Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

mtierney said:

Washington gets archbishop....
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/archbishop-wilton-gregory-asked-to-lead-washington-archdiocese-41260

Archbishop of Washington usually gets a red hat, so he'd be our country's first African American cardinal.

basil said:
Jesus said (Matthew 25:40-46):
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me",
and to make it even more clear, just in case we misunderstood the first time,
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
America, on the other hand, is putting them in concentration camps.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/us/el-paso-immigration-photo.html

Jesus was only talking about people from his own country:   ‘Murica. And even then only the whites.   

Red_Barchetta said:
 Jesus was only talking about people from his own country:   ‘Murica. And even then only the whites.   

He was way ahead of you, he had a story about that too. Luke 10:25-37, The Parable of the Good Mexican (sorry, Samaritan)

basil said:

He was way ahead of you, he had a story about that too. Luke 10:25-37

Basil, you can quote the Bible all day but I don't think there is any way that you are going to get Mtierney to convert to Christianity. 

Red_Barchetta said:

basil said:
Jesus said (Matthew 25:40-46):
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me",
and to make it even more clear, just in case we misunderstood the first time,
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
America, on the other hand, is putting them in concentration camps.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/us/el-paso-immigration-photo.html

Correct.

Jesus, as depicted in many medieval and come contemporary portraits, was talking about people like him. Blue eyed, blond and white. Those other people don't count.

ps - I wasn't making a funny. I know there are those who believe this.

mtierney said:
Good news.....
The Pope in Morocco
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-francis-in-morocco-let-the-culture-of-mercy-grow-16875

And what else is Pope Francis saying in Morocco:

Francis told the king that he hoped Morocco would continue to be a model of humanity, welcome and protection for migrants.

The issue of migration will never be resolved by raising barriers, fomenting fear of others or denying assistance to those who legitimately aspire to a better life for themselves and their families,” Francis said.

nohero said:

And what else is Pope Francis saying in Morocco:

Francis told the king that he hoped Morocco would continue to be a model of humanity, welcome and protection for migrants.

The issue of migration will never be resolved by raising barriers, fomenting fear of others or denying assistance to those who legitimately aspire to a better life for themselves and their families,” Francis said.

Like I said, anyone trying to convert mtieney to Christianity is in for some disappointment.  Her heart is so full of Fulton Sheen that there is no room for Pope Francis or Jesus Christ.

I don't know much about Fulton Sheen, what is the big deal with him?

I don't know. What I do know is they're fighting on who gets to keep him:

.- A New York appeals court has unanimously ruled that the earthly remains of Venerable Fulton Sheen should be moved to Peoria, Illinois – a ruling that could pave the way for the archbishop’s beatification unless there is another appeal.

A statement from the Diocese of Peoria on Tuesday welcomed the decision and called on the Archdiocese of New York “to end their failed legal contestation, which has only resulted in three rulings against them.”
Joe Zwilling, spokesman for the Archdiocese of New York, said the Trustees of St. Patrick’s Cathedral disagree with the court decision and are considering their next steps, the Peoria Journal Star reported.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/appeals-court-says-fulton-sheens-body-should-go-to-peoria-71875

Which is weird. One would assume that a tiff between dioceses should be resolved by the Vatican.

Well, he must be quit something then.

So what wonderful things did he accomplish while alive?

If he's being beatified/canonised, then aren't they also miracles accomplished after his death and in his name? Or do I have that wrong?

mtierney said:
how to conduct a press conference...
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/full-text-of-pope-francis-in-flight-press-conference-from-rabat-24970

Excerpt:

Cristina Cabrejas, EFE: Good evening, Pope Francis. I will ask the question in Italian. In yesterday's speech to the authorities, you said that the migration phenomenon is not resolved with physical barriers, but here in Morocco, Spain has built two barriers with sharp blades to cut those who want to overcome it. You met some of them in a few meetings and President Trump these days said he wants to completely close the borders and suspend aid to three Central American countries.

Pope Francis: First of all, what I said a moment ago, the builders of walls, whether made of barbed wire that cuts with knives or bricks, will become prisoners of the walls they make. First. History will show this.  

I found these comments very on point in this era of conviction by accusation...

“But something else is concerning to me: the regression of us Christians when we take away freedom of conscience. Think of the Christian doctors and hospital institutions that do not have the right of conscientious objection, for example, for euthanasia. How? The Church has moved on and you Christian countries go backwards? Think of this because it is a truth. Today, we Christians have the danger that some governments will take away our freedom of conscience, which is the first step toward freedom of worship. The response isn’t easy. But, let’s not accuse Muslims. Let’s accuse ourselves also in these countries where this happens. It is a shame.

“Then, on Cardinal Barbarin. He, a man of the Church, has submitted his resignation, but morally I cannot accept it because juridically, but also in the classic global jurisprudence, there is a presumption of innocence during the time the cause is open. He made an appeal and the cause is still open. Then, when the second tribunal gives its verdict, we’ll see what happens. But, he always is to have the presumption of innocence. This is important because it goes against the superficial media condemnation. What does the global jurisprudence say? “He did this.” But look, what does the judge say, what does the global jurisprudence say? That if a case is open, there is the presumption of innocence. Maybe he is not innocent, but there is the presumption.“

I believe that once someone has been found guilty (in this case by a French court, of covering up child abuse), the presumption of innocence no longer applies, as he has been convicted.  If the conviction is overturned and a new trial is ordered, then perhaps the presumption will return, but it does not operate during the appeal process, as I understand it, at least in this country.

mtierney said:
I found these comments very on point in this era of conviction by accusation...

“Then, on Cardinal Barbarin. He, a man of the Church, has submitted his resignation, but morally I cannot accept it because juridically, but also in the classic global jurisprudence, there is a presumption of innocence during the time the cause is open. He made an appeal and the cause is still open. Then, when the second tribunal gives its verdict, we’ll see what happens. But, he always is to have the presumption of innocence. This is important because it goes against the superficial media condemnation. What does the global jurisprudence say? “He did this.” But look, what does the judge say, what does the global jurisprudence say? That if a case is open, there is the presumption of innocence. Maybe he is not innocent, but there is the presumption.“

The Cardinal was, indeed, found guilty in a court of law.  In any case, the legal issues around the case did not relate to the Cardinal's guilt, which was well documented, but rather the statute of limitations, that old ally of pedophile priests and those who worked to enable them.

https://youtu.be/FmMBLTz6Pp8

Stay with it until he gets to his explanation of statistics!

That is a freaky looking video.  It looks like it was transmitted from an alien planet where it was filmed in a viscous fluid.  Trippy!

back on the day —way back, TV was live. Fortunately, there was kinescope, a early recording system that saved so many original television shows and programming. The “golden age of television”

And the shows were in black and white! Freaky is not the word I would go with.

mtierney said:
back on the day —way back, TV was live. Fortunately, there was kinescope, a early recording system that saved so many original television shows and programming. The “golden age of television”
And the shows were in black and white! Freaky is not the word I would go with.

I am old enough to be familiar with black and white.  That wasn't what I was talking about.  The lighting is way off and the angles are really strange. Everything is in too sharp of relief.  Its religious programming as envisioned by someone who's religion included peyote.

Freaky!

Another challenge facing Pope Francis and Catholics (especially in the USA):

The U.S. has become the epicenter of anti-Pope Francis right-wing dissent. Some of this comes from mainstream Republicans who are opposed to Francis’ social justice agenda. Some of it mirrors the anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim populism that is surging around the West. Some of it comes not from polarization, but partisanship, and a greater commitment to Donald Trump than to the pope. Finally, some opposition comes from opponents of Vatican II, who reject much of the last 125 years of Church teaching, including its affirmation of universal human rights and commitment to genuine participation in government, instead favoring integralism, monarchism, anti-democratic paleoconservatism, or another traditionalist ideology.

These alt-Catholic individuals who claim to be orthodox and more Catholic than the pope, despite publicly dissenting from clear Church teaching, have used social media (including troll armies filled with anonymous accounts) and the Catholic press to magnify their favorite narratives and conspiracy theories, despite the small number of U.S. Catholics (and miniscule number of global Catholics) who embrace this approach. Even the mainstream Catholic media, prone to an “all sides matter” mentality and blinded by the distorted reality of the Catholic social media bubble, has confused social media popularity with real world support and magnified their influence.

So as the Church faces the problem of overcoming the big divide in American Catholicism between conservatives and liberals, it must now also contend with a small group of militant, pope-hating far right dissenters that distort and damage the U.S. Church on a daily basis.

Link: The Roots of American Catholic Polarization

from the link above:

“These alt-Catholic individuals who claim to be orthodox and more Catholic than the pope, despite publicly dissenting from clear Church teaching, have used social media (including troll armies filled with anonymous accounts) and the Catholic press to magnify their favorite narratives and conspiracy theories, despite the small number of U.S. Catholics (and miniscule number of global Catholics) who embrace this approach. Even the mainstream Catholic media, prone to an “all sides matter” mentality and blinded by the distorted reality of the Catholic social media bubble, has confused social media popularity with real world support and magnified their influence.”

Example: MOL is social media. Maplewood and South Orange are in an economic bubble. Hate on this board is evident on a daily basis. I am not referring to a difference of opinion or political persuasion, but direct personal attack for disrupting the choir.

Globally, rich or poor, black or white, the possession of a smart phone and an internet connection give individuals power and influence platforms unimagined twenty years ago. How all this will play out is unknown. The horse is long out of the gate,

mtierney said:
from the link above:
“These alt-Catholic individuals who claim to be orthodox and more Catholic than the pope, despite publicly dissenting from clear Church teaching, have used social media (including troll armies filled with anonymous accounts) and the Catholic press to magnify their favorite narratives and conspiracy theories, despite the small number of U.S. Catholics (and miniscule number of global Catholics) who embrace this approach. Even the mainstream Catholic media, prone to an “all sides matter” mentality and blinded by the distorted reality of the Catholic social media bubble, has confused social media popularity with real world support and magnified their influence.”

Example: MOL is social media. Maplewood and South Orange are in an economic bubble. Hate on this board is evident on a daily basis. I am not referring to a difference of opinion or political persuasion, but direct personal attack for disrupting the choir.

Nothing to do with my post, or its very on-topic point.

mtierney said:
on topic— David Brooks...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/opinion/rebuilding-norms-trump.html

This is standard Brooks.  Faux cultural criticism.  Perhaps a little more lacking in self-awareness than usual.

mtierney said:

I am fascinated by the idea that you view yourself as a victim of hate, as opposed to a perpetrator.  I think this is a common delusion amongst members of  right wing hate groups. A cult of victimhood.

Nothing like some fiddle music for a fire.

He's become a sad joke. They should lock him up before he again embarrasses himself and the Church.

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Former Pope Benedict has blamed the Catholic Church’s sexual abuse scandal on the effects of the sexual revolution of the 1960s and a general collapse in morality.

The sexual revolution made priests into pedophiles? Really?

The collapse in morality? Has he admitted there is a general lack of morality in the priesthood? That's what his statement implies. In this case I agree, not on the general collapse of morality but in the lack of morality in the priesthood.

Sexual revolution of 1960s led to Church abuse crisis ex-pope says

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.