Renaming Jefferson school.

"According to one estimate, the enslaved men, woman, and children who lived at Monticello represented 90 percent of the appraised value of Jefferson's Albemarle County properties."

Because of his enormous debts ("which had ballooned to $107,000 [more than $2,000,000 in 2019 dollars] by the time of his death") it was necessary to sell everything and everybody.

This is history, and some people aren't happy that it's discussed, even by the caretakers of Jefferson's Monticello.

https://www.monticello.org/slaveauction/

Seem like FauxNews has told its lemmings to complain about Monticello going "woke," which explains some of the distress displayed here.

this guy was mentioned in the post article

So  "going woke" is presenting the truth?

If any of you or your children went to, or applied to, or thinks fondly of, or has friends who attend, either of West Point or UVA, shame on you.

BarneyGumble said:

If any of you or your children went to, or applied to, or thinks fondly of, or has friends who attend, either of West Point or UVA, shame on you.

I have a degree from the University of Virginia, and resided in a room in Mr. Jefferson's original "academical village" (which he designed and oversaw construction of when he founded the University) in the 1982-1983 school year (see below).  Not ashamed at all.

BarneyGumble said:

This guy gets it. ^^

I'm not clear on what it is you think I "get".

nohero said:

"According to one estimate, the enslaved men, woman, and children who lived at Monticello represented 90 percent of the appraised value of Jefferson's Albemarle County properties."

Because of his enormous debts ("which had ballooned to $107,000 [more than $2,000,000 in 2019 dollars] by the time of his death") it was necessary to sell everything and everybody.

This is history, and some people aren't happy that it's discussed, even by the caretakers of Jefferson's Monticello.

https://www.monticello.org/slaveauction/

Jefferson Elementary now renamed as "Delia Bolden Elementary School" according to Yahoo News.

If you drive by former Jefferson School you will see the new sign,much nicer than Jefferson’s.It’s going to be a little difficult to remember the new name..Also if you live in the Jefferson area of town,forget it. Realtors will have to rewrite.

I move we change the town name to Laughing Stock, NJ.

BarneyGumble said:

I move we change the town name to Laughing Stock, NJ.

I'm just imagining you sitting on the front porch shaking your fist at kids on your lawn.  Don't be afraid of change.  It's okay.  

Hey, maybe next you guys can replace the Declaration of Independence with Twitter Rules of Service.  Very progressive.

I was waiting for the conservative snowflakes to weigh in. They never disappoint. 

galileo said:

If you drive by former Jefferson School you will see the new sign,much nicer than Jefferson’s.It’s going to be a little difficult to remember the new name..Also if you live in the Jefferson area of town,forget it. Realtors will have to rewrite.

yes. "Bolden" is so damn hard to remember.  vampire

galileo said:

Realtors should not be naming neighborhoods after schools.  That has contributed to the de facto segregation in town that has resulted in the need for the school assignment changes.

ml1 said:

yes. "Bolden" is so damn hard to remember. 
vampire

hey… they might confuse it with Boyden…

BarneyGumble said:

Hey, maybe next you guys can replace the Declaration of Independence with Twitter Rules of Service.  Very progressive.

I keep calling you Boney Grumble…

Jaytee said:

ml1 said:

yes. "Bolden" is so damn hard to remember. 
vampire

hey… they might confuse it with Boyden…

I admit, I read something about "Bolden school" in an article or school board summary, and my first thought was it was a typo of Seth Boyden school, as it's only one letter different. That said, "Seth Boyden" elementary school is usually referred to with the "Seth" in it. I wonder if "Delia Bolden" will be similar. They both roll off the tongue nicely with the first name included.

Which reminds me: I went to a Thomas Jefferson Middle School many decades ago. It was usually just referred to as "T.J."

BarneyGumble said:

That would mean you’d need to be 13 or older to live here, so elementary schools wouldn’t even need to exist.

As a POC with a deep fondness of history I admit to to a certain ambivalence on the subject. I  find Jefferson's hypocrisy and brutality as an enslaver beyond redemption .  His policy toward Haiti was reprehensible. As for the school of thought that agrues for his role in penning the Declaration of Independence and the general keenness of mind I pose this question.  How many others might achieve this same level erudition or more if they had others toiling in the fields to support them while they were able to apply themselves to the study of music ,act ,philosophy,  architecture  etc?

Mattie5 said:

As a POC with a deep fondness of history I admit to to a certain ambivalence on the subject. I  find Jefferson's hypocrisy and brutality as an enslaver beyond redemption .  His policy toward Haiti was reprehensible. As for the school of thought that agrues for his role in penning the Declaration of Independence and the general keenness of mind I pose this question.  How many others might achieve this same level erudition or more if they had others toiling in the fields to support them while they were able to apply themselves to the study of music ,act ,philosophy,  architecture  etc?

That can be applied that to many of our revolutionary leaders. How many of then would have had the time to do what they wanted or what was needed if instead of owning slave supported plantations they had to toil on farmsteads. 

Would "Farmer" Washington have had the opportunity to be commanding general of the continental army and president? Is it now time to rename the George Washington bridge?

RTrent said:

Mattie5 said:

That can be applied that to many of our revolutionary leaders. How many of then would have had the time to do what they wanted or what was needed if instead of owning slave supported plantations they had to toil on farmsteads. 

Would "Farmer" Washington have had the opportunity to be commanding general of the continental army and president? Is it now time to rename the George Washington bridge?

This post has to be a joke, right?

ml 1 - In response,I do find Delia Bolden School a little hard to remember but with time I'm sure we'll get used to it. I guess Jefferson School and its name was just such a part of my life. I attended it for 7 years. My 2 sons attended it for 7 years each. Nowadays it's only a few years at different schools here and there in the district. I hope in the future we can learn more about Delia Bolden after her graduation from Columbia High School.

galileo said:

ml 1 - In response,I do find Delia Bolden School a little hard to remember but with time I'm sure we'll get used to it. I guess Jefferson School and its name was just such a part of my life. I attended it for 7 years. My 2 sons attended it for 7 years each. Nowadays it's only a few years at different schools here and there in the district. I hope in the future we can learn more about Delia Bolden after her graduation from Columbia High School.

In my volunteer work (Girl Scouts) we do a lot of things "by school" and it is one of the pieces of information we collect about every member.  All of our new submissions (for students from that school) say Bolden and I suspect there may even be a few parents who just moved here that don't even know the history.  It won't take long unless you push back.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.