The Trump Indictments

terp said:

Covid was a tough day.  

For people like my nephew, covid is a bad rest of their lives.  He has long covid with heart complications and is, essentially, an invalid.

He was unvaxxed, as a semi pro athlete, he thought his body would take care of the virus with no trouble.  Its a shame there wasn't some sort of mandate, the rest of his life might look different for him.

I like the way that Terp has secret knowledge and insight that is beyond the reach of the sheeple masses.

They must feel very special (or, at least, that is my understanding of that particular disorder). After a while, though, narcissists just wear me out.

DaveSchmidt said:

On the bright side, there’s always the plagiarism excuse.

LOL

ridski said:

LOL

Oh, yeah, intended only as an example of the meme. Tracing the Ur source was beyond my ken.

Let's not bicker and argue about who plagiarized who.  This should be a happy time.

I love giving some people homework… there will be more…

Jaytee said:

I love giving some people homework…

How come? Why does spreading dis- and misinformation give you more pleasure than being accurate on your own and defying suckerhood?

What is the rationale for not making Trump post bail?  Seems like special treatment. 

GoSlugs said:

What is the rationale for not making Trump post bail?  Seems like special treatment. 

Given that the Secret Service provides security for him, it would seem to be a challenge for him to flee.

GoSlugs said:

What is the rationale for not making Trump post bail? Seems like special treatment.

Bail isn’t determined until arraignment this afternoon, right? And then isn’t bail typically a judgment call that often favors defendants who have status and means?

nohero said:

What should happen when Donald Trump is arraigned.

"Defendant faces significant jail time, has access to a private jet, likely has assets outside the U.S., and has multiple foreign governments which could give him asylum without extradition.

"Bail denied, remand for trial."

DaveSchmidt said:

GoSlugs said:

What is the rationale for not making Trump post bail? Seems like special treatment.

Bail isn’t determined until arraignment this afternoon, right? And then isn’t bail typically a judgment call that often favors defendants who have status and means?

No bail, which is what happened in NY surely does favor the wealthy. One would think that appropriate bail for a supposed billionaire (with the opportunities for flight that sort of wealth provides) would be somewhere around 500 million. 

Think about how much they charge those who don’t have the means to leave the state, much less the country. 

GoSlugs said:

Think about how much they charge those who don’t have the means to leave the state, much less the country. 

My understanding is that bail, bail bondsman or a surety is NOT part of the Federal criminal justice system.

Link: https://www.robertguest.com/bail-and-release-pending-trial-in-federal-cases.html 

Quote from linked site:  "A federal judge can grant release on personal recognizance, conditional release, temporary detention, or detention prior to trial."

IOW, your assertion that

"Think about how much much they charge those who don’t have the means" 
is wholly false (and likely your posting should be considered misinformation).

GoSlugs said:

No bail, which is what happened in NY surely does favor the wealthy. One would think that appropriate bail for a supposed billionaire (with the opportunities for flight that sort of wealth provides) would be somewhere around 500 million. 

FWIW, re the New York case:

Why Trump Probably Didn’t Have to Post Bail (NYT gift link)

RealityForAll said:

My understanding is that bail, bail bondsman or a surety is NOT part of the Federal criminal justice system.

Link: https://www.robertguest.com/bail-and-release-pending-trial-in-federal-cases.html

Quote from linked site: "A federal judge can grant release on personal recognizance, conditional release, temporary detention, or detention prior to trial."

Your understanding appears to depend on a single search result that ranks high on Google. Below is a primary source. You’ll see that it includes a bail provision, as well as another “conditional release” option — potential forfeiture of property — that a layman might also liken to bail.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2021-title18/html/USCODE-2021-title18-partII-chap207-sec3142.htm

RealityForAll said:

Quote from linked site:  "A federal judge can grant release on personal recognizance, conditional release, temporary detention, or detention prior to trial."

IOW, your assertion that

"Think about how much much they charge those who don’t have the means" 
is wholly false (and likely your posting should be considered misinformation).

That's just wrong.  Bail is used in federal courts.  They don't typically accept "bail bonds."  Rather, it's signature or property based.  For example, Rep. Santos is out on a $500,000 bond.  Samuel Bankman-Fried is out on a $250M bond.

Maybe you should "think about how [your post] is [ ] false (and likely your posting should be considered misinformation."

This seems unwise. 

Steve said:

That's just wrong.  Bail is used in federal courts.  They don't typically accept "bail bonds."  Rather, it's signature or property based.  For example, Rep. Santos is out on a $500,000 bond.  Samuel Bankman-Fried is out on a $250M bond.

Maybe you should "think about how [your post] is [ ] false (and likely your posting should be considered misinformation."

As is generally the case, RFA appears to be "confused".

GoSlugs said:

As is generally the case, RFA appears to be "confused".

Yet supremely confident in his response.

DaveSchmidt said:

RealityForAll said:

Quote from linked site: "A federal judge can grant release on personal recognizance, conditional release, temporary detention, or detention prior to trial."

RealityForAll said:

Click to Read More

RealityForAll said:

Your understanding appears to depend on a single search result that ranks high on Google. Below is a primary source. You’ll see that it includes a bail provision, as well as another “conditional release” option — potential forfeiture of property — that a layman might also liken to bail.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2021-title18/html/USCODE-2021-title18-partII-chap207-sec3142.htm

Thanks for straightening that issue out.  Bad/inacvurate link from my Google search - my apologizes.

Steve said:

Yet supremely confident in his response.

There’s no force in the verse stronger than unearned confidence. 

So Trump yells out "attention must be paid", and because everyone has only the vaguest memory of reading Arthur Miller in high school, this is a witch hunt?

RealityForAll said:

Thanks for straightening that issue out. Bad/inacvurate link from my Google search - my apologizes.

Your thanks and apologies would be easier to accept if you did me one small favor: Anytime you’re tempted to write “My understanding is” on MOL, think twice first.

PVW said:

So Trump yells out "attention must be paid", and because everyone has only the vaguest memory of reading Arthur Miller in high school, this is a witch hunt?

ISWYDT.

ridski said:

50 members of the intelligence community signed a letter saying it was Russian disinformation

Did they? Or did they say it smelled like Russian disinformation and ask that maybe someone should look into it?

That's plausible deniability.  Do you really think it was framed that way?  Look at the google search linked earlier in this thread. The laptop story was written off as crazy Qanon conspiracy. 

Here's one article from the guardian that says the censorship was good but didn't go far enough. 

GoSlugs said:

terp said:

Covid was a tough day.  

For people like my nephew, covid is a bad rest of their lives.  He has long covid with heart complications and is, essentially, an invalid.

He was unvaxxed, as a semi pro athlete, he thought his body would take care of the virus with no trouble.  Its a shame there wasn't some sort of mandate, the rest of his life might look different for him.

I was responding to a post that asked how it affected me and seemed to be casting my mental health in a poor light.   All that being said, I'm sorry to hear about your nephew's health issues. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.