Fascism arrives in full swing (was The most important thing right now....)

Who can forget this one.

terp said:

There has been some focus on the RNC and the Sturgis bike rally and how they are going to spread Covid.  But you never hear mention of that regarding the BLM rallies.

You never hear it because the Sturgis and RNC crowds don't observe any precautions. At BLM rallies, marchers are wearing facemasks. 

terp said:

nohero said:

terp said:

I'm just pointing out obvious media bias.  Maybe it would have been better if he drove a luxury car?

There hasn't been any "pointing out obvious media bias".  There's been an anecdote about one (apparently not well-in-the-head) person.  To reach a conclusion about bias, we'd need to know how many similar people are reported on, vs. the number not reported on.

There is obvious media bias.  Why do they continue to call the protests peaceful when they clearly are not.  If there was a pro-Trump rally that was peaceful, but ended up with rioting, do you really think MSNBC or CNN would ensure everyone should think of them as peaceful by continually having that word on the screen?  Of course not.

There has been some focus on the RNC and the Sturgis bike rally and how they are going to spread Covid.  But you never hear mention of that regarding the BLM rallies.  

White on black crime and certainly police on black crime goes straight to the top of the news cycle.  Police on white crime doesn't get even a mention.  Black on white crime hardly gets a mention.  Black on black crime hardly gets a mention.

To think that there is no bias is frankly rather silly.

Poor beleaguered white folks- everybody's always picking on you. If it's not one thing it's another. You guys need to organize or something.

nohero said:

terp said:

There has been some focus on the RNC and the Sturgis bike rally and how they are going to spread Covid. But you never hear mention of that regarding the BLM rallies.

You never hear it because the Sturgis and RNC crowds don't observe any precautions. At BLM rallies, marchers are wearing facemasks.

Also, there’s the question of whether the reasons that bikers and RNC audiences gather together are comparable to the stakes that bring out protesters.

terp said:

I don't believe I called you anything.  It seems that you enjoy casting aspersions in my direction lately but I have cast none here that I can tell.

I did say “if”. 

terp said:

ml1 said:

nohero said:

I wasn't asking for the purpose of an ad hominem attack on sources, I was asking how this story came to your attention in the absence of the "corporate media".  What did the person on the Twitter say about it, and is that person local in Denver or learn about it in another part of the country?

it's actually a "mainstream media source."  A local CBS affiliate.  About as "mainstream" as it can be.  And nobody was questioning it as a legitimate source.  The question is whether or not the story really reflects on the BLM movement, or is it just a possibly mentally ill person on a rampage?

I don't remember people here  being this thoughtful when the violence was coming from crazies perceived to be from the right.  IIRC, the clarion call was The right owns him

which ones?  Do you have examples?  And how many of them confessed to being "psychopaths"?

and not for nothing but the reason BLM is referred to as a largely peaceful movement is because it has been.  As of June 6, it was estimated that as many as 26 million people in 550 locations had turned out to demonstrate.  The vast, vast majority of the protests have been conducted peacefully.

Black Lives Matter May Be the Largest Movement in U.S. History

we've been through this many, many times on this board, but it bears mentioning again.  Anecdotes are not data. High profile incidents often result in attribution biases.  People see a violent demonstration on television, or in a handful of tweets and they can't put it in the context of tens of millions of people who demonstrated peacefully.  

DaveSchmidt said:

nohero said:

terp said:

There has been some focus on the RNC and the Sturgis bike rally and how they are going to spread Covid. But you never hear mention of that regarding the BLM rallies.

You never hear it because the Sturgis and RNC crowds don't observe any precautions. At BLM rallies, marchers are wearing facemasks.

Also, there’s the question of whether the reasons that bikers and RNC audiences gather together are comparable to the stakes that bring out protesters.

But the corporate media does not seem to ponder that question.   It seems to focus on the danger of events they don't support and try to minimize any talk of violence during events they do support.

ml1 said:

terp said:

ml1 said:

nohero said:

I wasn't asking for the purpose of an ad hominem attack on sources, I was asking how this story came to your attention in the absence of the "corporate media".  What did the person on the Twitter say about it, and is that person local in Denver or learn about it in another part of the country?

it's actually a "mainstream media source."  A local CBS affiliate.  About as "mainstream" as it can be.  And nobody was questioning it as a legitimate source.  The question is whether or not the story really reflects on the BLM movement, or is it just a possibly mentally ill person on a rampage?

I don't remember people here  being this thoughtful when the violence was coming from crazies perceived to be from the right.  IIRC, the clarion call was The right owns him

which ones?  Do you have examples?  And how many of them confessed to being "psychopaths"?

This was the one that came to mind.

It's obvious there are both peaceful and violent protesters in US cities with the peaceful far outnumbering the violent.   It's Trump's mission to ratchet up the violence and keep the news focused on it rather than his failed term in office.

How is Trump ratcheting up the violence?

terp said:

There you go again, giving Trump credit where none is deserved.

and,  are you kidding?

at the very least, do you think the appropriate Presidential response to rioting in major cities is to rant on about how this is the fault of the "Democrat" leadership of those cities? (of course, you probably believe that one)

Has he said anything to try and appeal to calm? And has he done anything other than use the fact of the violence as a campaign issue?

Plus, his one actual "attempt" to do anything was to forcefully deploy a secret police force, which did nothing but increase the violence.

drummerboy said:

terp said:

There you go again, giving Trump credit where none is deserved.

and,  are you kidding?

at the very least, do you think the appropriate Presidential response to rioting in major cities is to rant on about how this is the fault of the "Democrat" leadership of those cities? (of course, you probably believe that one)

Has he said anything to try and appeal to calm? And has he done anything other than use the fact of the violence as a campaign issue?

I was asking a question. It asserted that his mission was to ratchet up the violence.  I was asking how.  I think it is fair to ask why the leadership of these cities allowed the damage to go on largely unabated.

I answered your question.

Also, what do you propose the city leadership do? And do you know they're not doing it?

terp said:

Well listening to Mark Levin would have one asking a dumb question like this..  

terp said:

from eleven years ago. And the shooter had a long history of white supremacist activity. 

Do you have anything else that might be truly the same as this recent event?

ml1 said:

terp said:

from eleven years ago. And the shooter had a long history of white supremacist activity. 

Not to mention that it doesn't prove Mr. Terp's point at all. 

nohero said:

Not to mention that it doesn't prove Mr. Terp's point at all. 

exactly.  The guy was immediately identified as a white supremacist because he in fact was a white supremacist.  And there was no indication that the shooter was psychotic.  He didn't claim to be hearing voices, or claim that God had ordered him to shoot someone.  The case in Aurora might turn out to be similar, but the fact that the perpetrator claimed to be a psychopath should give us some pause before declaring him a rational actor carrying out what he thinks is righteous in the name of BLM.

terp said:

You have to wonder why the mob went after Rand Paul and admonished him to acknowledge Breonna Taylor.

“In a tweet, Paul thanked the police for ‘literally saving our lives from a crazed mob.’ The video does not show protesters physically touching the Pauls. In an interview Friday morning on Fox News, Paul used the incident to bolster a political argument that Trump made Thursday night — that electing the Democratic ticket would pave the way for chaos in American cities. Paul is calling for an FBI investigation into the people who were in the crowd.”

DaveSchmidt said:

“In a tweet, Paul thanked the police for ‘literally saving our lives from a crazed mob.’ The video does not show protesters physically touching the Pauls. In an interview Friday morning on Fox News, Paul used the incident to bolster a political argument that Trump made Thursday night — that electing the Democratic ticket would pave the way for chaos in American cities. Paul is calling for an FBI investigation into the people who were in the crowd.”

How "libertarian".

nohero said:

DaveSchmidt said:

How "libertarian".

I believe the word is "hypocritical"

basil said:

I believe the word is "hypocritical"

Can't Senator Rand express his belief that Federal oversight is needed, because local officials won't provide justice for oppressed white people such as himself?

DaveSchmidt said:

terp said:

You have to wonder why the mob went after Rand Paul and admonished him to acknowledge Breonna Taylor.

I'm sure you felt very safe watching the video from your mother's basement.

ml1 said:

terp said:

Is it ok if the names of the people involved differ?

terp said:

Is it ok if the names of the people involved differ?

?

terp said:

I'm sure you felt very safe watching the video from your mother's basement.

question  You posted the article. My address is in the book. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.