Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

The holidays are over, the trash cans filled, why the let-down?

https://buff.ly/2CJVWOU

cheese Actually, Orthodox Christians are celebrating their Christmas this weekend, I believe.   

Edited to add: nope: it’s on Monday:

“Many Orthodox Christians in the United States celebrate Christmas Day on or near January 7 in the Gregorian calendar. This date works to be December 25 in the Julian calendar, which pre-dates the Gregorian calendar.”

The Pope's view of some challenges facing us:

Pope Francis Appeals to Europe to Show ‘Solidarity’ With Migrants

Pope Francis defended “modern multilateral diplomacy” and international institutions against “the resurgence of nationalistic tendencies” in a major address at the Vatican on Monday.

Francis did not cite specific countries in his speech, delivered to diplomats at the Holy See, but he appeared to be lamenting the mix of jingoism and isolationism that has emerged in the United States and in European nations where populist governments have risen to power.

Noting that the League of Nations, established after World War I, had failed to head off another war largely because countries were not willing to work together, Francis raised the specter of fresh violence.

“The same attitudes are presently threatening the stability of the major international organizations,” he said, urging Europeans in particular to remain united in the face of “temptation to erect new curtains.”

Europe and North America about migrants, but urged sympathy for them, saying governments should help those fleeing poverty, violence and natural disasters.

“I do not believe that partial solutions can exist for so universal an issue,” he said. “Recent events have shown the need for a common, concerted response by all countries, without exception and with respect for every legitimate aspiration, whether of states or of migrants and refugees themselves.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/10/vatican-announces-athletics-team-olympics-italian-olympic-committee

Nice to see the Fit and Healthy approach being endorsed at all ages and sectors of community. I'm just wondering if this places Catholics of other nations in conflict, wondering which team to support during heated competitions? cheese

There have been a lot of conversations on other threads recently on remembrances of Maplewood past —personal revelries— which have sometimes been criticized by posters who are suspicious of what they don’t like or don’t want to learn. Came upon this story this morning in The Jesuit Post and felt it resonated to our discussions.

The Jesuit Post has a review of the film, Roma, which is on Netflix. These comments are from a interview with the director:

“Most of us will never direct a major motion picture based on our lives, not one to be streamed on Netflix, anyway. But when we use our memory, we go from being actors to spectators of the movie of our lives, streamed in our own minds. Dedicating time to reflect on our past experiences helps us to understand where we come from and to inform where we need to go, and what the message of our own lives is.

“Memory is a key element in Ignatian spirituality, which encourages us to know our own story and know it very well. Why? Because our stories are sacred. St. Ignatius of Loyola spoke of a God who is always laboring in our lives. Reliving our past experiences can show us where and how God has been acting. The Examen, a daily prayer exercise with which we review our day by recalling our experiences, our feelings, and our interactions with others, is a practice that makes us more attuned to God’s action, both in our everyday routine and in transformative moments.

“Viewing the movie of our lives through an Ignatian lens enriches our experience. We cease to be the sole spectators of our story, asking for God’s light that we might see our life and our experiences through God’s eyes, the one who is both director and companion. We can look to God with gratitude for the scenes that are joyful and consoling. We can look to God with confidence when reliving those scenes that are sad and trying, trusting that they are stepping stones to a brighter outcome. Everything is infused with meaning. We can even look to God when considering those scenes whose meaning still escapes us, believing that God will grant us the light of understanding. Doing so gives us a better sense of direction of where our story is going next. 

“When asked in an interview about his experience as a director, Cuarón commented on the pressures that the job can have, “It’s an intense experience…The biggest thing is that you know that whatever you do, it’s going to be there forever.” Considering the Oscar buzz it’s already getting, Roma will live on as a memorable film, prompting viewers to remember their own lives and childhood stories. 

Cuarón’s words are a reminder that our stories, too, are forever. Whether we want it or not, they’ll leave an eternal mark on our world. We decide what meaning we want them to have, what message they are to convey. 

“Ignatian spirituality offers us an invitation to reflect daily on our lives and to find God active and laboring with us. And so we find that our stories, from the most mundane to the most dramatic, are charged with meaning for ourselves, for others and for the greater glory of God.”

As I mentioned a few weeks ago Roma was the most depressing movie i have ever seen,but the acting was good. It took place in Mexico,not Rome. It was true to life but had an excessive amount of dog poop which wasn't needed. ( I wasn't going to write that but when I think of the movie that is what I remember.)

I plan to watch Roma tonight — I’ll keep my eye out for dog poop, thanks for the heads up. smile 

basil said:
Good old Catholic school boys spreading God's love in the world: https://www.yahoo.com/news/maga-hatted-teens-harass-native-182138098.html

It's as if when someone puts on a MAGA hat, he thinks he has a license to racist.  

Were the hats autographed, gotta connect those dots... teenage boys and hormones, away from home, etc

Actually, according to this link, boys and men have an identity crisis underway. Explains a lot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/opinion/sunday/toxic-masculinity.html

mtierney said:
Were the hats autographed, gotta connect those dots... teenage boys and hormones, away from home, etc
Actually, according to this link, boys and men have an identity crisis underway. Explains a lot.

Kavanaugh Republicans.  These boys are the face of tomorrow.

Deleted original post.  Apparently there is more to the story than 1st reported.

Klinker said:

mtierney said:
 Kavanaugh Republicans.  These boys are the face of tomorrow.

Kavanaugh is a catholic too? That would certainly explain a lot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/20/us/nathan-phillips-covington.html

The fuller picture — which will never fully erase the harm done in today’s guilty by accusation mentality in social media. 

mtierney said:

The fuller picture — which will never fully erase the harm done in today’s guilty by accusation mentality in social media. 

Situation still not good for the students, and not for their parents. Hope this is a "teachable moment" back home. 

tjohn said:
Deleted original post.  Apparently there is more to the story than 1st reported.

Yes.  In addition to the NY Times story (others already posted) at https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/20/us/nathan-phillips-covington.html a full video (yes, it is an hour long but those who truly want to know what occurred before rendering a verdict on responsibility may wish to view it in its entirety) can be viewed at: 

Viewers can decide for themselves if, or not, the situation was initiated by a group of men who identified themselves as Black Hebrew Israelites calling out anti-gay statements, (repeatedly using the F*****t word and the D**e word to disparage gays and lesbians), statements mocking the Native Americans, and other insults directed against both the Native Americans and the high school students.   Then, according to the NY Times article, a member of the Native American group went directly into the midst of the high school students to drum and engage in other seemingly confrontational actions.  Was that taunting?   We each will have to decide.

Did the group of teens distinguish themselves in their response?  Probably not.  But, to affix the blame for the situation on them and condemn their actions while ignoring the, arguably worse, behavior of others in creating the situation simply is poor journalism and those who immediately jumped on the bandwagon are equally lazy.

In no way do I want to defend Trump here but fair is fair.

mtierney said:

Ah! So it's the black jewish guys that are really to blame! Thank goodness you clarified that for us.

That is your conclusion, not mine.

But, what is wrong about giving the story some further 

clarification — oh, wait i’ll answer that question: they were Catholic school students! 

The kids were marching around with Twitlers swaschtica on their heads.  That in and of itself should be cause for shame. 

This abuse of underaged school children is both pathetic and alarming.

mtierney said:
clarification — oh, wait i’ll answer that question: they were Catholic school students! 

The "We are under attack by those people" defense combined with the"You had some very fine people on both sides" argumentNicely done!

changing topic for a moment, mtierney and others may not have noticed the release of a 'pray with the Pope' app:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46945532

Robert_Casotto said:
This abuse of underaged school children is both pathetic and alarming.

Indeed.  Somebody should be looking at the parents and what is going on in these homes.

mtierney said:

I know you're paranoid, but the kids drew attention because they were wearing Trump paraphernalia which, like it or not, is Nazi-lite gear, not because they go to a Catholic school.  I do believe however, that Trump's message of hate should be unwelcome in all Christian homes.

tjohn said:

mtierney said:
I know you're paranoid, but the kids drew attention because they were wearing Trump paraphernalia which, like it or not, is Nazi-lite gear, not because they go to a Catholic school.  I do believe however, that Trump's message of hate should be unwelcome in all Christian homes.

Equating kids wearing Trump hats to Hitler youth sounds paranoid.

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:

mtierney said:
 Equating kids wearing Trump hats to Hitler youth sounds paranoid.

There are certain images that cause a reaction of sorts when I see them.  Images of the twin towers, certain things and images from WW II, etc.  MAGA hats have the same effect on me.  It makes me think the wearer is ignorant and hateful.  Whether or not that is fair to the wearer is somewhat irrelevant.  It's just a first impression.

tjohn said:

MAGA hats have the same effect on me.  It makes me think the wearer is ignorant and hateful.  

At this point, if the wearer isn't hateful then they are hell of ignorant.  You would have to have been living in a bunker for the past three years not to know that the MAGA hat is the swastika of the 21st century.

mtierney said:

They are not guilty by accusation, they are guilty by direct action.    YOU, yes you mtierney are guilty by accusation.   

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!