The Trump Indictments

terp said:

Oh please. If you are in the good graces of the political class you can literally lie to congress and nothing will happen to you. 

Did someone call me?

terp said:

nohero said:

Does anyone take issue with the fact that one guy in this photo had his son's laptop recovered & 50 members of the intelligence community signed a letter saying it was Russian disinformation and then the whole media apparatus circled their wagons around this story and the big tech companies even censored the original story?  

Deference to Trump?  Sure. 

COVID really did a number on you, didn't it, terp?

PVW said:

The documents case looks so straightforward that not charging Trump would have been quite a mark of special treatment.

Trump has been going all over the country and appearing on TV admitting he took the documents. He has proudly proclaimed that he did exactly what he's charged with. 

How could he not have been indicted? He practicallly begged to be. 

I'm thinking that a cognitive decline will be a defense.  He and his followers truly believe that he won the election.  So - T**** having secret documents is perfectly fine for an elected leader (in his mind).

He's just plain insane:

Hard to tell what’s more cringe-

The boxes of classified material or the chandelier in the bathroom. 

nohero said:

Hard to tell what’s more cringe-

The boxes of classified material or the chandelier in the bathroom. 

I always thought that it would take someone close to trumpenstein to expose him. It was the employees who called, it was the employees who recorded him and took pictures. Obviously someone he thought was loyal to him and his family. He had taken documents to Bedminster in New Jersey also, but the feds never searched New Jersey right? Or did they? I never saw anything about New Jersey in relation to the document search. Oh well, at least they got him good this time. 

Jaytee said:

I always thought that it would take someone close to trumpenstein to expose him. It was the employees who called, it was the employees who recorded him and took pictures. Obviously someone he thought was loyal to him and his family. He had taken documents to Bedminster in New Jersey also, but the feds never searched New Jersey right? Or did they? I never saw anything about New Jersey in relation to the document search. Oh well, at least they got him good this time. 

It would be great to see him tried in New Jersey.

Morganna said:

It would be great to see him tried in New Jersey.

LOL!  To serve on that jury!

“In my administration no one will be above the law. I’m going to enforce all laws concerning the protection of classified information.”

Donald Trump…August 18 2016

Donald Trump tossed national security secrets all over Fifth Avenue and the GOP doesn’t care. 

How much latitude, if any, does the court system have to assign judges to specific cases? It's obviously troubling that Judge Cannon is currently assigned to the case, but given these unique circumstances (the fact that presidents nominate judges), it seems the ideal assignment would be a Republican-appointed judge not appointed by Trump.

I see there are a several Reagan and Bush (both) appointed judges, and even a Nixon one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_District_Court_for_the_Southern_District_of_Florida#Current_judges

PVW said:

How much latitude, if any, does the court system have to assign judges to specific cases? It's obviously troubling that Judge Cannon is currently assigned to the case, but given these unique circumstances (the fact that presidents nominate judges), it seems the ideal assignment would be a Republican-appointed judge not appointed by Trump.

Page 5, for the rules covering the random assignment of cases in the Southern District of Florida. (I’m unable to copy and paste from the PDF.)

https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/sites/flsd/files/17-10-17-Internal-Operating-Procedures.pdf

ETA: Reporting has indicated that the Justice Department faced a choice: File in D.C. and endure an extended battle with the defense over jurisdiction, or file in Florida and risk the random assignment of Cannon.

Jaytee said:

“In my administration no one will be above the law. I’m going to enforce all laws concerning the protection of classified information.”

Donald Trump…August 18 2016

DaveSchmidt said:

Page 5, for the rules covering the random assignment of cases in the Southern District of Florida. (I’m unable to copy and paste from the PDF.)

https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/sites/flsd/files/17-10-17-Internal-Operating-Procedures.pdf

ETA: Reporting has indicated that the Justice Department faced a choice: File in D.C. and endure an extended battle with the defense over jurisdiction, or file in Florida and risk the random assignment of Cannon.

A few more details: 

Last fall, this reporter sought clarity on whether Judge Cannon’s involvement with the lawsuit meant she would be automatically assigned any indictment if it were brought in the Southern District of Florida. In email messages, the chief clerk of the court there, Angela Noble, wrote: “We do not assign related cases to the same judge. A related case will still be randomly assigned.”

Still, the odds of an indictment being randomly assigned to Judge Cannon were low.

Normally, the district assigns new cases to judges who sit in either the divisions where the matters originated or adjoining ones. Mar-a-Lago is in the West Palm Beach division, between Fort Pierce and Fort Lauderdale. Seven active judges have chambers in those three divisions, as do three on senior status who still hear cases‌.

NYT gift link

DaveSchmidt said:

An interesting twist that may have been a factor in the decision not to file in D.C.: In a pending case this session, the Supreme Court could rule that if a venue is later found to have been improper, the remedy is acquittal.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/21-1576

"But Ms. Noble confirmed that no court practice would return the case to be assigned to another judge. In short, Judge Cannon’s assignment is permanent unless she were to step aside."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/10/us/politics/judge-aileen-cannon-trump-documents.html#:~:text=But%20Ms.%20Noble%20confirmed%20that,she%20were%20to%20step%20aside.

There she is….ms cannon on the left 

Jaytee said:

There she is….ms cannon on the left 

No, it isn’t. 

(ETA: Because this tweet, which contained the same photo posted above, has been deleted, the reply that shows that it’s a Getty Images stock photo from a rally in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., no longer appears in the embed.)

DaveSchmidt said:

You, too?

I got it off twitter…..long live free speech.

Jaytee said:

You’re rivaled only by mtierney as an unrepentant fount of misinformation.

Jaytee said:

DaveSchmidt said:

You, too?

Thanks for confirming your source.  Should I trust your furure postings?

If so, why?

Caveat emptor. 

I was skeptical of the photo from the jump. 

People need more stringent BS detectors. 

cramer said:

https://twitter.com/dbillin168/status/1667310602971234305/photo/1

hey…can someone who has Twitter report this to Musk? It’s free speech right? Anything goes 

Jaytee said:

cramer said:

https://twitter.com/dbillin168/status/1667310602971234305/photo/1

hey…can someone who has Twitter report this to Musk? It’s free speech right? Anything goes 

Suggestion for your next "informative" posting (also see pic):  https://www.cits.ucsb.edu/fake-news/brief-history

PS The pic is associated with fake news formulated to attract eyeballs and clicks.  Linked info explains this in detail.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.