THE GRATEFUL DEAD THREAD (JGB, FURTHUR, RATDOG, PHIL & FRIENDS, PHISH etc.)

ottob said:

My guess is that Sco was slammed with a large amount of material that is more complicated than meets the ear in a short period of time.

Makes sense. Which leads to the question--doesn't he practice/rehearse?

I would guess they were same-day rehearsals since these were all one-off gigs. It should be a feather in his cap that he could pull it all off at all. Dead tunes aren't considered standards in the real world, even though they may be in yours or mine. Scofield will be sitting in with Phil and John Medeski on keys later this summer at Gathering Of The Vibes. There's some real potential for out-there jamming.

ottob said:

I would guess they were same-day rehearsals since these were all one-off gigs. It should be a feather in his cap that he could pull it all off at all. Dead tunes aren't considered standards in the real world, even though they may be in yours or mine. Scofield will be sitting in with Phil and John Medeski on keys later this summer at Gathering Of The Vibes. There's some real potential for out-there jamming.

That would be worth seeing because it would give Phil fans an opportunity to see him do something different than GD jam stuff.

summer dates for Further!
http://www.furthur.net/

Brooklyn, PNC Bank Center, Philly, Boston...

May '77 box set? Tawk amongst yourselves...........

Saw it. Too many song repeats, for me.
I think the bootlegs in circulation adversely effect the quality of GD live releases.
How about a best of May '77 CD release?

5/8/77 going to the Library of Congress.

http://www.dead.net/features/blair-jackson/blair-s-golden-road-blog-cornell-77-enshrined-ages

Feh, y'all are just too hard to please.

How is Bob doing?

No news, just a cute sign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WnwEu7Ay1Dw

Just got this. A cleaned-up remixed version of a famous GD show is playing at movie theatres in the area on August 1 (someone's birthday).

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!sunshine-daydream/more-info/details

This might be worth going to....

Just saw this as a banner ad in my NYT-
This looks interesting too because Warren Haynes is one of the participating musicians, and the venue is beautiful. Of course, it does run the risk of being schmaltzy. It is Boston Pops afterall.

JUN 22 2013 Saturday, 8:30 PM
The Boston Pops performs a Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration
Tanglewood
Koussevitzky Music Shed Lenox MA
$23.50 - $79.00
A new symphonic project celebrating American musical icon Jerry Garcia. This ground-breaking orchestral adventure features Garcia's storied original compositions as well as classic interpretations of timeless standards that were hallmarks of Garcia's shows. Renowned vocalist/guitarist Warren Haynes collaborates with the symphony, lending his soul-soaked, introspective blend of rock, blues, R&B and jazz to Garcia's masterworks.

http://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/50059?utm_source=bso&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=twdgarcia

Looks interesting, wonder what they will preform. I would be curious as to the set list, as I don't know of any Dead that has been done with a full Orchestra. Eyes maybe, but definitely not Touch of Grey or Love Light. China Cat? Hmmmmmmm.......

Think the orchestra would work well on stuff like Slipknot/Help on the Way as well as some other Blues for Allah stuff and also on Terrapin. The album version of the whole Terrapin suite kind of has a bunch of quasi-classical parts in the middle that would work well with strings. I read Warren will be playing Jerry's Wolf guitar during these shows. Kinda cool to hear that it will doing what it was made for once again.

Garcia has an eclectic songbook. Psychedelic, blues and folk, rock, jazz fusion. Plenty of material to choose from.

Anybody going to Sunshine Daydream tomorrow night? Me and DH are heading up to East Hanover.

The unreleased Grateful Dead concert film Sunshine Daydream will open in select theaters on August 1st for a special screening at 7 p.m. local time presented by NCM Fathom Events.

The screening is a part of the "Grateful Dead Meet Up at the Movies 2013" series and tickets are available at theater box offices and at the Fathom website (where you can also check out a list of participating theaters).

Let me know how it is, I was supposed to go but my friend punked out on me at the last minute. Seems there is this silly thing called the PGA up here that everyone goes crazy over. On another note, did anyone read the piece on the Garcia symphony thing that is coming up? Now it really looks kind of boring, but it could be the guy that wrote the piece.

MonJay said:

On another note, did anyone read the piece on the Garcia symphony thing that is coming up? Now it really looks kind of boring, but it could be the guy that wrote the piece.

Are you on the west coast? I ask because that tour came by here in June and only has a few California dates left. I didn't see it when it came to Philly but would have been interested due to Warren's involvement. I'll get a double dose of him in August at the Peach Fest as he's playing with both the Allmans and Mule on that Saturday.

No, this was in the WSJ a few days back, could have even been yesterday (summer days blur in my mind). Peach Fest? Color me jealous, you get to see hairy Bobby as well. Make sure you have breakfast with him and let me know, OK?

Watched some of the live broadcast from TRI studios last night for Jerry's birthday. At one point Bobby was interviewing Jerry's daughters. Seriously, I had a hard time watching him. He's looking more and more like Jerry and at times was absolutly unintelligible.

MonJay said:

No, this was in the WSJ a few days back, could have even been yesterday (summer days blur in my mind). Peach Fest? Color me jealous, you get to see hairy Bobby as well. Make sure you have breakfast with him and let me know, OK?
Only going Saturday so no breakfast with Mr Weir.

judy3x said:

Watched some of the live broadcast from TRI studios last night for Jerry's birthday. At one point Bobby was interviewing Jerry's daughters. Seriously, I had a hard time watching him. He's looking more and more like Jerry and at times was absolutly unintelligible.

The TRI thing was downright funny at times due to how they were pretty much making up the couch talk as they went along. So yeah, Bob was rambling and changing subjects every other second but that's what I was kind of expecting. It's very much like public access tv.

@MonJay..."I was supposed to go but my friend punked out on me at the last minute"..so ya not going tonight to see the dead from a classic 72' show because.?? cool cheese

So, who went?
Is it a significant upgrade from what's on youtube?

This just in - http://www.dead.net/sunshine-daydream?eml=dead/080113/ssdbanner

The set for $60 is looking pretty good, who wants in? miles, I'll split it with you. I get to keep the stuff after you make copies, though angry

Unless you just have to have it, you can maybe skip the fancy set and download it here -

http://archive.org/details/gd72-08-27.sbd.orf.3328.sbeok.shnf

Amazing what a little research can do, though I'm betting there are a few of you out there that have actually been to this show. Come on, impress me.

Footnote to this concert - If it's streaming, that means I can't actually download the concert, right? I see many versions of this on Archive.org, though only a few MP3 ones.

Dead stuff on the Archive comes two ways. There is soundboard recordings which you can only stream and then there is audience recordings which you can download. You can choose between the two by clicking tabs on the site,

So every concert has a download capability, or only the ones that have both tabs? Where on the page are the tabs? Thanks for the help, by the way.

You access the GD page first by picking audio off the top menu bar which then has a choice for Grateful Dead. Once that brings you to the GD page, you'll see right near the top two links, one for downloadable shows and one for stream only shows.

That takes you to the list of shows which you can sort several ways from the GD page. For some reason sometimes the show you select after picking downloadable shows is still a stream only. That's ok, because where it lists the date of the show near the top, there is a link that says "check for other copies". If you click that you can open another file of the same show to see if it is one with download options. Not all shows will have the regular mp3 download option, some will have vbr as the first choice which is realty just a higher quality level of mp3 but works the same way.

It all sound a bit confusing at first but after doing it a few times its quite simple. I'll be glad to answer any other questions as I think the archive or any other site offering free live music with the consent of the bands is a great thing and I can't thank them enough.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.