sac's SUV-buying saga - finally complete!

sac said:

I am really quite annoyed by the new designs that screw up the visibility. Yes, those new technologies are nice, but I don't think that justifies sacrificing our use of eyes, ears, etc when driving. The technology should enhance, not replace those capabilities. I suppose this makes me an old fogey.

I hope that, in time, your view will be proven better.

With regard to the new technologies:

I recently had the occasion to use a friend's Chevy whilst she and the lovely bride were out and about.

I only used it for a few local errands; and was quite annoyed about the sight lines when looking to the rear. During the third or fourth stop, I realized that when one put the vehicle into reverse the dashboard display automatically put up the rear-view camera image. Still didn't like it much, as I am a firm believer in looking where you're going.

Before our friend departed, I got back into the driver's seat and asked her to cross behind me from the far side of the street.

The angle of view was excellent. I'm quite impressed.

Depth perception is a problem; but if you're in reverse, you shouldn't be going fast enough for that to be a problem.

One man's view.

TomR

Backup cameras are game changers. They will be standard equipment In a few years, just like 3rd brake lights were a few decades ago.

Once you get used to them, you realize your sight lines are far superior than looking over your shoulder. Given they are in the back of the car and have a fish-eye design, you can see more of what's coming from either side - very helpful when backing out of a parking space.

Except if it's raining and there is water dripping on the lens. Or there is snow on the lens.

I've been very willing to give my rear view camera a try. I find it inferior to turning around because my own peripheral vision is wider than the camera lens.

I like them, but they are one more tool not a replacement.

FilmCarp said:

I like them, but they are one more tool not a replacement.
My point exactly. No need to compromise visibility just because there are cameras to help. And I don't happen to think that the new designs are more attractive anyway, although I guess someone must.

I'm looking at Subarus.

But good luck finding one in stock at most dealers. Two places told me that if I wanted the new Legacy I could order it and wait 2-3 months. Same thing with Foresters above the base model.

Subarus seem really hot this year. I'm seeing more on the road than ever. When I was looking down in FL, the dealer told me that in 2013, Toyotas sold more Camrys than Subaru sold all models.

We ended up buying our Hyundai Santa Fe in Goshen, NY, about an hour and a half away, because we needed it quickly. It was an easy transaction so don't hesitate to expand your search beyond NJ!

We got our Outback recently. Good price, 1.5% loan, and really enjoying the new car gadgetry. Very happy with the decision.

I'm hearing good things about the Kia Sorento and noticed this thread about that car: http://forum.maplewoodonline.com//discussion/114066/.

We finally did it. We got a Toyota Highlander. Still very new but we're liking it a lot so far.

Apparently you had time on your side so you could make a good decision. It's 34 months since you started the thread. I hope you enjoy this for many years.

How does it stack up against your list of criteria?

We keep our cars for a LONG time, so I expect and hope that will be the case. This is only the 8th car owned by me and/or my husband in our entire lives. (Four of them still in the family, since we have two young adult children now driving the older ones.)

Re criteria - We think it's pretty close, but time and road trips will tell for sure.

Yeah! The end of an era.Congratulation!!!

We loved our Highlander so much that we bought out the lease at the end of 4 years and kept it another 8!

We just bought a Highlander too! We're really liking it so far

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.