Photos --- My first photo exhibit is at Millburn Public Library. Also, todays birding trip.

Nice shots Jack! I'm sitting in the Park Wood and see the bird pix. Nicely done!

Ahhh, your winery shot reminds me of the education of my Brooklyn born and raised hubster. We met in grad school in Michigan and the first time we drove by a winery in the winter he identified it as a "barbed wire farm".

Harriers courting, and first Osprey of the season.

I recently saw a monopod that was also a hiker trekking pole, being used by a birder. I'm definitely going to be looking for one of those.

Monopods are not the best solution for a trekking pole. They tend to collapse if extreme pressure is put on them. They will not break but will not give support when you really need it,

wow @jerseyjack, to say that you are eagle eyed is an understatement! Fantastic shots---if I had to choose a favorite, the Osprey on the nest would be my choice---just thrilling to see these jewels through your eyes.

I am partial to the formation of flying birds- geese? six in all, 3 wings up, 3 wings down… awesome!
ETA: Harriers too… marvelous!

critterlover said:

I am partial to the formation of flying birds- geese? six in all, 3 wings up, 3 wings down… awesome!

Two in front are Ring-necked Ducks. Four others in back are Canvasback.

Holy cow! What extraordinary photos! I love the ones of the harriers and the bunch o' ducks in particular.

jerseyjack said:

Monopods are not the best solution for a trekking pole. They tend to collapse if extreme pressure is put on them. They will not break but will not give support when you really need it,
This one was designed to be a trekking pole, with the attachment for camera on it, so I don't think it would collapse.

Something like this, I think: http://www.amazon.com/Monopod-Trek-cam-Micro-Section-Walking/dp/B002P5UXA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427750958&sr=8-1&keywords=trekking+pole+monopod

The "pink" clasp is the weakest part for trekking.

IF you get it order the ball head mount.

Hey Jack, with those bird pics, what kind of lens are you using? Those are some serious close-ups and the clarity is fantastic.

D800 and Signa 150 - 500. As I gain familiarity with the equipment and the light changes at the preserve, the photos are improving.

The camera has about 26 buttons and dials. I am learning one every few weeks and then adding another when I have exhausted the limits of the last one.

Then there are the light changes at the preserve and the changes of birds with the seasons. For instance, I am waiting patiently for a sunny day and the Swallows to return to Linden. That should be in a couple of weeks. Also, the Terns are due for feeding their young in August. Except now I have protective screening so I can photograph out of the car without getting eaten alive by the green head flies.

Oh, I also hope to have some good photos of the next full moon -- if its not cloudy.

14 of my photos are on exhibit in the lobby of the Millburn Public Library. They will be on display until April 30th. Please see them and leave a note in the comment book.

JC

I particularly like the picture of the snow covered gazebo in Taylor Park in the library exhibit. Serene...

jerseyjack said:

14 of my photos are on exhibit in the lobby of the Millburn Public Library. They will be on display until April 30th. Please see them and leave a note in the comment book.

JC

So cool! I wish I could visit...

The first one makes me feel like I'm standing at water's edge.

Birds were in short supply today,

That being said, you certainly made the most of the birds available, jj! These are stunning shots, especially the last one.

The last one of the Osprey was unusual. The bird was carrying grass or reeds to add to the nest. Then it got to the water's edge and hovered for several minutes. I guess it saw a fish in the water and got distracted from the task of bringing material to the nest.

Note material dangling from the talons in the photo below.

I love Ospreys, and you capture them so magnificently!

My favorite in this set is the white "puffball."

I stopped by the library today to donate blood and I had the opportunity to see your photos. They were amazing! My favorite photo was the one taken in Lake St. Catherine, VT. It reminded me of a Monet painting.

That shot with the fish in the bird's talons is extraordinary. But the last one of the osprey hovering is just breath-taking.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!