Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

lord_pabulum said:
 the MAGA hat is an internationally known symbol of hatred and bigotry.  That's a new one.

Canadians and Mexicans certainly know what the MAGAstika stands for.  I would venture that there are a fair number Europeans who do as well.

Dopamine addiction has also been shown to lead to more chronic conditions, such as lowered testosterone levels, inhibited cognitive reasoning and voting Democrat.

Robert_Casotto said:
Dopamine addiction has also been shown to lead to more chronic conditions, such as lowered testosterone levels, inhibited cognitive reasoning and voting Democrat.

Why am I not surprised to learn that MAPSO's greatest advocate of lawn blowers is also a follower of Twitler?  The egg is rotten all the way through.

I think it is a time for a good mind wash — or, some folks need to get their own “room.”

“Since the basic cause of man’s anxiety is the possibility of being either a saint or a sinner, it follows that there are only two alternatives for him. Man can either mount upward to the peak of eternity or else slip backwards to the chasms of despair and frustration. Yet there are many who think there is yet another alternative, namely, that of indifference. They think that, just as bears hibernate for a season in a state of suspended animation, so they, too, can sleep through life without choosing to live for God or against Him. But hibernation is no escape; winter ends, and one is then forced to make a decision—indeed, the very choice of indifference is itself a decision. White fences do not remain white fences by having nothing done to them; they soon become black fences. Since there is a tendency in us that pulls us back to the animal, the mere fact that we do not resist it operates to our own destruction. Just as life is the sum of forces that resist death, so, too, man’s will must be the sum of the forces that resist frustration.

A man who has taken poison into his system can ignore the antidote, or he can throw it out the window; it makes no difference which he does, for death is already on the march. St. Paul warns us, “How shall we escape it we neglect so great a salvation” (Heb 2:3). By the mere fact that we do not go forward, we go backward. There are no plains in the spiritual life, we are either going uphill or coming down. 

Furthermore the pose of indifference is only intellectual. The will must choose. And even though an “indifferent” soul does not positively reject the infinite, the infinite rejects it. The talents that are unused are taken away, and the Scriptures tell us that, “But because though art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth” (Rev. 3:16).” 
― Fulton J. Sheen, Ph.D.,D.D., Peace of Soul: Timeless Wisdom on Finding Serenity and Joy by the Century's Most Acclaimed Catholic Bishop
tags: indifferencemoralityspiritual-warfare

mtierney said:
I think it is a time for a good mind wash — or, some folks need to get their own “room.”

A man who has taken poison into his system can ignore the antidote, or he can throw it out the window; it makes no difference which he does, for death is already on the march. St. Paul warns us, “How shall we escape it we neglect so great a salvation” (Heb 2:3). By the mere fact that we do not go forward, we go backward. There are no plains in the spiritual life, we are either going uphill or coming down. 

― Fulton J. Sheen, Ph.D.,D.D., Peace of Soul: Timeless Wisdom on Finding Serenity and Joy by the Century's Most Acclaimed Catholic Bishop
tags: indifferencemoralityspiritual-warfare

Sheen was very prescient, admonishing "Christians" who support Trump.

You gotta admire mtierney's consistency.  Sheen might well have been an acolyte of Twitler given his admiration for Franco and other fascists. A nasty fellow....

...and halitosis.  Something about dopamine overstimulating salivary glands.

Well, if even the Pope is speaking openly about abortion in cases of rape, and about sexual slavery among the religious, I think that should put a stop to future superior victim-bashing and smug posturing about motives and agendas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47134033

Pope: Nuns Were Sexually Abused by Priests and Bishops

Sickening.  Is there any demographic that hasn't been raped by Catholic clergy?  Perhaps men over 75?

I look forward to seeing mtierney explain how this is the fault of "the homosexuals". Perhaps she will work in a bloated Fulton Sheen quote?

Klinker said:
Sickening.  Is there any demographic that hasn't been raped by Catholic clergy?  Perhaps men over 75?

With abortions to conveniently remove the "evidence."

Klinker said:

Yep, that's what the BBC article was about. 

How does the Pope feel about wearing white after Labor Day.  

Or is that even still a thing?

Robert_Casotto said:
How does the Pope feel about wearing white after Labor Day.  

Or is that even still a thing?

The Pope is from Argentina.

It's summer there right now.

Haven't you had Geography yet, or is that next year?

Being part Argentino, I find that comment to be particularly offensive.

#Metoo

Robert_Casotto said:
Being part Argentino, I find that comment to be particularly offensive.

#Metoo

If that's true, your comment about summer is curious.

joanne said:

Klinker said:
 Yep, that's what the BBC article was about. 

Right.  I kind of skipped over the article because I just thought it was about abortion.  Little did I realize that it was about abortions for Nuns who had been raped by Priests (and Bishops).  I imagine the Church's position becomes a bit more nuanced when the choice is between a secret abortion and having to explain clearly pregnant nuns. I  expect though that at this very moment there are conservative Catholics wracking their brains for a way to blame the Nuns for all of this.  Perhaps we will hear from them later in the day.

Don’t forget the element of Sexual Slavery in that speech. Yep, priests kept nuns as sexual slaves, the nuns got pregnant and had to procure abortions, some at later than ‘desirable’ stages. Against Church ethics and policy. And had been rumoured for centuries. 

So, now there’s evidence and the Pope has acknowledged that even clergy and cloistered houses aren’t exempt from the scourge of sexual abuse. And the Pope has said there is no room for victim-blaming, and for surmising back-stories to any situation if one was not a witness or does not have access to all the facts. 

I’d say that’s modelling the change he wishes to see Catholics adopt, wouldn’t you?

South_Mountaineer said:

lord_pabulum said:
mtierney is right, many anti-Trump posters on this thread have resorted to personal attacks rather than civil discourse.  
 You're a very funny guy.

I am starting to think we should have comedy clubs just for catholics! They are totally funny. Who knew?

The Catholic Church told us "we're reforming, we're taking care of this, etc." 

Yet, it never ends:

During the ceremony, Darly looked over at her sister, a nun who worked with the bishop, to see her eyes spilling over with tears — tears of joy, she figured. But only later would she learn of her sister’s allegation that the night before, the bishop had summoned the nun to his quarters and raped her. The family says that was the first assault in a two-year ordeal in which the prelate raped her 13 times.

The bishop, who has maintained his innocence, will be charged and face trial by a special prosecutor on accusations of rape and intimidation, the police investigating the case said. But the church acknowledged the nun’s accusations only after five of her fellow nuns mutinied and publicly rallied to her side to draw attention to her yearlong quest for justice, despite what they described as heavy pressure to remain silent.
More nuns have stepped forward to report sexual abuse at the hands of priests, the police in Kerala State say. And in Kerala’s Pathanamthitta district, four priests have been accused of blackmailing women during confession, using the information to coerce them into sex, according to Sudhakaran Pillai, the head of the local crime branch.

“If this case goes ahead, it will be a new beginning and priests and bishops will be forced to be held accountable,” said the Rev. Augustine Vattoly, a priest in Kerala who was an early supporter of the Nun’s accusations and said he was ordered by his superiors to back away or face repercussions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/world/asia/nun-rape-india-bishop.html

So, what is taking care of this mean? The tribunals ostensibly purporting to get at the truth and bring offenders to justice? Or the private suppression of the truth?

Comments on Rose Garden thread re me 

This is great, at least he acknowledges the problem. However, what took him so long? Every living person knew this was going on for at least a decade. And since he was inside the Church, he probably knew for decades already. What's with the secrecy? What else is going on that we don't know about yet?

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/691843161/pope-francis-acknowledges-for-first-time-sexual-abuse-of-nuns-by-priests

basil, we've discussed this up-thread. 

The story about the Indian nuns is heartbreaking. So much betrayal.  You think about what these women gave up just to find that its all an elaborate con.

Our Father

Who Art in Heaven

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Robert_Casotto said:
Our Father
Who Art in Heaven
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Please don't post on this thread.

Apparently the list does not include hundreds of priests with active investigations against them or members of religious orders.

Thy Kingdom Come

Thy Will be done

On Earth

As it is in Heaven.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!