Recycling Changes Effective January 1, 2023

sac said:

wendy said:

I still wouldn't until I heard confirmation from DPW. I am not saying I don't trust Nancy but merely making a statement like that and not being sure of the context I would personally email DPW. 

Edited to add that I just sent Kristen an email query to that effect and also to confirm if boxes in fact need to flattened as I saw unflattened ones on my block that were picked up.

I hope it's not a problem, because our plan is to use one box as the container for the other "fiber" items being recycled each week.  Then we don't have to bring the container back from the curb.  This week, we did put out a LOT of flattened boxes in a couple of unflattened boxes along with the other paper and they accepted it FWIW.

Are you saying they accepted the one box as the container for the other fiber items?

wendy said:

sac said:

wendy said:

I still wouldn't until I heard confirmation from DPW. I am not saying I don't trust Nancy but merely making a statement like that and not being sure of the context I would personally email DPW. 

Edited to add that I just sent Kristen an email query to that effect and also to confirm if boxes in fact need to flattened as I saw unflattened ones on my block that were picked up.

I hope it's not a problem, because our plan is to use one box as the container for the other "fiber" items being recycled each week.  Then we don't have to bring the container back from the curb.  This week, we did put out a LOT of flattened boxes in a couple of unflattened boxes along with the other paper and they accepted it FWIW.

Are you saying they accepted the one box as the container for the other fiber items?

Yes

I received an answer from Kristen regarding my questions about boxes and shredding. Oh and Kristen rocks! Her email is in bold below. (The sorry was a very small delay in my earlier query about the boxes which I then re-asked along with the shredded paper. There was no need for her to apologize.)

Sorry about that—so for the boxes it’s definitely suggested that they’re flattened, but it doesn’t surprise me that the recycling company was just taking whatever was out. It’s up to them to follow their rules for that, but what we put out is supposed to be followed.

Nancy confirmed for me that shredded paper IS now allowed to be collected with the recycling.

Now all we have to do is wait for the website to be updated to include this valuable information.

I think the point of flattening is to reduce the space they take up.  So putting all of the items into one unflattened box shouldn't be a big issue assuming that unflattened box is fairly full as a result.  

sac said:

I think the point of flattening is to reduce the space they take up.  So putting all of the items into one unflattened box shouldn't be a big issue assuming that unflattened box is fairly full as a result.  

Thing is, it all goes Ito a compactor which flattens whatever is put in there. Maybe the purpose is to make it easier to pick up off the curb.

ridski said:

Now all we have to do is wait for the website to be updated to include this valuable information.

A real comment or sarcastic? Info is not that valuable but some folks want to be able to put out their shredded paper. (As to the boxes, Kristen's answer was basically buyer beware but I believe long ago they said to flatten and even tie and I stopped and they still picked up. However the current guidelines specifically say flattened.)
As to the shredding however, good luck finding paper bags to put the shredding into for pick up as I think that is what they and the customer would want otherwise the shredding in a recycle container will get very messy even on non windy day.

ETA: one would have to buy paper bags which sort of but not entirely defeats the purpose! lol.

wendy said:

A real comment or sarcastic?

It’s a reasonable comment. If a question or change warrants mention at a TC meeting, an official’s clarification in a private Facebook group or at least a couple of resident emails to the DPW, it’s worth adding to the township’s recycling webpage, even if only under the FAQ section.

ETA: one would have to buy paper bags which sort of but not entirely defeats the purpose! lol.

No need to buy paper bags if you fold them back up and save them from takeout orders. We use them to corral small scraps of paper. Now we’ll stuff them, as needed, with shredded paper.

wendy said:

A real comment or sarcastic? Info is not that valuable but some folks want to be able to put out their shredded paper. (As to the boxes, Kristen's answer was basically buyer beware but I believe long ago they said to flatten and even tie and I stopped and they still picked up. However the current guidelines specifically say flattened.)
As to the shredding however, good luck finding paper bags to put the shredding into for pick up as I think that is what they and the customer would want otherwise the shredding in a recycle container will get very messy even on non windy day.

I shred about 90% of my junk mail, and the town recycling page (which is now linked nicely front and center on the homepage) doesn't tell us of this change, either in the graphic, or in the FAQ. I would presume you weren't the only person to ask this question, so as someone who runs a website, I don't see why it wouldn't be added to the FAQ, especially if that's the place everyone on the TC sends us to for information.

We're on page 5 of this thread here, and there are numerous threads on Soma Lounge and elsewhere - people are still confused; you're having to call DPW to get clarification, which you shouldn't have to do. Nancy Adams has said many times that the postcards we got in the mail are just the beginning, but those postcards lead us to the two towns Recycling pages, and not all the info is there, and when questions come in and are clarified by DPW to you, or by Nancy Adams on Soma Lounge, that info still isn't being added to the site. That's meant to the be the Source, it's where everyone is sending us.

So yes, it's a real comment. It's January 6th. The question was answered in a TC meeting 3 days ago, so...

"Now all we have to do is wait for the website to be updated to include this valuable information."

sac said:

that’s how I put it out, and they take it. 

Instead of complaining I personally was planning on emailing Nancy to complain about the type of communication that was done here re: shredding. (Although shredding 90 percent of your junk mail seems extreme but each to their own.) I was planning on doing this soon and including all the appropriate folks at DPW with whom I've been communicating. AND TO STRONGLY SUGGEST IT GETS ADDED TO THE WEBSITE!

By the way how are you going to put the shredding out? Still have paper bags lying around or planning on putting it in a container or buying paper bags?

Can someone please give me a link to SOMA lounge? I am a member of several local SOMA groups but not that one? It doesn't appear on any searches. Thanks! A real link please. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SOMabusinessfriends  This is the url that comes up when I check on the link in my groups list.  However, the title in the link is different from the title of the group.  I don't know why that is. Please let me know if this works for you.

Nope. That is a business group and your link doesn't work but my search pulled that up as SOMA Lounge Business Directory or another one was SOMA Realtor Lounge. 

I'll be reaching out to the the TC committee and of course include Ms. Adams but thought it would be helpful to see this SOMA lounge. As I said I am no stranger to groups, both public and private. But that link does not work. 

ETA to add I joined but that is not SOMA lounge. It's SOMa Lounge Business Directory and there is no post after December 14 2022

wendy said:

ETA to add I joined but that is not SOMA lounge. It's SOMa Lounge Business Directory and there is no post after December 14 2022

I’m not a member, but for what it’s worth: At the very bottom of this screenshot from Joan’s link, in the background under Activity, it says “32 new posts today.” Maybe Facebook somehow misdirected you?

That is SOMa Lounge.  It was originally started as a place for local businesses to post and for people to ask where to get stuff and get recommendations.  It morphed and the name was changed but the URL remains when you change your name on Facebook.

(Restoring this as the discussion’s featured image.)

wendy said:

Instead of complaining I personally was planning on emailing Nancy to complain about the type of communication that was done here re: shredding. (Although shredding 90 percent of your junk mail seems extreme but each to their own.) I was planning on doing this soon and including all the appropriate folks at DPW with whom I've been communicating. AND TO STRONGLY SUGGEST IT GETS ADDED TO THE WEBSITE!

By the way how are you going to put the shredding out? Still have paper bags lying around or planning on putting it in a container or buying paper bags?

I have a 64 gal recycling container I'm planning to use for fibers (worked fine this week, I used to use it for everything) and a 32 gal trash can with a cover I'll use for commingled. If things start getting nutso (my 64 gal was typically full to the brim every week before this) I'll be taking stuff directly to the DPW like I used to do before Basso came and I never got picked up.

Edited to add, and thank you for your continued direct contact to clarify this information. 

Steve said:

That is SOMa Lounge.  It was originally started as a place for local businesses to post and for people to ask where to get stuff and get recommendations.  It morphed and the name was changed but the URL remains when you change your name on Facebook.

Nope. That is not SOMa Lounge. There is no January 3 or so date by Nancy. If there is please post it here. Enough of this. I have no need for this right now. I'll be sticking with normal other avenues of communication. Sheesh

Well, I clicked on it and it took me right to SOMa Lounge.  Seems to have worked for others, too.

Sheesh.

I, too, emailed Kristin about the shredded paper question, and I also asked her in which category Tetra Paks belong.  Haven't heard back yet, but I'm appreciative that the shredded paper issue has been resolved here.  But where does one buy large enough paper bags to put shredded paper in so that it doesn't blow around all over the place?  As for SOMA Lounge, I have an admittedly absurd tendency to boycott various things that the majority of the population supports, and that includes Facebook, which I've been boycotting for a number of reasons, but mostly because they helped elect Trump and helped make Brexit happen.  I know I'm not the only one.  Our local government thinks that it's an acceptable way to communicate with residents, but they are leaving a lot of people out.  I do go to the town's official Facebook page as well as other public pages that I can see without being a member, but the last communique on the town's page is dated 2/7/22.  

Steve said:

Well, I clicked on it and it took me right to SOMa Lounge.  Seems to have worked for others, too.

Sheesh.

sheesh? Quote the post from Nancy please. 

DaveSchmidt said:

wendy said:

I’m not a member, but for what it’s worth: At the very bottom of this screenshot from Joan’s link, in the background under Activity, it says “32 new posts today.” Maybe Facebook somehow misdirected you?

content not available to me. 

wendy said:

Steve said:

Sheesh.

I didn't say it took one to the quote; I merely said that the link was to SOMa Lounge.  You then said that it did not and said, "Sheesh."  It's not me.

Steve said:

wendy said:

Steve said:

Sheesh.

I didn't say it took one to the quote; I merely said that the link was to SOMa Lounge.  You then said that it did not and said, "Sheesh."  It's not me.

I believe I contributed facts and information to this thread. I'll be leaving it now and contact the appropriate folks to ask them to spread the information regarding shredding more widely. For all who contributed and were not snarky thank you. And for all who found out information and contributed here thank you. That includes me of course. Oh and if anyone knows the hosts of SOMa lounge please have them contact me as their content is not available to me. Maybe they kicked me out. But I'll be like Groucho Marx here. Have a good weekend all.

The information about the boxes is not new. As DPW said if they take them unflattened so be it but that is not what the facility stated to DPW.

Sheesh….

You guys know that the people who pick up the recycling…while running behind the truck… really don’t give a rodent’s baxide if you flattened the boxes or shredded your junk mail or your paper towel tube is still cylindrical …but if you put out your plastic bottles instead of your “fibers” they will just run past your bin to your neighbor’s cardboard boxes.

Sheesh 

Elle_Cee said:

I, too, emailed Kristin about the shredded paper question, and I also asked her in which category Tetra Paks belong.  Haven't heard back yet, but I'm appreciative that the shredded paper issue has been resolved here.  But where does one buy large enough paper bags to put shredded paper in so that it doesn't blow around all over the place?  As for SOMA Lounge, I have an admittedly absurd tendency to boycott various things that the majority of the population supports, and that includes Facebook, which I've been boycotting for a number of reasons, but mostly because they helped elect Trump and helped make Brexit happen.  I know I'm not the only one.  Our local government thinks that it's an acceptable way to communicate with residents, but they are leaving a lot of people out.  I do go to the town's official Facebook page as well as other public pages that I can see without being a member, but the last communique on the town's page is dated 2/7/22.  

Back to say that Elle's point about Facebook pages are right on. While I don't boycott Facebook and am a member of many, many community Facebook groups one off comments by elected officials on a private group regarding an important policy that affects the entire town is not appropriate when it was not put on any mass communication or even the town's official Facebook page.

To answer your question about Tetra Paks Elle it is clearly stated under the Commingled Week Yes! Please Recycle list as the final bullet point in that box - "Juice Boxes (TetraPak)" as is "Gable Top cartons (OJ, Milk, aseptic packaging)" which if you google the images you'll see that these are the standard milk containers that appear to be cardboard but instead because of the coating one would assume fall into the Commingled category. Feel free to follow up with Kristen of course but here it is quite clear.

wendy said:

SOMA Lounge is a private group.  Only members can see its contents.  Was there an option to join on the screen you saw?

joan_crystal said:

wendy said:

SOMA Lounge is a private group.  Only members can see its contents.  Was there an option to join on the screen you saw?

I'll answer you off this thread Joan. I've already said all I plan to here. We have each other's contact info. By the way, I realize you started this thread because you could not view the QR code to see the website. Regardless of the reason you started it, it's been mostly a helpful thread so thank you!

Thanks, Wendy, for pointing out the Tetra Pak info.  I didn't read the instructions carefully enough, obviously.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.