South Orange BOT election

Lovesagoodsale said:
I think namecalling under aliases ruins decent convos but maybe that’s just me. As you were, everyone. 

FTFY

I don’t post under my real name here because I don’t want to be google searchable.  Those who know me IRL know exactly who I am here, as I don’t make it hard to guess.  But I talk about kids, school issues, fertility issues, politics, etc here, and don’t choose to give up privacy by making these discussions open for google search by potential employers or children’s potential employers.  

Since my friends and family know my handle, I speak here as if my name were attached, since my local reputation is attached.  

Some of us have been discussing local politics here for over a decade, and at times this has been an important forum in local politics.  Other times it has become an ugly troll fest, full of posters who get banned for bad behavior and come back under new names to keep polluting the discourse.  I do my best not to name call, and to be helpful, at least until someone acts in ways that drive me away.  I’m glad to be here under the same name I first created when I first joined.

susan1014 for BOT (some day) (I hope).

From Deborah’s Facebook page:

“Join me on Tuesday, Feb 26th at 7pm at Inkosi Cafe to hear a special announcement about my slate of highly qualified trustee candidates.”

mayhewdrive said:

“Join me on Tuesday, Feb 26th at 7pm at Inkosi Cafe to hear a special announcement about my slate of highly qualified trustee candidates.”

Hmmmm, this is literally on my street.  Gotta say, I am intrigued to see exactly what kind of train wreck this will be. 

mbaldwin said:

mayhewdrive said:

Hmmmm, this is literally on my street.  Gotta say, I am intrigued to see exactly what kind of train wreck this will be. 

We'll know soon enough, but strong rumors indicate that 2 of the candidates will be Matt Wonski and Edward Grossi. (I am hearing conflicting on the name on the 3rd candidate)

it's official...There are at least 3 Trustee candidates and 2 VP candidates (Deborah and Sheena).  

The deadline for any remaining candidates to file is March 11.

Interesting. Why on earth does it list where some of the candidates went to school? I get why for Matthew, to show he's a local guy, but for the others? Am I supposed to care?

PurpleMonkeyDshwashr said:
Interesting. Why on earth does it list where some of the candidates went to school? I get why for Matthew, to show he's a local guy, but for the others? Am I supposed to care?

Although, you'll notice that is conspicuously absent for Deborah.

Education is a key credential  in any "job interview", and running for office is no different. (even Presidential candidates always tout their degrees)

mayhewdrive said:

Although, you'll notice that is conspicuously absent for Deborah.
Education is a key credential  in any "job interview", and running for office is no different. (even Presidential candidates always tout their degrees)

Fair enough, but I don't recall seeing this before. I really don't care what anyone's undergrad degree is in and I fail to see why it's relevant (and yes I also noticed that DDF's is missing).

When I ran for Trustee in 2013, I put my educational credentials on my literature.  I can't imagine why this is an issue for some folks here.  I like to know as much as possible regarding the qualifications of who I'm voting for. 

I like having the most info possible, too, Rob. I’m always happy to see people who grew up here or have lived here for decades run for office. 

Although I no longer live in SOMa, I can say that after 30-years as a South Orangino, I totally support Sheena's re-election...

I know nothing of the political leanings of Ms. Borden or Mr. Grossi (I welcome anyone committed enough to run), but I do hope to learn (A) why DDF omits her own educational background in the flyer, and (2) to what degree Matt Wonski shares the stridently right-wing political views of his father...

For the record, I've long been a Stacey Electric customer, and will continue to devour THD's Sloppy Joes at any opportunity.

-s.

wow!  Do we have to account for the politics of our parents here?  That’s pretty severe!  Do we choose leaders by DNA?  

I know many if you like Sheena and you are certainly more than welcome to your opinions and votes. I have a problem with Sheena since she felt free to post this on a post she created on a forum (Next Door) she knew I was no longer on. It’s not OK for various reasons. It’s not compassionate and it’s not correct. So many Issues here. 

The screenshots below were taken before I was once again banned from this forum. I was shocked to find out the town leader was talking about me on a public forum and I had no way to know about it or respond. Any political official who thinks this is OK is mistaken. 

yes, showing compassion herself and asking others to be compassionate is something we should resoundingly reject in our local leaders.  

this isn’t compassion Steve. 

her answers to your incessant questions and statements were thorough and honest.  We know where she stands on every issue facing our town.  I know nothing about where DDF stands on any issue, because she has never really spoken out.  As far as Wonski, yes,it matters to me if he is a Trump supporter.

Lovesagoodsale said:

It is absolutely compassion.  She is asking the community be civil and unemotional in responding to the posts of one person.  

Red_Barchetta said:

Lovesagoodsale said:
 It is absolutely compassion.  She is asking the community be civil and unemotional in responding to the posts of one person.  

It shows a lot of compassion. Many people thanked Sheena and deleted their posts in which they complained about  Lovesagoodsale's seeming unwillingness and inability to appreciate that Sheena had spent hours and hours trying to answer Lovesagoodsale's  many many questions that she asked Sheena on Nextdoor. Sheena spent an entire Labor Day weekend trying to get through to Lovesagoodsale and was unable to do so - Sheena even offered to sit down with Lovesagoodsale and answer all of her questions and Sheena even gave Lovesagoodsale her cellphone number. 

this neighborhood is amazing!

anybody running for office should expect questions!  

I think having a leader who writes what she did on a social media forum where she knows the subject has been banned presents a huge liability but hey, I have training in that kinda stuff. 

Rob_Sandow said:
When I ran for Trustee in 2013, I put my educational credentials on my literature.  I can't imagine why this is an issue for some folks here.  I like to know as much as possible regarding the qualifications of who I'm voting for. 

I didn't say it was an issue, but I fail to see how having a B.A. in History from Cornell (for example) tells me anything at all about someone's qualifications for a Trustee position. Frankly I would rather that space on the flyer being given over to actual relevant info (if there is any). To each their own.

Rob_Sandow said:

I voted for you and you would have made a wonderful trustee. But you're doing a lot of other things for the town - thank you.  

Rob_Sandow said:
I didn't say it was an issue, but I fail to see how having a B.A. in History from Cornell (for example) tells me anything at all about someone's qualifications for a Trustee position. Frankly I would rather that space on the flyer being given over to actual relevant info (if there is any). To each their own.

The Trustees do a lot more than just attend a bi-weekly meeting and vote on things.  Each one chairs an important committee, sits on a few others, and acts as a liaison to other local boards etc.   There are issues of finance, infrastructure, legal, environmental importance etc.  Wouldn't it be nice to know if a potential Trustee has an MBA in finance or a degree in engineering or law?  These are some of the skills actually needed to have an effective board. 

I completely agree.  Our current VP is proof that skills and education in related fields are valuable.  

Sure, then highlight if it's actually relevant. A BS in Chemistry from 30 years ago ain't that.

Switching gears, I see that Sheena has a campaign kick off coming up in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to her campaign starting and interested to see if she has BOT candidates running with her.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.