"The Affordable Debating Act of 2014"

paulsurovell said:

ajc said:

FWIW, I'm sure roundhouse must also be a cool guy in "Real Life".

I'll bet the farm his family is proud of him, and his friends all say he's the life of the party. I mean even I knew after his first few words he was a class act... ;-)

A key tenet of liberalism is inclusiveness. Roundhouse is not a liberal.

Roundhouse is also no longer a member of our community.

denniss said:

Do you suppose this will do anything to dispel the occasionally stated notion that the only people who get banned around here are conservatives?

sac said:

denniss said:

Do you suppose this will do anything to dispel the occasionally stated notion that the only people who get banned around here are conservatives?

Dispel a notion?
When did that ever happen?

ridski said:

It lost me at Joe the Plumber, who is now Sam the UAW Member at Chrysler.

grin)

Thanks for this update, I missed it.

LOST said:

sac said:

denniss said:

Dispel a notion?
When did that ever happen?

Right. Silly of me ...

LOST said:

It's good to see that you have opinions on people and things other than Netanyahu and Middle East chances for peace. ;-)

You need to follow me more closely.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/26/1373436/-Republican-Congresswoman-gets-surprise-on-Facebook-after-asking-constituents-for-ACA-horror-stories?detail=email#

sac said:

denniss said:

I wish. I've been banned for saying something truly awful to a former poster. And our pancake wizard has said many, many insulting things and he usually gets a pass.

It's USUALLY name calling that does it.

LOST said:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/26/1373436/-Republican-Congresswoman-gets-surprise-on-Facebook-after-asking-constituents-for-ACA-horror-stories?detail=email#

The fact that she was surprised is surprising to me. This happens EVERY TIME they try a stunt like this. #outoftouch

LOST said:

Of course. The ACA as a failure is a Conservative theme that lacks reality.

TylerDurden said:

LOST said:

Plumbing and healthcare are two different things. The Free Market is fine for the first. It doesn't work for the second.

How would you know?

Woot said:

LOST said:

Plumbing and healthcare are two different things. The Free Market is fine for the first. It doesn't work for the second.

It works fine for healthcare, if your objective is to ensure that not everyone is covered.

The intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the free market has caused tons of problems. Therefore, the free market doesn't work. Infallible logic if I've ever seen it.

If you say so. You are the libertarian expert. So explain to me the model where all people are covered with health insurance in a free market society? As you start typing, please account for libertarian self-interest and greed in your plan.

Woot said:

As you start typing, please account for libertarian self-interest and greed in your plan.

grin)

sac said:

The fundamental difference between the U.S. and nearly every other nation is that, as a society, we have not adopted the philosophy that EVERYONE has the right to decent healthcare. So, instead, it is treated like a commercial commodity and we get false analogies like this.

Well said. The reason why a free market system can't work for health care, is that in every other economic sector, from housing, to cars, to consumer staples, etc., your consumption is based on your earnings, and what you can afford. If you make X, you buy Y. Health care is fundamentally different. Rich people and poor people all get cancer and heart disease. Everyone, regardless of income, grows old. The ACA guaranteed everyone access to the system, if they could pay something, which is a start. But it doesn't fix a lot of fundamental problems with our entire medical system. An entire book could be written on that topic, so I'll leave it at that.

LOST said:

TylerDurden said:

LOST said:

How would you know?

A lifetime, well many many years, of hiring plumbers and buying healthcare insurance.

Lets just hope one day we aren'taren't rquired to buy plumbing insurance.

Woot said:

TylerDurden said:

LOST said:

How would you know?

Woot said:

LOST said:

It works fine for healthcare, if your objective is to ensure that not everyone is covered.

The intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the intervention of the free market has caused tons of problems. Therefore, the free market doesn't work. Infallible logic if I've ever seen it.

If you say so. You are the libertarian expert. So explain to me the model where all people are covered with health insurance in a free market society? As you start typing, please account for libertarian self-interest and greed in your plan.

What was the great crisis that started us on this path? Prior to coupling insurance with our employer was there a great crisis?

i would love to have more freedom to act in the interests of myself and my family. Alas, my fate is tied to the ignorant mass of people known as the American voter. The American voter is ignorant enough to believe that not only does their vote make a difference, but that those for whom they vote act in their best interest and protect them from things like markets. To make matters worse the performance of the government schools continue to degrade which will likely lead to an increasingly dependent and ignorant American voter.

Government schools? You're sounding like Pennboy.

Tell us about the degradation of public schools...

I think Joe is cheaper than Weltman.

sac said:

The fundamental difference between the U.S. and nearly every other nation is that, as a society, we have not adopted the philosophy that EVERYONE has the right to decent healthcare. So, instead, it is treated like a commercial commodity and we get false analogies like this.
I've yet to see a response to this from ajc or any of the other cons here. I think that this is the core issue in the discussion of healthcare in th US, but 'the other side' always seems to run away from it.

The Cons take the attitude, " I've got mine, screw you". Because a segment of the populace can afford decent health care does not mean that those who can not should get sub standard or no care.

This great country should be better than that.

ParticleMan said:

Government schools? You're sounding like Pennboy.

Tell us about the degradation of public schools...

What are they if not government schools? Who pays for them? Who runs them? We have a compulsory educational system. Embrace it.

Anyway, to the results of this fine system.

As has been well established already on this board 60% of students entering College require remedial study. Our schools are not preparing our children for work, or secondary education.

How do we rank in the world? We are ranked 27th in the world according to a PISA study

Some highlights:
Among the 34 OECD countries, the United States performed below average in mathematics in
2012 and is ranked 27th (this is the best estimate, although the rank could be between 23 and
29 due to sampling and measurement error). Performance in reading and science are both
close to the OECD average. The United States ranks 17 in reading, (range of ranks: 14 to 20)
and 20 in science (range of ranks: 17 to 25). There has been no significant change in these
performances over time

While the U.S. spends more per student than most countries, this does not translate into
better performance. For example, the Slovak Republic, which spends around USD 53 000 per
student, performs at the same level as the United States, which spends over USD 115 000 per
student.

Students in the United States have particular weaknesses in performing mathematics tasks with higher cognitive demands, such as taking real-world situations, translating them into mathematical
terms, and interpreting mathematical aspects in real-world problems. An alignment study between
the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and PISA suggests that a successful
implementation of the Common Core Standards would yield significant performance gains also in
PISA.

Just over one-quarter (26%) of 15-year-olds in the United States do not reach the PISA baseline Level 2 of mathematics proficiency, at which level students begin to demonstrate the skills that
will enable them to participate effectively and productively in life. This percentage is higher than
the OECD average of 23% and has remained unchanged since 2003. By contrast, in Hong KongChina,
Korea, Shanghai-China and Singapore, 10% of students or fewer are poor performers in
mathematics.

Listed Among the weaknesses of the American Math Student....

• Substantial mathematization of a real-world situation – requiring students to establish a
mathematical model of a given real-world situation in the form of a term or an equation with
variables for geometric or physical quantities, before further actions (especially calculations) can
take place. Students have to understand the situation and activate and apply the appropriate
mathematical content

•Genuine interpretation of real-world aspects – requiring students to take a given real-world
situation seriously and properly interpret aspects of it

Ah yes. That erudite American Voter!

author said:

The Cons take the attitude, " I've got mine, screw you". Because a segment of the populace can afford decent health care does not mean that those who can not should get sub standard or no care.

This great country should be better than that.

I think your examination of the situation is superficial at best. People do not have a right to the labor of others. The solution you have "Everyone needs Health Care Insurance!!!!!!" not only just treats a symptom, it treats a symptom caused by your very solutions.

I will wait, indefinitely I'm sure, for an answer to my earlier question.

We've always been average students.

(Fwd: FW: Fw: Fwd: FWD: Fw: thanks NObama, US GDP per capita approaching Slovak republic levels)

Get it? We're bad at maths.

American students have never tested all that well internationally. Nor have Brits. Focus should be on achievement after the "horrible" experience of public school education. We lead Planet Earth in creativity, innovation, Nobels, etc. Maybe our kids should spend 12 hours per day studying mind-numbing data and score higher on tests. Which do we prefer?

Come on, who doesn't want to spend one half of their childhood in school, and the other half in cram school?

Perhaps we don't have enough kids jumping out of windows because of poor test performance. Anyone see the photo last week of Indians climbing into windows to help relatives cheat on tests?

Talk about yer helicopter parents. These are Spiderman parents.

That depends. What's a cram school?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1946083/parents-climb-walls-to-help-kids-cheat-on-test-in-india/

Unlike other nations, we try to educate all of our children and we do test all of them. That skews the results a bit.

Nothing to see here. All's well!

It doesn't bode well for the city's youth that the majority of its teachers-in-training can't pass a basic literacy test.

The Post writes today that a depressingly low percentage of college students training to be teachers passed the Academic Literacy Skills exam, required for the first time by the Board of Regents.
Of the 13 students who attempted it, not one student at Boricua College in the Bronx managed to pass the test. Twenty-nine percent passed at York College in Queens, 41 percent at CUNY’s College of Technology in Brooklyn, 47 percent at Lehman College in the Bronx, 51 percent at City College, 54 percent at Brooklyn College and 55 percent at the College of Staten Island.

CUNY administrators appeared adequately disgusted by the abysmal pass rate. “We are not satisfied with these results, and we are working closely with our college presidents, education deans and others to ensure we do all we can to produce the quality teachers the city requires and deserves,” CUNY Chancellor James Milliken told the tabloid.

Statewide, the average pass rate was 68 percent. Students are allowed to retake the test once they've paid a fee.

Meanwhile, this:

States are providing less per-pupil funding for kindergarten through 12th grade than they did seven years ago — often far less. The reduced levels reflect primarily the lingering effects of the 2007-09 recession. At a time when states and the nation need workers with the skills to master new technologies and adapt to the complexities of a global economy, this decline in state educational investment is cause for concern.

Our review of state budget documents finds that:

* At least 30 states are providing less funding per student for the 2014-15 school year than they did before the recession hit. Fourteen of these states have cut per-student funding by more than 10 percent. (These figures, like all the comparisons in this paper, are in inflation-adjusted dollars and focus on the primary form of state aid to local schools.)
* Most states are providing more funding per student in the new school year than they did a year ago, but funding has generally not increased enough to make up for cuts in past years. For example, Alabama is increasing school funding by $16 per pupil this year. But that is far less than is needed to offset the state’s $1,144 per-pupil cut over the previous six years.

Nothing says "I'm an ideologue" quote like using the phrase "government schools." You'd think that all those pictures taped up on refrigerators were done under the supervision of jackboot-thug teachers in body armor, they way you go on about the evil government.

They are "public schools." They are run in large part by your neighbors who have been voted on to the Board of Education.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.