Fascism arrives in full swing (was The most important thing right now....)

terp said:

Yes.  Same for car dealerships, furniture stores and federal courts.  They all burn the same!

OK, so I guess you're ok rationalizing and denying rioting among sports fans.  

Is that really what you think I'm doing?  I just think that fights in Giants Stadium is a very different thing than months of riots with looting, arson, shootings, vandalism, blocking traffic, etc.

terp said:

Is that really what you think I'm doing?  I just think that fights in Giants Stadium is a very different thing than months of riots with looting, arson, shootings, vandalism, blocking traffic, etc.

Even here there seems a mixing up of moral weights. Does "blocking traffic" really belong right alongside "shootings"? If it does, then arguing that "fights at Giants Stadium" are really that different feels pretty arbitrary.

terp said:

I think you missed my earlier point which is that we don't attribute the rioting after a postseason game to all NFL fans the way some people are attributing arson and looting in Portland to BLM as a whole.

And I'm not talking about fights at Giants games.  If you look at the tweets in this article, aside from the hashtags it looks almost exactly the same as the video clips you are posting. And yet, nobody claims that football fandom is inherently violent.

Philly riots: Eagles fans set fires, flip cars after Super Bowl win (photos, video)

ml1 said:

terp said:

I think you missed my earlier point which is that we don't attribute the rioting after a postseason game to all NFL fans the way some people are attributing arson and looting in Portland to BLM as a whole.

And I'm not talking about fights at Giants games.  If you look at the tweets in this article, aside from the hashtags it looks almost exactly the same as the video clips you are posting. And yet, nobody claims that football fandom is inherently violent.

Philly riots: Eagles fans set fires, flip cars after Super Bowl win (photos, video)

I don't know.  I think we could make the case that Eagles fans are inherently violent.  ;-)

It would be more understandable if the behavior did not go on as long as it has.  Can I understand people becoming emotional and losing their bearings for a night?  Sure.  3 months?  That is something different.  At some point you know exactly what you are doing.

PVW said:

terp said:

Even here there seems a mixing up of moral weights. Does "blocking traffic" really belong right alongside "shootings"? If it does, then arguing that "fights at Giants Stadium" are really that different feels pretty arbitrary.

People have been assaulted and one person was killed due to this behavior.  There has been a lot of baiting people.  They block a car and the car tries to gingerly get by the crowd.  They then attack claiming the driver was trying to run them over.  There has been a lot of these incidences captured on video and in certain cases it has caused the driver to panic.

Where that fits in the "moral weight" category is hard to know.  But it's easy to identify as stupid and dangerous. 

terp said:

PVW said:

terp said:

People have been assaulted and one person was killed due to this behavior.  There has been a lot of baiting people.  They block a car and the car tries to gingerly get by the crowd.  They then attack claiming the driver was trying to run them over.  There has been a lot of these incidences captured on video and in certain cases it has caused the driver to panic.

Where that fits in the "moral weight" category is hard to know.  But it's easy to identify as stupid and dangerous. 

Then the act would be "dragging people out of a car and assaulting them" not "blocking traffic."

terp said:

PVW said:

terp said:

this is quite disingenuous. there are numerous videos where cars are very clearly trying (and succeeding sometimes) to mow people down.

also, if people are standing right in front of your car, and you keep driving, you are not "gingerly" trying to get by. You are trying to run them over.

And yet again, the people recently killed (3 by my count) were all killed when pro-Trumpers provocatively entered the fray on their own.

You have yet to acknowledge this fact.

terp said:

It would be more understandable if the behavior did not go on as long as it has.  Can I understand people becoming emotional and losing their bearings for a night?  Sure. 3 months?  That is something different.  At some point you know exactly what you are doing.

I know, right? With all the cameras and increased scrutiny, you'd think the police would have stopped shooting unarmed Black people by now.

terp said:

I don't know.  I think we could make the case that Eagles fans are inherently violent.  ;-)

It would be more understandable if the behavior did not go on as long as it has.  Can I understand people becoming emotional and losing their bearings for a night?  Sure.  3 months?  That is something different.  At some point you know exactly what you are doing.

So there are thresholds for when rioting and arson is or isn't a big deal?  If it doesn't go on as long, or if they don't burn more than a certain number of cars, or break a certain amount of windows it's not a big deal?  And it's ok if it's celebrating a football win, but not ok if it's protesting social injustice?

ml1 said:

terp said:

So there are thresholds for when rioting and arson is or isn't a big deal?  If it doesn't go on as long, or if they don't burn more than a certain number of cars, or break a certain amount of windows it's not a big deal?  And it's ok if it's celebrating a football win, but not ok if it's protesting social injustice?

No.  It's never ok.  It's just that the argument that this is done because of rage or passion is easier to buy when it lasts a day.  When it lasts for 3 months and going, people are not acting out of uncontrollable rage or passion.  Not any normal people anyway.

terp said:

No.  It's never ok.  It's just that the argument that this is done because of rage or passion is easier to buy when it lasts a day.  When it lasts for 3 months and going, people are not acting out of uncontrollable rage or passion.  Not any normal people anyway.

I guess you missed that Jacob Blake was shot by cops just last week? And that all the sports teams stopped playing sports last week?  And that 'not normal people' like law professors recognize: 

"It's just the compounded grief, the compounded trauma of these horrific murders, these lynchings," said Alexis Hoag, lecturer and associate research scholar at Columbia Law School. "What's so striking about Kenosha is that it put this racial inequality in sharp relief.

Terp -- it just happened. A cop put seven shots in the back of an unarmed Black man who was walking away. In front of his kids. The cops just dialed the rage and passion up to 11.

terp said:

BTW:  Heres some video from the peaceful protest outside Mayor Wheeler's condo that the Times mentioned.  I wonder how the other people in his building feel about this.  There were also people camped out in the building lobby.

So, Ted Wheeler is moving because of this.

terp said:

So Black people should just get over their anger about police brutality and systemic racism after a day. Even when more incidents keep occurring.  

hmm, how does this rank on the Fascist-o-meter?

ml1 said:

terp said:

So Black people should just get over their anger about police brutality and systemic racism after a day. Even when more incidents keep occurring.  

Who said anything about "getting over"?  And I don't think the demographics of the rioters and certainly the long term ones in places like Portland are what your claim seems to assume.

terp said:

Who said anything about "getting over"?  And I don't think the demographics of the rioters and certainly the long term ones in places like Portland are what your claim seems to assume.

Then maybe nobody should be connecting Portland to BLM demonstrators. Which some of us have been saying all along. 

drummerboy said:

In an interview with Vice earlier in the day, he said he was in hiding because of death threats, and he didn't believe that law enforcement would try to protect him.

Man Linked to Killing at a Portland Protest Says He Acted in Self-Defense

He had not turned himself in, he said, because he believed right-wing protesters were collaborating with police, who will not protect him or his family.

Not surprising:

Alexander Reid Ross on what the media got wrong about the Portland protests: Everything

We in Portland have been dealing with right-wing extremists and police abuse for a long time. Portland has experience with the likes of right-wing extremist groups such as Patriot Prayer and the Proud Boys. This is not new to us.

I would go out to protests and see how the political violence is not a result of the breakdown in the monopoly of violence held by the police. The political violence was a result of the Proud Boys and the police effectively acting as two different elements of the same side. It wasn't that the police had lost the monopoly of violence. It was the police were shooting us in order to allow the Proud Boys to march through the city without proper permits.

Most mainstream news media coverage of the protests which have taken place here in Portland, recently and before, totally fail to acknowledge or even fathom the police involvement in the rise of the far right in this community. That failure has cascaded to the point that we are now at a point where the press is painting the current crisis as some type of grudge match between the feds and the anarchists. In fact, the protest movement is a very diverse group of people — especially by Portland standards — who are coming out night after night and making extraordinarily clear demands and being absolutely brutalized in the streets every night.

and it should be noted that Andy Ngo, who has been cited multiple times in this thread is by no means an independent journalist in Portland.  He is known to be a collaborator with and a tool of the Proud Boys. So any of his accusation of protester violence need to be read in that context.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/andy-ngo-right-wing-troll-antifa-877914/

Also, they're calling him antifa, though he apparently said a couple of days ago that he was not antifa.

Did Nazi that coming ... 

nohero said:

Did Nazi that coming ... 

Ah, Naughty Newt rears his ugly head once again. This principled, devout catholic impeached Bill Clinton for having an affair with Monica Lewinsky. While he was doing that, he was also cheating on his second wife, while she had cancer, with a 20 year old congressional aide (!) by the name of Callista Bisek. He married her, and she then got appointed by Trump as the US Ambassador to the Vatican.

You can't even make this stuff up.

here's an interesting and hopeful tidbit

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.