Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Nathan Phillips is, technically speaking I suppose, a "vet" because he was in the Marine Corps Reserve for four years during the 1970's.  However, he did not serve in Viet Nam. He was assigned first to the infantry and later as a refrigeration technician/mechanic, both stateside appointments apparently served in California.  He left the Reserves in 1976 with the rank of private.  His lack of promotion, despite spending four year in the Reserves, may be attributable to being cited as AWOL on three occasions.  Although he has been accused of falsely claiming to have served in Viet Nam on prior occasions, he denies ever making any such claim. Rather, he contends he may have said he served in the military during the "Viet Nam" era and others misconstrued his words.  Regardless, not sure whether the fact he is a vet or not is a pertinent factor in this matter.  .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/01/23/nathan-phillips-man-standoff-with-covington-teens-faces-scrutiny-his-military-past/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b4941f58d2cd 

I believe he has said that he was a Vietnam Era veteran which is true since his time in the service was during the time of active hostilities in Vietnam but after the time of involvement on the part of American ground forces.

Whatever the case, there is no doubt that he served a greater time and with more honor than the unindicted traitor in the White House.

mtierney said:
FYI: the Native American drummer — who had been described as a Vietnam veteran in the coverage of the Right to Life March brouhaha — turns out that he is not a vet. He was described as such many times but it was not, he, who corrected the record.

Supporting the two other respondents, it’s interesting to read Snopes on this matter:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nathan-phillips-vietnam-veteran/

mtierney said:

Press eats crow —- nah, the initial scenario was just too delish not to indulge. The Press has to write the story to fit expectations, so no mea culpa necessary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/opinion/covington-teenagers-twitter.html

This must have slipped your attention so I figured I would post it here.   It’s important to know that this statement was released Wednesday night, so the Bishop had the benefit of knowing all of the students’ family’s frantic PR firm misdirection efforts

“Without engaging the discussion about the context of the viral video or placing the blame entirely on these adolescents, it astonishes me that any students participating in a pro-life activity on behalf of their school and their Catholic faith could be wearing apparel sporting the slogans of a president who denigrates the lives of immigrants, refugees and people from countries that he describes with indecent words and haphazardly endangers with life-threatening policies.”

Bishop John Stowe in the Lexington Herald-Leader

Please remind me:  is a Bishop an important person in the Catholic Church?

what is “pertinent “ is the fact the media used the false statement (no fact checking) because it got the story as they wished it to be.

Could this be an example of fake news?

A rush to judgment?

Red_Barchetta said:

mtierney said:

Press eats crow —- nah, the initial scenario was just too delish not to indulge. The Press has to write the story to fit expectations, so no mea culpa necessary.

This must have slipped your attention so I figured I would post it here.   It’s important to know that this statement was released Wednesday night, so the Bishop had the benefit of knowing all of the students’ family’s frantic PR firm misdirection efforts

“Without engaging the discussion about the context of the viral video or placing the blame entirely on these adolescents, it astonishes me that any students participating in a pro-life activity on behalf of their school and their Catholic faith could be wearing apparel sporting the slogans of a president who denigrates the lives of immigrants, refugees and people from countries that he describes with indecent words and haphazardly endangers with life-threatening policies.”

mtierney said:
what is “pertinent “ is the fact the media used the false statement (no fact checking) because it got the story as they wished it to be.

A rush to judgment?

I think that Bishop Stowe's statement is VERY pertinent. I'd be surprised if any Catholic didn't think so....

Norman_Bates said:
Nathan Phillips is, technically speaking I suppose, a "vet" because he was in the Marine Corps Reserve for four years during the 1970's.  However, he did not serve in Viet Nam. He was assigned first to the infantry and later as a refrigeration technician/mechanic, both stateside appointments apparently served in California.  He left the Reserves in 1976 with the rank of private.  His lack of promotion, despite spending four year in the Reserves, may be attributable to being cited as AWOL on three occasions.  Although he has been accused of falsely claiming to have served in Viet Nam on prior occasions, he denies ever making any such claim. Rather, he contends he may have said he served in the military during the "Viet Nam" era and others misconstrued his words.  Regardless, not sure whether the fact he is a vet or not is a pertinent factor in this matter.  .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/01/23/nathan-phillips-man-standoff-with-covington-teens-faces-scrutiny-his-military-past/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b4941f58d2cd 

Source of the word “pertinent” to which I responded

finnegan said:

Red_Barchetta said:

mtierney said:

mtierney said:

A rush to judgment?
 I think that Bishop Stowe's statement is VERY pertinent. I'd be surprised if any Catholic didn't think so....

Nice try to deflect, Finnegan. The press took off with the Vietnam veteran detail because it fit the news profile for the day. They had all the usual suspects in one place: young Catholic boys wearing red MAGA hats at a Right To Life March; a group of Black Israelites, and a Native American, being assigned Vietnam veteran status.

A reporter’s dream story! Stir and mix! Still cranky over Kavanagh, the media aimed at the Covington Catholic school privileged youth angle. Pretty much giving the Israelites a passing reference. And they had a hero to boot! 

BTW, I chaponered a few trips when my children were involved. Biggest parent fear is losing sight of one of the kids in a crowd. Red hats were an easy solution.

mtierney said:

BTW, I chaponered a few trips when my children were involved. Biggest parent fear is losing sight of one of the kids in a crowd. Red hats were an easy solution.

I know exactly what you mean.  When I used to chaperone trips, I had the kids wear swastika armbands.  Never had any problem keeping track of the kids.

The kids were wearing Magastikas.  End of story.  The Bishop seems to get this, one wonders why mtierney can't.  Perhaps the greatest challenge facing Pope Francis and the Catholic Church will be convincing self described Catholics to show even a basic awareness of the teachings of Christ.

tjohn said:

mtierney said:

I know exactly what you mean.  When I used to chaperone trips, I had the kids wear swastika armbands.  Never had any problem keeping track of the kids.

Sometimes a hat is just a hat, not a political attack. Now, those pink pussy cat knitted  hats were a statement hard to ignore. They were worn to promote the wearers POV. Including, some might suggest, abortion on demand — up to nine months! New York gave the nod to that ghastly procedure just this week!

Covington Catholic is located in a long time Republican,  and Catholic district. If it was considered fascist to show love of country in front of the Lincoln Memorial and, at the same time, show prolife support, I think Freedom of religion is threatened big time here, in the land of the free and the home of the brave...

Mtierney,

You do need to understand that a MAGA hat is not a neutral item.  And tell me, when did America stop being great?  When we gave women  the vote? Brown vs. BOE?  Voting rights act?  Tell, when did we start to fail.

And do understand that late term abortions just aren't done without good reason such as the health of the mother.  Jeez.  Talk about fake news.

And your freedom of religion is not threatened until I walk into your church and shut it down.  It isn't infringing upon your freedom of religion when I tell you that you can't impose your christianist views on others.

mtierney said:
 Sometimes a hat is just a hat, not a political attack. 

And sometimes not. 

In this case, the MAGA hat is an internationally known symbol of hatred and bigotry. To wear a MAGAstika is to express your support for a regime that puts children in cages, a regime celebrates white supremacists, a regime who's very foundation is built on treason and collusion with America's enemies as todays indictment of Trump's right hand man Stone so richly illustrates.

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

mtierney said:

Sometimes a hat is just a hat, not a political attack. Now, those pink pussy cat knitted  hats were a statement hard to ignore. They were worn to promote the wearers POV. Including, some might suggest, abortion on demand — up to nine months! New York gave the nod to that ghastly procedure just this week!
Covington Catholic is located in a long time Republican,  and Catholic district. If it was considered fascist to show love of country in front of the Lincoln Memorial and, at the same time, show prolife support, I think Freedom of religion is threatened big time here, in the land of the free and the home of the brave...

There is something seriously wrong with you.  

the MAGA hat is an internationally known symbol of hatred and bigotry.  That's a new one.

Who am I? I am your ever needy Luddite and you are always there for me.

I am also the mother of three children, adopted during their first week of life, and, since God has a sense of humor, the birth mother of a fourth child. 

I have participated on MOL since 2001 or thereabouts, using another name.

I have been the recipient of much kindness and support, most especially following the deaths of a son in 2014 and my husband of 63+ years last June. And I have been grateful for my virtual family‘s support.

However, because I am a lifelong Catholic conservative, and Right to Life advocate, I have been vilified, called evil, a terrorist, a Nazi, ignorant (one stalker/poster’s words are scary crazy) and have become a piñata for liberal battering. Virtual strong armed tactics pass for discussion.

What has become of civil discourse? When a newly minted congresswoman utters a profanity at the solemn occasion of her swearing-in ceremony —while the world watched— was disgraceful and coarse. She had the “right” to curse; I have the same right to criticize .

"What has become of civil discourse? When a newly minted congresswoman utters a profanity at the solemn occasion of her swearing-in ceremony —while the world watched— was disgraceful and coarse. She had the “right” to curse; I have the same right to criticize ."

The irony is delightful.

I suppose above all, my problem is that you are cursing future generations by supporting a climate change denying president.  Climate change is going to be bad.  People like Trump - and you, by extension - are making it worse.

lord_pabulum said:
 the MAGA hat is an internationally known symbol of hatred and bigotry.  That's a new one.

They're very well known by the Chinese people who make them.

I’m not ineternationally known.

But I’m known to rock a MAGA-phone.

Meanwhile, the Pope weighs in:

"In apparent shot at Trump, Pope says 'builders of walls' sow fear and divide.  by Rosa Flores, CNN

Updated 1:30 PM ET, Fri January 25, 2019

Panama City, Panama (CNN)Pope Francis has taken another shot at wall-building politicians, telling thousands of Catholics in Panama gathered for World Youth Day that "builders of walls sow fear" and "divide people."  "We know that the father of lies, the devil, prefers a community divided and bickering," Francis told a crowd of tens of thousands of youth Thursday night at a seaside park in Panama City.  "This is the criteria to divide people: The builders of bridges and the builders of walls, those builders of walls sow fear and look to divide people. What do you want to be?"  When the crowd replied "builders of bridges," Francis replied, "You learned well. I like that."

The Pope's remarks seemed to be a clear reference to President Donald Trump's proposal to build a wall along the US-Mexico border. Trump's demand for $5.7 billion for the wall has led to a partial government shutdown for 34 days and counting.  On Wednesday, after Trump tweeted a new slogan, "Build a wall and crime will fall," a journalist on the papal plane asked Pope Francis about Trump's proposal. The Pope said such measures are driven by fear. "It is the fear that makes us crazy."
It wasn't the first time Trump and Francis have tussled over the proposed border wall.  "A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian," Francis said in 2016. "This is not the gospel."  Trump immediately fired back, calling Francis' comments "disgraceful."  "No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man's religion or faith," he said in a statement."

Christianity is first and foremost about loving others.  Everything else is a distant second.  I will continue to challenge those who describe themselves as Christian but whose words and deeds oppose this most simple concept.  These are the people who are 'crucifying Christ all over again'.  

Jasmo said:
Meanwhile, the Pope weighs in:
"In apparent shot at Trump, Pope says 'builders of walls' sow fear and divide.  by Rosa Flores, CNN
Updated 1:30 PM ET, Fri January 25, 2019
Panama City, Panama (CNN)Pope Francis has taken another shot at wall-building politicians, telling thousands of Catholics in Panama gathered for World Youth Day that "builders of walls sow fear" and "divide people."  "We know that the father of lies, the devil, prefers a community divided and bickering," Francis told a crowd of tens of thousands of youth Thursday night at a seaside park in Panama City.  "This is the criteria to divide people: The builders of bridges and the builders of walls, those builders of walls sow fear and look to divide people. What do you want to be?"  When the crowd replied "builders of bridges," Francis replied, "You learned well. I like that."
The Pope's remarks seemed to be a clear reference to President Donald Trump's proposal to build a wall along the US-Mexico border. Trump's demand for $5.7 billion for the wall has led to a partial government shutdown for 34 days and counting.  On Wednesday, after Trump tweeted a new slogan, "Build a wall and crime will fall," a journalist on the papal plane asked Pope Francis about Trump's proposal. The Pope said such measures are driven by fear. "It is the fear that makes us crazy."
It wasn't the first time Trump and Francis have tussled over the proposed border wall.  "A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian," Francis said in 2016. "This is not the gospel."  Trump immediately fired back, calling Francis' comments "disgraceful."  "No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man's religion or faith," he said in a statement."

When the Pope speaks about pro abortion issues, he is just as compassionate in his statements protecting life for unwanted babies in the womb. He and pro life advocates are then vilified for their beliefs. It is a very complicated issue to adjudicate from a pure humanitarian perspective just how a government should/must act.

The Pope advises purity and patience to a society caught up in instant gratification and greed. He envisions, and prays for a better world for us all.

America is great because of immigration. But, there must be a legal process in place. Central American governments need to recognize their responsibilities toward their own disaffected citizens. 

Both Democrats and Republicans want border protection and if they had any respect for POTUS, like him or not, they would put aside polishing their own  images and setting their presidential campaign goals and work out a compromise for protecting our boarders. America is a sovereign nation and needs to act accordingly.

In honor of fair and balanced reporting, Trump's Response to the Pope's Criticism of the Wall:

WASHINGTON D.C., January 3, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – U.S. President Donald Trump responded to criticisms over the morality of building a wall along the southwest U.S. border, saying that the Pope has one too to protect his country. “When they say the wall’s immoral, well then you got to do something about the Vatican, because the Vatican has the biggest wall of them all,” Trump told the press at a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday. "Look at all of the countries that have walls, and they work 100 percent,” Trump added. "It’s never going to change. A wall is a wall.”

The barriers around the Vatican City State date to the time of Pope Leo IV (847–855) to offer protection from Muslim marauders. They were later reinforced as fortifications that were built under Popes Paul III (1534–1549), Pius IV (1559–1565), and Urban VIII (1623–1644). The walls mark the legal boundaries of the Vatican, separating it from Italy. Admission to Vatican City is through St. Peter’s Square, where Vatican City police control entry to the sovereign territory.

mtierney said:
Who am I? I am your ever needy Luddite and you are always there for me.

I am also the mother of three children, adopted during their first week of life, and, since God has a sense of humor, the birth mother of a fourth child. 
I have participated on MOL since 2001 or thereabouts, using another name.
I have been the recipient of much kindness and support, most especially following the deaths of a son in 2014 and my husband of 63+ years last June. And I have been grateful for my virtual family‘s support.
However, because I am a lifelong Catholic conservative, and Right to Life advocate, I have been vilified, called evil, a terrorist, a Nazi, ignorant (one stalker/poster’s words are scary crazy) and have become a piñata for liberal battering. Virtual strong armed tactics pass for discussion.
What has become of civil discourse? When a newly minted congresswoman utters a profanity at the solemn occasion of her swearing-in ceremony —while the world watched— was disgraceful and coarse. She had the “right” to curse; I have the same right to criticize .

A Trump voter complaining about the lack of civil discourse. Who said Catholics aren't funny!

mtierney is right, many anti-Trump posters on this thread have resorted to personal attacks rather than civil discourse.  

LP: Basil and his twin have no off switch — thanks, but take care, or you too will get their uncivil drivel sent in your direction.

https://buff.ly/2DClXA7

These boards were drained of civility long before the excessive triggering of the dopamine centers of the brain were found to inhibit frontal lobe function.  Thankfully, Starbucks bathrooms provide a much needed respite from the illness.

Robert_Casotto said:
These boards were drained of civility long before the excessive triggering of the dopamine centers of the brain were found to inhibit frontal lobe function.  Thankfully, Starbucks bathrooms provide a much needed respite from the illness.

Really?  What date was that when you showed up?

lord_pabulum said:
mtierney is right, many anti-Trump posters on this thread have resorted to personal attacks rather than civil discourse.  

You're a very funny guy.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.