The Cassidy

Ketchup scandal brewing.....

Haven't gone yet but looking forward to trying the place.

Please tell me that those who have had the burger and the bad ketchup have said as much to management so that when I finally get there it will be another kink that has been worked out. TIA.  cheese 

Does anyone know if they've had their official opening yet or are they still in soft open mode?  I'm holding off going until then.

dano said:

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

..bunch'a damn whingers. Ya get what ya pay for. Whaddya expect for a $16. hamburger?

dano said:

.... The burgers were ok, the fries were good, but odd they don’t serve ketchup, just their house version?? It was dreadful LOL.

Yeah Jack.... just some ketchup. Go taste it and report back cheese cheese

I will probably never go in there. I am at the stage of geriatricity (new word I invented but youse can use it)

that my hearing loss, compounded with the reported bad acoustics. I would not hear a word anyone would say.

Fjj, It was quite painful Friday night. I may give the a try once they open for lunch either at the very beginning or the mid afternoon timing.

As an amateur musician, I do worry for the hearing loss of the many, many young people who are working there.  

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

My post about the need for hearing protection if you need to raise your voice to be heard, came from the O.S.H.A. inspector at my employer's premises.

The fine is $7k., per event, per day.

While noise seems insignificant, hearing loss from it never gets better.

I'm a big Cassidy fan. BUT I agree about the ketchup. I thought it was a mistake -- inedible. 

deborahg said:

I'm a big Cassidy fan. BUT I agree about the ketchup. I thought it was a mistake -- inedible. 

Did you mention it to the powers that be there? I ask you since I happen to have just seen your post but I asked the question of others who posted just not as directly. Inquiring minds and all that particularly since it seems like they should definitely change course about their ketchup direction. heh.

So just to be clear there is more concern for the Ketchup than the potential hearing loss of the staff.

Seriously!

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

rcarter31 said:

So just to be clear there is more concern for the Ketchup than the potential hearing loss of the staff.

Seriously!

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

Oh believe me Ron, if/when I go there I shall be sitting in the back near the tracks where it's quieter from all I've read and not getting anything that relies on ketchup until/unless that is improved.

There’s something just a little amusing when the quietest part of any place is next to the railroad tracks.

rcarter31 said:

So just to be clear there is more concern for the Ketchup than the potential hearing loss of the staff....

If you're in there, it ain't just the staff losing hearing.

I spent 30 hours on O.S.H.A. certification and that is why I take this stuff seriously.

I have nothing against the owners or the place itself so I am not going to post on this issue again.

Never understood why anyone felt the need to re-invent ketchup. Yeah yeah, mass-produced lowest common denominator food that doesn't belong in my classy eatery - but it happens to sell about a gazillion gallons a year, so they must be doing something right.

Just give in to Heinz already. Just add a comment to your menus - "We are proud to serve the venerable condiment Heinz ketchup with your burgers and fries."

End of story.

drummerboy said:

Never understood why anyone felt the need to re-invent ketchup. Yeah yeah, mass-produced lowest common denominator food that doesn't belong in my classy eatery - but it happens to sell about a gazillion gallons a year, so they must be doing something right.

Just give in to Heinz already. Just add a comment to your menus - "We are proud to serve the venerable condiment Heinz ketchup with your burgers and fries."

End of story.

And even include some if that farm-to-table vibe!

TIL art galleries should be providing me with ear plugs for art opening shows or face a $7000 fine from OSHA. 

mrincredible said:

drummerboy said:

End of story.

And even include some if that farm-to-table vibe!

Re: the ongoing saga of "Quest for ketchup" Had a  dear friend for the longest time.  Since he was an independent contractor his time was his own and I was I was in a  semi management position where I pretty much reported to myself.  We found ourselves able to have lunch often together in Central Jersey.  He was so nutty about the ketchup served at any diner or restaurant we frequented............if there was anything but Heinz ketchup sitting on the table we would leave to go to a plan B destination

Does Michelin factor in the ketchup offering when it awards its stars?

Heinz has been known as a beneficial employer for more than a century.  The company offered day care centers to their working mothers at a time when the concept was barely known.  Other benefits were offered and they treated their workers with respect......not as  possessions

The original Me. Heinz was possibly a little rough hewn,  but had all the attributes a gentleman should   possess        

wendy said:

deborahg said:

Did you mention it to the powers that be there? I ask you since I happen to have just seen your post but I asked the question of others who posted just not as directly. Inquiring minds and all that particularly since it seems like they should definitely change course about their ketchup direction. heh.

I did not.  They seem so very PROUD of it that I thought maybe it's just me...

There is a proudness about the menu and the items that came through loud and clear from our waitperson.  They don't have soda, they "make" their soda.  No ketchup they "make" their own.  It was half SNL skit and half charming.  I am the newcomer there so I won't judge them yet.  Happy they invested in the neighborhood and I wish only great things for them.  Judging by the looks of it, they will be ok.

In Chicago, Grant Achatz does a prune and anise ketchup, not sure what the Cassidy is doing. I think it's great that they are trying their own recipe, but yeah, they probably should have a tomato-based option for those who prefer that.

Got a seat at the bar the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is a sour-y vinegar taste.

Finally tried The Cassidy. There were three of us. Two votes in favor of the ketchup including the most health conscious who said regular ketchup is just junk. The dissenter loves Heinz ketchup.

We were seated in the back and I did not find it noisy. Chopped Salad, Brusell Sprouts were very good. Fries were pretty good. Two out of three of us liked the Hummus. The two of us who ordered Duck Ramen were not impressed. I tried the Brisket and thought it pretty good. The amount of wine poured in my glass at $14.00 was rather meager.

As I thought when I first saw the menu posted here, the place is rather pricey.

The family that kvetches together stays together!!!

Late snack/dinner with wife and teenage son last night.   Food excellent.  Brisket with potato pancake and red cabbage was really, really outstanding.  Pea soup off the hook (and I make a very good pea soup at home - this was better).   Fries good, though the pale orange stuff (ketchup?) was a mixed bag.  Two liked it, but my problem is that there was no hint of tomato flavor in it.    I wanted my Heinz.    Drinks (Cassidy Walz and Upside Down)  very good.      

But... the noise sitting at a booth in the front was a deal breaker.  Never again for dinner on a busy night.  Would consider sitting in the back as it looks a lot quieter or maybe early on a Monday night.    

Too bad, as I could see this being a twice-a-month joint for us.   

Yeah the noise is a real problem. I have to imagine they know about it and are working to fix it? I'd be surprised if they aren't reading this and other feedback elsewhere. I've seen the complaint both here and on the facebook group. Also, the music was terrible last time we were there -- like euro techno or something. Not a dealbreaker, but I hope its not the vibe they're going for.

If Boulud can charge $120 for a burger AND provide a tomato-based topping for it (ok, a roasted tomato confit and not Heinz, but still damn good), AND offer a homemade ketchup for their ridiculous frites, so can The Cassidy. 

Sometimes being different is just silly.  And doesn’t work. 

LOST said:

Finally tried The Cassidy. There were three of us. Two votes in favor of the ketchup including the most health conscious who said regular ketchup is just junk. The dissenter loves Heinz ketchup.

I do not eat anything with HFCS in it, except for Heinz Ketchup. At home I use the kind without HFCS, but if I am at a restaurant, I eat the regular stuff.

I couldn't agree more.  But I'm old.  Coda often has the techno crap on too and it's practically a deal breaker, especially if it's loud.  Are there actually people on the planet who think that is a good sound?

I hope that The Cassidy fixes the noise level for those of us old farts who value our hearing and like to have conversations with friends.  I think the place is a home run if they change nothing, just not for me except on quiet nights.  Speaking of which, this music would work better for me:

MikeZ said:

Yeah the noise is a real problem. I have to imagine they know about it and are working to fix it? I'd be surprised if they aren't reading this and other feedback elsewhere. I've seen the complaint both here and on the facebook group. Also, the music was terrible last time we were there -- like euro techno or something. Not a dealbreaker, but I hope its not the vibe they're going for.

I haven't been there when it was packed, and I didn't find it to be noisy. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.