Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

@mtierney,

in your own words, please explain how the transgender ideology has poisoned our culture. 

tjohn said:

@mtierney,

in your own words, please explain how the transgender ideology has poisoned our culture. 

first, I would request a definition of transgender ideology. Such as who practices it and how.

Just because one post follows another, doesn’t necessarily mean the posts are a response to previous comments. Sometimes, they are, of course, but a poster would, or should, make that connection.

The cartoon was funny. Remember funny?

Nohero, on the other hand, put  db’s, his own, and my comments in one post! What is that all about?

mtierney said:

Just because one post follows another, doesn’t necessarily mean the posts are a response to previous comments. Sometimes, they are, of course, but a poster would, or should, make that connection.

The cartoon was funny. Remember funny?

Nohero, on the other hand, put  db’s, his own, and my comments in one post! What is that all about?

You’re demonstrating the point that you ignored comments on the article you posted. 

mtierney said:

Where and who are “the haters,” nohero? What filters do you use to protect yourself from challenging points of view?

Well, it's clear at least what measures mtierney takes to protect herself from challenging points of view.

Wednesday i the Second Week of Lent….

so this is more of a bible verse thread then a pope related one - we should probably change the title.

jamie said:

so this is more of a bible verse thread then a pope related one - we should probably change the title.

Or change the category !

jamie said:

Bible posting, but certainly no desire to engage with what she's posting. I wonder if she even reads the verses she posts? How does the humility Jesus preaches in the last excerpt relate to the lust for power displayed by the MAGA party the OP so ardently supports? What should someone who calls themselves a follower of an innocent man who gave himself up to death make of a rapist and fraudster who cries that he's a victim of a witch hunt?

It’s like our resident jehovas witness ringing our doorbell every day…

She just has this obsession with seeing her two threads bubble up to the top every day with annoying posts. I would sink it. 

Jaytee said:

It’s like our resident jehovas witness ringing our doorbell every day…

She just has this obsession with seeing her two threads bubble up to the top every day with annoying posts. I would sink it. 

Or just move it to the "Religion" category, where it belongs.

jamie said:

@jamie, last lent and  advent, I began posting Bible excerpts, and began doing so again since Ash Wednesday. No one here, who objects to reading words from the greatest book ever written, who hates freedom of religion, is obligated to open the thread and read it. Haters, who  wish to crush or stop reading about faith in God, or read historical facts, have a choice: Don’t click on the post.  Need we more proof that hostility toward religion is rampant than what’s happening in the Middle East?

News from Rome and the Holy Father will be posted, as well. Scripture and Vatican news are not mutually exclusive.

As I am sure you recall, Jamie, it was your decision to move this thread to Politics, not mine. But, as the world works, you were right, religion and politics are intertwined and have been since Jesus walked among us.

I think this thread belongs in this category. I'm recalled of this verse:

No one can serve two masters.m He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon

(https://bible.usccb.org/bible/matthew/6)

We get a real time demonstration of this, watching mtierney post words from Scriptures or the pope, then turn right around and ignore them as she pledges her allegiance to MAGA.

Just noticed Jamie changed the title to this thread — it will only work for Lent and Advent, however. 

I would like to have the opportunity to work on a title which will not have some posters upset by unexpected exposure to the words of Christ and the Apostles, something inoffensive, which would work for twelve months of the year. Actually, I thought the previous title had  worked well for the past few years.

As a child growing up Catholic in Brooklyn, we always had to “give something up for Lent,” most often it was candy, cake, or ice cream. Grownups might give up cigarettes or drink. This was during the era of no meat eating — exemptions were made to allow folks to have cornbeef on St. Patrick’s Day, of course.

As a senior citizen, there are no such strict rules any longer for me  to observe. That is what prompted me to seek a proactive task for holy seasons, and perhaps learn from the exercise. 

It begs the question, how in the world will the universe — including Maplewood and South Orange — survive the suppression of freedom of speech and religious thought?

mtierney said:

It begs the question, how in the world will the universe — including Maplewood and South Orange — survive the suppression of freedom of speech and religious thought?

That's an extreme hypothetical, since freedom of speech and religious thought aren't suppressed here in Maplewood and South Orange.

Spouting hate about others' beliefs, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities, etc. should be more discouraged than it is, however. 

mtierney said:

Say a prayer…

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/28/world/europe/pope-francis-hospital.html

why should we pray? He’s got the flu. We just can’t keep praying at every turn, we don’t want to interrupt the inevitable. He’s very old, and should stay away from public places to prevent getting sick. 

nohero said:

mtierney said:

That's an extreme hypothetical, since freedom of speech and religious thought aren't suppressed here in Maplewood and South Orange.

Following up on this - if anyone wants to see governmental suppression of religious activities, literally an attempt to criminalize Christianity, you can look at what the Texas Attorney General is doing.

Ken Paxton’s Annunciation House investigation is the latest attack on religious organizations aiding migrants at the border

mtierney said:

I’m surprised by this quote from Jeremiah, Mtierney. I was taught in cheder (‘Sunday’ school/Hebrew school) to trust in good people (‘by their deeds shall you know them’), and also in Gd. I don’t think I’ve read or heard this passage that says not to trust humans at all. 
that’s a lot of cynicism to teach very young children, don’t you think? (Just asking, not attacking)

Saturday of the Second Week of Lent…

"many began to believe in his name

when they saw the signs he was doing."

dave said:

"many began to believe in his name

when they saw the signs he was doing."

that sign was meant for Pontius Pilate…

Pontius Pilates gets the:

"Will I need a yoga mat for this?" sign

Truly, the signs reveal how very troubled our young people are, as well as directionless…

This portion is interesting, and relevant in many ways for today’s health-seeking people. (Yes, I know I’m being literal)

The river Jordan feeds into the Dead Sea, which is ringed by many health resorts and communities. Decades ago, my mother was taken to the Dead Sea by her cousins to spend time there, floating in the waters (it’s hard to submerge yourself in the super salty waters) and using special ointments from there to cure her atrocious psoriasis covering every part of her skin. She came home to Australia a month later with new skin  that stayed mostly clear apart from her legs and scalp. 
Don’t dismiss all you read in the Bible as ancient fairy tales. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.