The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Jaytee said:

It’s one thing to euthanize an old sick horse but Kristi Noem wrote about shooting her 14 month old dog because it was "untrainable and dangerous”….."I hated that dog," she wrote, and she recorded how after the dog ruined a hunting trip, she shot it in a gravel pit. Then she decided to kill a goat that she found to be "nasty and mean" as well as smelly and aggressive. She "dragged him to the gravel pit," too, and "put him down."
What a bunch of sweet caring Americans…shooting a rival on the steps of the capitol is being a good American.  

I heard about this but didn't know the details. Horrifying. That is one cold blooded woman. Its circulating among my friends on FB.

mtierney said:

Going from “woke” to “waking up”…..

If anyone wanted to know what it must have been like at mtierney's kitchen table during the Vietnam War, here it is. 

Morganna said:

I heard about this but didn't know the details. Horrifying. That is one cold blooded woman. Its circulating among my friends on FB.

Have you seen the family Christmas picture of her and her family posing with AR15 rifles in front of their Christmas tree? I don’t feel like searching for it now. I’m just fed up with the cruelty of this. 
Think about it… trump is considering her as his running mate…

Jaytee said:

Have you seen the family Christmas picture of her and her family posing with AR15 rifles in front of their Christmas tree? I don’t feel like searching for it now.

If you had searched for it, you wouldn’t have found it. The picture you’re thinking of was posted by Rep. Lauren Boebert, not Gov. Kristi Noem.

In the gun owner system, the owners are split into two separate yet equally important groups: those posing for holiday cards, and those who shoot puppies.  These are their stories... [cue Law & Order intro noise]

Jaytee said:

Have you seen the family Christmas picture of her and her family posing with AR15 rifles in front of their Christmas tree? I don’t feel like searching for it now. I’m just fed up with the cruelty of this. 

Not anymore. Even he's not this stupid. Too bad he didn't pick her before this story came out.

Then again, who knows? He's always had this bizarre attitude towards dogs. Obviously hates them. Often uses "like a dog" to express his most loathsome opinion about someone. And MAGA doesn't seem to mind.

drummerboy said:

Not anymore. Even he's not this stupid. Too bad he didn't pick her before this story came out.

Then again, who knows? He's always had this bizarre attitude towards dogs. Obviously hates them. Often uses "like a dog" to express his most loathsome opinion about someone. And MAGA doesn't seem to mind.

yeah… remember how he claimed he “killed him like a dog” referring to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi founder and leader of ISIS. 

DaveSchmidt said:

If you had searched for it, you wouldn’t have found it. The picture you’re thinking of was posted by Rep. Lauren Boebert, not Gov. Kristi Noem.

thanks for clearing that up. I am not sure why I mix them up.

Jaytee said:

Just heard she is going to be a guest on Face the Nation next Sunday. The story about her shooting the dog in the pit and killing the goat, was mentioned during last night's Correspondence dinner.

Perfect running mate for him.

Jaytee said:

DaveSchmidt said:

thanks for clearing that up. I am not sure why I mix them up.

One gets kicked out of theaters. The other dislikes goats yet owns them. 

Morganna said:

Jaytee said:

Just heard she is going to be a guest on Face the Nation next Sunday. The story about her shooting the dog in the pit and killing the goat, was mentioned during last night's Correspondence dinner.

Perfect running mate for him.

Wouldn't it be weird if SCOTUS grants complete presidential immunity, tRump wins with Noem as his vp and she shoots him claiming he is a danger to the world order?  Get on that, Netflix.

dave said:

Wouldn't it be weird if SCOTUS grants complete presidential immunity, tRump wins with Noem as his vp and she shoots him claiming he is a danger to the world order?  Get on that, Netflix.

LOL so glad you posted this. I had a similar fantasy in mind but wasn't sure if I would get kicked off MOL for sharing it!

I also found this post on a FB page "Veterans against Trump ism.

Under the picture it says, "Doesn't kill puppies."

but, is Joe really  going to share the second cup which has two scoops of ice cream? Regarding your other comment re violence, I imagine you love streaming British crime shows — with a cat in your lap — as much as I do!

Sometimes photos tell a story better than words…

These polls will be the root cause of the collective cranial explosions that we will witness this coming November happening to the conservatives who support trump.  You won’t believe that Biden could win a second term by more votes than the first time. It will be epic and hopefully it buries this whole freak show we’ve been watching for the last eight years 

mtierney said:

but, is Joe really  going to share the second cup which has two scoops of ice cream? Regarding your other comment re violence, I imagine you love streaming British crime shows — with a cat in your lap — as much as I do!

I'm hooked on BBC America on Saturdays. It's a marathon of Nature shows. But I do love British mysteries and historical dramas, where a lap cat is a requirement.

If there's one thing I stopped believing since 2016 it's polling. 

dave said:

Fair. If there's one thing Republicans stopped believing since 2020 it's elections.

PVW said:

Fair. If there's one thing Republicans stopped believing since 2020 it's elections.

To which we should reply,

dave said:

I have relied on survey data to this day in my career. It's  valid for what I use it for. We do very little screening of respondents and we're asking questions that are easy to give accurate answers to -- do you subscribe to Netflix, have you canceled a video subscription this month, etc. 

But I'm becoming more doubtful of political polls all the time. They each have proprietary likely voter screens and I'm skeptical that isn't a fairly significant segment of people who are even able to recall accurately if they voted in the last election, whether they are registered to a party, or actually registered at all. 

Lay that on top of asking people what they intend to do months from now and you get a lot of noise. And that's not even taking margin of error into account. 

Have polls really become that much less reliable? I've looked into a bit and from what I've found so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll keep looking.

I think the real problem is that in presidential elections so many state results are within or close to the margin of error. But there's not much that pollsters can do about that. 

drummerboy said:

Have polls really become that much less reliable? I've looked into a bit and from what I've found so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll keep looking.

I think the real problem is that in presidential elections so many state results are within or close to the margin of error. But there's not much that pollsters can do about that. 

polls become more reliable the closer we get to election day. I'm skeptical of what I see this far out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/29/opinion/student-protests-columbia-israel.html

You think? 

The upside of students taking over campuses for all the right reasons. But who remembers Oct 7th? Do pro- palestine activitists give a pass to Hamas?

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

polls become more reliable the closer we get to election day. I'm skeptical of what I see this far out.

yes, and that's always been the case, I think. It might be that we're seeing a lot more early polls than we used to? I dunno.

mtierney said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/29/opinion/student-protests-columbia-israel.html

You think? 

The upside of students taking over campuses for all the right reasons. But who remembers Oct 7th? Do pro- palestine activitists give a pass to Hamas?

do you give a pass to Israel for killing 20,000+ Gazan civilians?

I wouldn't be too concerned about student demonstrations if it wasn't an election year.  Their basic position has a lot to be said for it, and as far as overstatements, imbalance, etc., well, they're kids, and even the adults haven't been setting a very good example on that point recently.

BUT, imo it looks an awful lot like the antiwar protests in 1968: they (we) were basically right about the war, but arguably a consequence was the election of "I have a plan" Nixon, plus wakening/hardening on the right wing (remember "America - love it or leave it"?).  Holding my breath till November (not easy).

drummerboy said:

It might be that we're seeing a lot more early polls than we used to?

The November matchup got set a lot earlier than usual this time, which may have encouraged early polling.

A scan of these Wikipedia tables shows December-January polling as far back as 1948 (another cycle when the matchup was known early):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polling_for_United_States_presidential_elections

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

You think? 

do you give a pass to Israel for killing 20,000+ Gazan civilians?

it's nearly 35,000 now

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.