people who are healthy, according to researchers.”

Opinion: Most Americans Who Carry the Coronavirus Don’t Know It / To suppress Covid-19, we need to test those with no symptoms. (April 26)

Two-day-old reminder: F.D.A. Paves Way for Home Testing of Coronavirus (May 8) Fourth paragraph: “Access to tests has been improving, but nationwide testing shortages continue to hamper the ability of health authorities to identify and isolate people who are infected.”

Nevertheless, “people need to understand the limitations of testing.” Or so says some crank at Cornell.

Your point is what, exactly?

The issue is that we have an idiot President, who is utterly unfit to take leadership for this crisis. Talking about the mechanics of testing, and what the needs are is useless without talking about the fact that there is no chance of federal leadership in this area, because Trump doesn't understand it.

i.e. we need more testing, which the Feds will never help to provide, because of Trump. Can the states step in on their own?

That's the story.  We need more and more testing, but the Prez is too damn dumb to understand why.

Where's that story?

And seriously, do you think that "people need to understand the limitations of testing" is the appropriate response to Trump's statement? It implies that he's making sense. Do you think he's making sense?

Also, who are these "people" who are misunderstanding testing?  Has she taken a poll?

Anyway, it's Trump whose misunderstanding is at issue here. Not the "people", whoever they are.  It's truly a craptastic quote, put in for no other reason than to "balance" Trump's obliviousness.

Also, it's kind of amusing to see how people buy into the Times as an authority.

drummerboy said:

Your point is what, exactly?

My point was to share a sampling of stories on the topic, in case they were missed. If they or I kind of amuse you, consider it a favor returned.

drummerboy said:

And seriously, do you think that "people need to understand the limitations of testing" is the appropriate response to Trump's statement? It implies that he's making sense. Do you think he's making sense?

I’m not the sharpest guy around, so when I hear someone say you can be infected soon after a test, I think, yeah, that makes sense. Thankfully, when that thought strikes me, articles from The Times and other news outlets have given me a good response that I can recall. While this particular article didn’t provide that already familiar response, it did use Trump’s quote to raise another issue: That with all the talk about and emphasis on testing, it can be easy to overlook that it’s just one part of the necessary strategy and not a panacea. I appreciated that reminder.

But that’s me.

Do you believe that normalization can be a bad thing?

drummerboy said:

Do you believe that normalization can be a bad thing?

Yes. I also believe that ideas about what normalizes Trump and his administration, and what doesn’t, will differ.

Personally, I wouldn’t want your or ideas to guide the news coverage I consume. When I think about things and form my opinions, I want to meet and grasp opposing views on their strongest, most sensible terms. You reject or dismiss the validity of a lot of views and other information that have merits and logic I want to consider. Coverage that followed your standards for avoiding normalization would hinder me.

in the last example, the writer didn't present an opposing view.  The writer found "some" experts to confirm Trump's straw man.  An opposing view might have been presented by finding experts on testing who pointed out that no one credible in the medical community is making the argument that Trump was criticizing.  What the writer did was worse than providing an opposing view.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.