Police shot in Dallas

Yes, it's awful, as is the attempt to impugn BLM in this horror. 

dave23 said:

Yes, it's awful, as is the attempt to impugn BLM in this horror. 

You can draw whatever conclusion you like from the writers of the article. It seemed straight forward to me. I posted a link to a story and little else- didn't mention BLM at all, other than to refer to the fact- not my fact, an objective fact- that a disagreement about BLM is what escalated their conflict.

Is it your contention that alone impugns BLM? How exactly?

So you didn't post it because of the connection to BLM? You have spoken out quite harshly in the past about BLM and, based on the headline, content and cause of the conflict (in addition to mental illness), thought it was another one of those. Apologies if your intent was to simply share a story of terrible violence that just happened--pure coincidence--to have a BLM angle.

Unconfirmed but this appears to be taken from the police radio scanner prior to the car Castile being pulled over.

“I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over. The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery. The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide-set nose.” 

http://interactive.tegna-media.com/video/embed/embed.html?id=2274065&type=video&title=Police%20scanner%20audio&site=89&playerid=6918249996581&dfpid=32805352&dfpposition=Video_prestream_external%C2%A7ion=home

dave23 said:

So you didn't post it because of the connection to BLM? You have spoken out quite harshly in the past about BLM and, based on the headline, content and cause of the conflict (in addition to mental illness), thought it was another one of those. Apologies if your intent was to simply share a story of terrible violence that just happened--pure coincidence--to have a BLM angle.

I find it surprising that a link about a cop being attacked is seen as out of place in a thread about cops being attacked, especially when the motive for the attacks seems related. 

That said, it's a bad idea to judge objective fact or news stories based on who posted the link. Seems fraught with all sorts of opportunity for errors in cognition.

If you have an issue with the story, that's another matter.

Jackson_Fusion said:
dave23 said:

I find it surprising that a link about a cop being attacked is seen as out of place in a thread about cops being attacked, especially when the motive for the attacks seems related. 

That said, it's a bad idea to judge objective fact or news stories based on who posted the link. Seems fraught with all sorts of opportunity for errors in cognition.

It's hard to ascribe true motive to someone who appears to be that mentally ill. But, hey, if it fits the narrative, go for it.

dave23 said:
Jackson_Fusion said:
dave23 said:

It's hard to ascribe true motive to someone who appears to be that mentally ill. But, hey, if it fits the narrative, go for it.

I don't deal in narratives. Life doesn't fit neatly into categories, nor do facts. I do understand why some do. Simple, if not simplistic.

Jackson_Fusion said:

Not just faceless strangers. Not random lashings out against "the police". Same church. Same friends. Just awful. 

According to FBI data from 2011, in rough terms (because all the facts aren't always known), half the murder victims in the United States were killed by someone they knew.

I'm surprised that it's only half, but I may be watching too many TV mysteries.

Jackson_Fusion said:

I don't deal in narratives. Life doesn't fit neatly into categories, nor do facts. I do understand why some do. Simple, if not simplistic.

So far the narrative here has been police killed by people with at least a tangential association with BLM. Or is there a Pokemon Go angle that I've missed?

dave23 said:
Jackson_Fusion said:

So far the narrative here has been police killed by people with at least a tangential association with BLM. Or is there a Pokemon Go angle that I've missed?

I'm sure what JF was getting at is bemoaning the poor state of mental health care in this country, and arguing in favor of truly comprehensive affordable health care to address this. That's what I took from it anyway.

LOST said:

I'm surprised that it's only half, but I may be watching too many TV mysteries.

Was just thinking the same thing.

And now this:
http://nypost.com/2016/07/11/cop-in-fatal-road-rage-shooting-stripped-of-badge-and-gun/

I found it interesting that , as far as I can remember, the only Police Officer actually convicted in a fatal shooting was an Asian-American whose gun went off accidently.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/04/19/nypd-officer-who-shot-unarmed-man-faces-sentencing/83221906/

Judge Danny Chun.  Officer Peter Liang.  Just sayin'.

On another note, this is interesting:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

North Carolina has responded to these tragedies by making it as hard as possible to allow dashcam and bodycam footage be made public.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/north-carolina-public-police-camera-videos-40501565

dave23 said:

North Carolina has responded to these tragedies by making it as hard as possible to allow dashcam and bodycam footage be made public.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/north-carolina-public-police-camera-videos-40501565

I was just going to post this.

The forces of repression, ever watchful and on the move.

ps - Of course its for the public benefit, their safety.  oh oh 

btw - should anyone manage to get a video hand it to media. Ensure it will be seen, not forgotten.

Any good suggestions for a good dashcam? I need to get started on my Christmas shopping early this year it seems. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.