The Fun Facts thread

The actor Jon Cazale was only in 5 movies in his short career:

The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, and The Deer Hunter.

All were nominated for Best Picture

Fun Fact: The Charmin commercials with the bears kind of creep me out.

As do the Pepto-Bismol commercials singing about diarrhea. 

Maybe I'm too anal.

You can almost perfectly convert miles into km by using the fibonacci sequence:

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 ....

3 miles = 2+3 = 5 km

21 miles = 21 + 13 = 34 km

etc

dave said:

You can almost perfectly convert miles into km by using the fibonacci sequence:

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 ....

3 miles = 2+3 = 5 km

21 miles = 21 + 13 = 34 km

etc

That’s really helpful, thank you! Let’s hope I remember it when I need it cheese

boy that Fibonacci fella was smart to have figured that out.

jersey_boy said:

"I Will Always Love You" was a remake.

For a minute, I thought you were saying that Dolly covered it but then I remembered that dreadful cover by that other lady.  God Awful!

drummerboy said:

Fun Fact: The Charmin commercials with the bears kind of creep me out.

As do the Pepto-Bismol commercials singing about diarrhea. 

Maybe I'm too anal.

I see what you did there.

Fun fact: today is the birthday of Mickey Mouse.

Fun fact: according to JK Rowling, Moaning Myrtle's full name is Myrtle Elizabeth Warren and she was a Ravenclaw.

Cows with names make more milk

Research suggests gentle way to get more milk from anxious mama-cow

Compared to their nameless peers, heifers with individual identities produce an average of 258 more liters of milk over a 10-month milking season, or about an extra liter a day, a new study has found. An average cow produces about 7,500 liters of milk each year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29036460/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/cows-names-make-more-milk/#.XdQjW1dKiHs

jamie said:

Cows with names make more milk

Research suggests gentle way to get more milk from anxious mama-cow

Compared to their nameless peers, heifers with individual identities produce an average of 258 more liters of milk over a 10-month milking season, or about an extra liter a day, a new study has found. An average cow produces about 7,500 liters of milk each year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29036460/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/cows-names-make-more-milk/#.XdQjW1dKiHs

Maybe the cows with names can sense there's a 'different' relationship between them and the farmer, and know they're less likely to get eaten...

mrincredible said:

Fun fact: according to JK Rowling, Moaning Myrtle's full name is Myrtle Elizabeth Warren and she was a Ravenclaw.

Fun fact:  JK Rowling was said to have been inspired by Livaria Lello, a bookstore in Porto, Portugal when imagining what Hogwarts would look like.

This Bookshop's Design Is So Stunning, It’s Rumored To Have Inspired J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Locations

(A) The South Pole is 900 feet above sea level, and (2) my wife & daughter are on their way to Antarctica, to walk amongst the penguins!

BTW: The following advice should be passed on by every parent to every child...

-s.

The first trick shot in movie history was accomplished in 1895. Alfred Clark filmed a scene of the beheading of Mary Queen of Scots using the technique of having the cast freeze in place and replacing a live actor with a dummy to behead.

Fun fact: peanuts are not true nuts, they are members of the legume family!

So Mr Peanut and Mr Bean are relatives.

Fun fact "alimentary canal" ends in "anal".

mrincredible said:

Fun fact "alimentary canal" ends in "anal".

Right after it reaches “can.” 

Fun fact: on this day in 1973, the White House lifted its ban on women wearing pants. This was during the energy crisis and temperatures were kept lower in the building. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/11/26/archives/white-house-lifts-ban-on-women-in-pants.html

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure the White House never banned men wearing dresses.

mrincredible said:

That's a Fun Conjecture. Different thread.

Hey don't Funsplain me!  surprised

There is a theory that the character of Outspan Foster, the guitarist in the film The Commitments is the same as the lead character in Once, fifteen years later. Both characters are played by the same actor, Glen Hansard.  In Once, the character's name is never mentioned, and when the film opens, he is busking on Grafton Street in Dublin. When we last saw Outspan at the end of The Commitments, he was busking on Grafton Street. 

It’s only a theory, but it’s a fun fact that the theory exists, is it?

I’ll buy that.

DaveSchmidt said:

It’s only a theory, but it’s a fun fact that the theory exists, is it?

I’ll buy that.

indeed. 

I also need to go back and edit that post to add some very important info I left out.

Ed Figueroa was a major leaguer with all the vowels in his last name.

Aurelio Rodriguez had them all in his first name.

Richie Ashburn (whose full name qualified the first time he was given a standing o) remarked that if there were a ballplayer named Aurelio Figueroa then you’d really have something.

mrincredible said:

They had to accommodate J. Edgar Hoover.

ml1 said:

There is a theory that the character of Outspan Foster, the guitarist in the film The Commitments is the same as the lead character in Once, fifteen years later. Both characters are played by the same actor, Glen Hansard.  In Once, the character's name is never mentioned, and when the film opens, he is busking on Grafton Street in Dublin. When we last saw Outspan at the end of The Commitments, he was busking on Grafton Street. 

I didn't realize even realize Hansard was in both movies but note that that the director of Once also directed Sing Street, which we recently streamed. In the same ball park as Once and The Commitments.  Takes place in early 80s Dublin.  The main character is a teen who, because of his families financial problems, has to transfer to a shabby rough Catholic school but that leads to his formation of a new wave band.  Lots of music.  Not too heavy but it's earthy and funny.

Is Sing Street the one about the formation of The Undertones?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!