SaveMillburn.com

to not include all prewar structures in some kind of historic protection is quite frankly madness

Madness?

Except for a few teardowns/rebuilds, my neighborhood is almost entirely pre-war. Historic protection would lower the real estate value of these houses. Protected houses must have a regulatory hearing with the Historic Preservation Commission if the applicant is considering exterior changes that will involve any demolition to any structure in the site. I wouldn't want to live in a protected house. Protection makes it difficult to renovate and sell your property.

yet the protected homes are seen as exclusive and sell very well

Posted By: footballmomin fact broigus maybe one of the the shul leaders or the attorney

I am not and it is libelous for you to claim that. But given your history of outrageous statements not surprising.

Posted By: footballmomThese things are in flux, and ordinances can be changed.

I gave you the history and told you it had been proposed in the past but given opposition from homeowners it has no chance of happening.

Posted By: footballmomto not include all prewar structures in some kind of historic protection is quite frankly madness

Old does not make something distinguished. There are many old houses that have no particular redeeming value.

Posted By: footballmomto not include all prewar structures in some kind of historic protection is quite frankly madness

Funny how you do not want your rights infringed but you are so quick to make blanket proscriptions for others.

I am not making blanket prescriptions for others. That is wrong and nasty. Talking about old beautiful architecture. Should be protected. You feel it has no redeeming value just because it is old. Many historians would disagree with you (as well as architects specializing in restoration.) Many would disagree. But it is you who speaks for everyone, I see. And I have NO IDEA who you are, you just have an apparent intensive bias against any historic protection -why?- and you are going very, very far to protect the shul. In fact, nothing matters to you. Not historic architecture, not community respect of neighbors, nothing. Just the shul.

Somebody hasn't been wearing their helmet.

Posted By: footballmomI am not making blanket prescriptions for others.

Posted By: footballmomTalking about old beautiful architecture. Should be protected.

Sure sounds like blanket proscriptions for others - you are telling the property owners what they need to do.

And, a prescription is something your doctor gives you. To act to forbid something is "proscription".

Again, so very many questions directed to the wrong audience if one truly does want solid answers.

Why not go to the source for your questions about the shul? (Unless, of course, you aren't really interested in real information and instead just want to publicly whine and complain.)

From their website - http://www.chaicenter.net/page.asp?pageID={71377A97-AD08-4A8A-B4CC-3440F61E9EE4}

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Praise? Critique?
Please drop us a line. Be sure to include your email address!

Chai Center for Living Judaism
515 Millburn Avenue
Short Hills, NJ 070780
973-379-3151
Email: info@chaicenter.net

(oops! It posted twice for some reason!)

I didn't read this whole thread, but I personally think that the historic homes should be protected and not allowed to be turned into places of worship. It bugs me when residential homes are turned into places of worship, regardless of the religion.

footballmom, you might want to take a cue from Elton John.

"The less I say, the more my work gets done."

I live in Millburn and actually am concerned about that area, but it is a somewhat selfish reason as I ride on OSH Rd all the time and frequently in that neighborhood. It is part of my regular route, along with many other cyclists. I'm also concerned about the future implications of granting a zoning exception but I am trying to check out the issue with eyes that are a little more willing to see more than one side.

I gotta say that the more I read your posts, the more I get turned off by your rancor. I feel you're hurting rather than helping your cause.

Edited to correct grammar goofs.

Agua - I agree with you.
but the screams and rancor on this board will drown out any viewpoint that is not favor of the shul demolishing the home & the home next to it to put up a 16000 sq ft commerical space in a quiet neighborhood despite zoning laws.
it sounds like the side in favor of the shul is working this message board. they do protest, though and claim to be neutral-

screams?:shocked:

(ummmm....wow!)

Posted By: footballmomAgua - I agree with you.
but the screams and rancor on this board will drown out any viewpoint that is not favor of the shul demolishing the home & the home next to it to put up a 16000 sq ft commerical space in a quiet neighborhood despite zoning laws.
it sounds like the side in favor of the shul is working this message board. they do protest, though and claim to be neutral-

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Please look in the mirror because the only person you are describing is yourself.

Posted By: bikefixedI gotta say that the more I read your posts, the more I get turned off by your rancor. I feel you're hurting rather than helping your cause.
me too. the more i read from the football the more i want to side with the shul.

Posted By: footballmombut the screams and rancor on this board will drown out any viewpoint that is not favor of the shul demolishing the home & the home next to it to put up a 16000 sq ft commerical space in a quiet neighborhood despite zoning laws.
this is EXACTLY what you are doing. all the other posts seem calm; not matter what side they are on.

Posted By: broigusTalk about the pot calling the kettle black. Please look in the mirror because the only person you are describing is yourself.
very true. i've asked football mom a few times where she lives. i'm curious if she lives within a few houses of where the shul wants to build.

(i don't think the shul should be allowed on jefferson ave; but i don't agree with the manner footballmom is going to oppose it)

Posted By: just the aunt(i don't think the shul should be allowed on jefferson ave; but i don't agree with the manner footballmom is going to oppose it)

agree

footballmom is all talk and no action. She probably won't even be at the...

Millburn Zoning Board Synagogue hearing scheduled for Monday, March 22nd, 7pm, at Hartshorn Elementary School.
Everybody Be there!!!

Here's a link to an article in The Item that might be of interest.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/87306352_Congregants_defend_worship_in_home.html?c=y&page=1

Drove by there this morning around 7:40am....didn't know where it was-(just on/off Old Short hills Road), it wasn't on my mind at 7:40 in the morning on my way home from bringing my daughter to school...but as I was driving down Short Hills rd-(south-I guess?)-as soon as I saw 15-20 cars scattered through-out the driveway & yard as I was passing by-I knew what it was and the street sign - Jefferson confirmed it...not jumping in totally-but it just seems from my drive-by this am with all those cars today standing out-that any building they wish to put up would only stand out more ?....

ex-mayhem, have you looked at the plans? From what I see, they plan to take down the large house on the corner, as well as the tiny-seeming house next door to it (on Jefferson) and build a larger building that seems to be styled a lot like the existing large house. I'm not great with size estimates, but I don't think the house will end up being any larger than the other huge houses located on Jefferson (much of the "living space" will be underground.)

Here's a link to the plans on savemillburn.org's site http://www.savemillburn.com/proposed-plans

It isn't clear, but they may also be planning to take down the garage on the property since I don't see it on the plans. They seem to be wanting to move the house closer to Jefferson - possibly in an attempt to provide more distance from the neighbor on Old Short Hills Road?

Anyway, from reading the article I referenced two posts up, it sounds like they are hoping to blend into the neighborhood and not cause unfriendly disruptions. Of course it may just be a fluff, PR piece they convinced the journalist to write, but based on the few interactions I've had with the Rabbi and his wife, I believe that is actually exactly what they would want.

In fact, the article also seems to suggest that they would have been perfectly happy continuing to pray in the house as it currently stands, but somehow have been forced by the town to build a new building? The "why" behind that is not very clear.

Installing a 48-car parking lot doesn't sound much like blending into the neighborhood.

People might want to look more closely at the plans for the parking lot. The actual plans show nothing near 48 spaces. That may look good to those in Short Hills who would want as few spaces as possible. On the other hand, it might tend to create more traffic jams when people can't find a parking space. Even more important, the layout is unworkable -- the drive lanes on the north side end in a dead end, which doesn't matter for people backing out of a parking space, but which doesn't help those who can't find a space, unless they are beamed up from there to the mother ship.

I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the architectural plans and elevations. I would have a few criticisms, but on the whole it seems better than might have been expected.

Just to remind everyone - the planning board meeting is this Monday, March 22, 2010, 7 p.m. - Hartshorn Elementary School. The Chai Center for Living Judaism's hearing to construct a new synagogue. The hearing was moved to Hartshorn to accommodate an expected large audience.

We were just notified by a senior township official that the Zoning Board of Adjustment meeting planned for tonight at 7pm at the Hartshorn School has been called off or canceled. The reason given was a notification problem (our guess is perhaps newspapers were not correctly notified or not notified at all which is a legal step that must be done so public is aware). We were all aware but I think this means legally it was not done by either the Zoning board or the Chai Center. No new date given yet but assume next month and will post that date as soon as we have information. Sorry for any inconvenience but not our doing obviously. from SaveMillburn This message was sent by: The Concerned Neighborhood Association of Millburn Township, www.SaveMillburn.com, Millburn, NJ 07041

According to Rabbi Bogomilsky, the Zoning Board neglected to notice that a special meeting would be held in the Hartshorn School, as is required by the Open Public Meetings Act (The Sunshine Law).

The meeting is therefore canceled for tonight, and will probably be held on April 12

for the 'other side' of the story you can visit: www.shorthillsshul.org it gives the Chai Center and Rabbi Bogomilsky's perspective on this issue as well as many legal documents.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!