Open up America "AGAIN?"

DaveSchmidt said:

Ramirez is a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner (1994, 2008). MSM lapping up anything that trolls the libs. 
blank stare

I'd like to see his work from back then. The stuff I've seen here is amazingly stupid, Pulitzers notwithstanding. 

ml1 said:

I'd like to see his work from back then. The stuff I've seen here is amazingly stupid, Pulitzers notwithstanding. 

He is just a right wing cartoonist. But unlike almost the complete right wing, he has a sense of humor, which is why he got the Pulitzers.

basil said:

He is just a right wing cartoonist. But unlike almost the complete right wing, he has a sense of humor, which is why he got the Pulitzers.

my bad for using the word "stupid", which is a poor word choice under a lot of circumstances.  That last cartoon is better described as reckless or even dangerous.  It's of the "the cure can't be worse than the disease" school of thought.  In the middle of a pandemic that is continuing to kill thousands of people a day, and cause millions to continue losing jobs each week, it's helping to sow dissent.  When we need everyone to cooperate to bring the infection rates down quicker, we have people like that giving "evidence" to people who want to resist.  And all that is going to do is prolong the worst part of the pandemic, and even make the economic damage worse.

Maureen Dowd won a Pulitzer Prize "For her fresh and insightful columns on the impact of President Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky"

That's it. That's my comment.

nohero said:

Maureen Dowd won a Pulitzer Prize "For her fresh and insightful columns on the impact of President Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky"

That's it. That's my comment.

I forgot that. Oof. I think "stupid" may in fact be the proper adjective in Dowd's case. 

Regarding "reopening", the state of NJ is starting to open some non-essential locations, and my observation is that there's a chance that the "knuckleheads" are going to force them to be closed again.  The boardwalk in Asbury Park is open now, with one way lanes on each side, and a request that pedestrians wear face coverings.  By my estimation, fewer than half of the visitors were wearing face coverings, with even some cops uncovered.  (The sanitation guy was smart, though.  Mask AND gloves.  He knows he's pretty vulnerable).

We've got to the point where face coverings have become some kind of idiotic right wing hill to die on. There can't be a cop on every cornering enforcing it, so it's only going to work through voluntary cooperation.  And a lot of people won't cooperate out of some wrong-headed idea that it's "freedom" to go into a public location uncovered.  And states and municipalities have learned that they can't make face coverings compulsory because realistically it's not enforceable, and it puts store clerks and other front line people in danger from nut jobs who want to attack them for requesting that customers wear masks.

The pandemic is laying bare the fact that even when upwards of 80% of us are willing to cooperate and work as a team for the health of everyone, there's still a strident minority of selfish people who can't and won't be part of a cooperative effort to help everyone.  It's sad, but not entirely unexpected.  And the saddest part is that those people are taking a very real risk of everything having to be locked down again for all of us.  And maybe for longer than the first time.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

Wow, fear of losing  in November is very evident in these posts! 

That is what is motivating Trump hate. Don’t think Biden has a chance?

Re the motives of hate: 

https://twitter.com/kevinvesey/status/1261001977598808065?s=21

Last night, and AGAIN this morning, President Siht-for-Brains tweeted out applause for the jerks documented in that video. 

nohero said:

Last night, and AGAIN this morning, President Siht-for-Brains tweeted out applause for the jerks documented in that video. 

this **** got real when my company had to evacuate our entire building because a MAGA idiot sent a bomb to us.  A real bomb.  Fortunately as a redhat, he probably had no use for science and as a result his very real bomb was incompetently assembled.

But at some point someone in the media is going to be killed by one of these idiots.  And Trump and the cult will blame the victim.  (And this I know because idiots on FB were telling me it was my company's own fault that the bombs were sent to us (fake news!).  One of them an elected mayor of a NJ town.)

The cartoon source for me was Real Clear Politics. You know, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

mtierney said:

The cartoon source for me was Real Clear Politics. You know, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

Watch the video and see what you think that picture is worth.

ml1 said:

But at some point someone in the media is going to be killed by one of these idiots.

Even the “idiotic hacks” deserve a better fate.

mtierney said:

And sometimes it's not.

DaveSchmidt said:

Even the “idiotic hacks” deserve a better fate.

this probably fits better in the false equivalence discussion

ml1 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Even the “idiotic hacks” deserve a better fate.

this probably fits better in the false equivalence discussion

OK.

ml1 said:

We've got to the point where face coverings have become some kind of idiotic right wing hill to die on. There can't be a cop on every cornering enforcing it, so it's only going to work through voluntary cooperation.  And a lot of people won't cooperate out of some wrong-headed idea that it's "freedom" to go into a public location uncovered.  And states and municipalities have learned that they can't make face coverings compulsory because realistically it's not enforceable, and it puts store clerks and other front line people in danger from nut jobs who want to attack them for requesting that customers wear masks.

I would bet that stores at the Shore will still post signs "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" and no one will complain or insist on their Right to go shoeless or shirtless. 

ml1 said:

this **** got real when my company had to evacuate our entire building because a MAGA idiot sent a bomb to us.  A real bomb.  Fortunately as a redhat, he probably had no use for science and as a result his very real bomb was incompetently assembled.

But at some point someone in the media is going to be killed by one of these idiots.  And Trump and the cult will blame the victim.  (And this I know because idiots on FB were telling me it was my company's own fault that the bombs were sent to us (fake news!).  One of them an elected mayor of a NJ town.)

This is alarming. Sorry that your company was targeted and I hope the person was prosecuted. I can't imagine what the climate will be like as we get closer to the election. 

Morganna said:

This is alarming. Sorry that your company was targeted and I hope the person was prosecuted. I can't imagine what the climate will be like as we get closer to the election. 

It's going to get ugly, and there will be violence, and the violence will come from one side (the MAGA/gun crowd) and they will blame the liberals for starting it. They seem to be clamoring for a civil war, and to be honest, I would not mind living in a separate country from these folks. We can have the two coasts as one country, and then everything in between as another country. They can even take the name "America" if they wish.

Roger Cohen in today's NY Times writes about his neighbor who always told him that liberals need to "gun up".

What do people think?

STANV said:

Roger Cohen in today's NY Times writes about his neighbor who always told him that liberals need to "gun up".

What do people think?

I don't want to become like them

STANV said:

What do people think?

Probably depends on where you live. I doubt we will run across any opposition in Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. 

But seeing those people on Long Island, was aggravating. I could see myself getting vocal on the side of the journalist. There was a female being very aggressive and I doubt she would have raised my blood pressure with a personal assault but an attack on the press, might have hampered my good judgement.

STANV said:

What do people think?

having a gun in the home is a huge risk factor for having a family member killed by a gun. So no thanks. 

Morganna said:

thanks. Personally, I was never in any real danger. I don't work in our news division, so I wasn't near the target. But of course even the target was never in danger because those packages are handled and scanned by the mail room staff. Once again it's the front line people who are paid the least and who have the least status who are the ones at risk. 

I've worked in media most of my life. Being the target of domestic terrorists is just something that comes with the territory. In 1994, a Christian extremist sent a bomb to the office below mine. That was pretty daunting to know that if it had detonated, I'd probably have been killed. 

With all of the issues to get upset about, for me a major one was the attack on the press. I was so angry I started a FB page A Valentine To The Media, which I recently closed. I simply couldn't keep up with the war on the press. I started it after the election and my intention was to collect relevant articles and forward them to MSNBC and CNN hosts that February. I never realized that it would go on this long and be this enormous. 

I have managed to collect any relevant information on all animal and most environmental issues. That has been a big enough task.

Morganna said:

With all of the issues to get upset about, for me a major one was the attack on the press. I was so angry I started a FB page A Valentine To The Media, which I recently closed. I simply couldn't keep up with the war on the press. I started it after the election and my intention was to collect relevant articles and forward them to MSNBC and CNN hosts that February. I never realized that it would go on this long and be this enormous. 

I have managed to collect any relevant information on all animal and most environmental issues. That has been a big enough task.

In my last job, I worked with people who had had anthrax delivered to their offices. It was before I worked there, but it was a reminder that there are disturbed people who fixate on the media. 

We know when there has been a credible threat against someone in our building. Those are the days there are extra people in the lobby wearing dark suits, with earpieces and very serious expressions on their faces. It is what it is. It just used to make me angry hearing people go on about "Islamic terrorism" when the real and constant threat to people in our business is from mainly white, Christian, male right wingers. 

ml1 said:

In my last job, I worked with people who had had anthrax delivered to their offices. It was before I worked there, but it was a reminder that there are disturbed people who fixate on the media. 

We know when there has been a credible threat against someone in our building. Those are the days there are extra people in the lobby wearing dark suits, with earpieces and very serious expressions on their faces. It is what it is. It just used to make me angry hearing people go on about "Islamic terrorism" when the real and constant threat to people in our business is from mainly white, Christian, male right wingers. 

Historically, fascists have won elections by successfully scaring people against "those people". And 'those people" typically have colored skin, or big noses, or both. 

Let’s all pray Dr. Fauci is correct — major caveat is, of course, people obeying all the new normal restrictions.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/499171-fauci-says-hes-totally-in-favor-of-reopening-country

mtierney said:

Let’s all pray Dr. Fauci is correct — major caveat is, of course, people obeying all the new normal restrictions.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/499171-fauci-says-hes-totally-in-favor-of-reopening-country

It sure would help if we had a Prez who followed those restrictions himself - or at least pretended to.

mtierney said:

It would be really refreshing if you were to take a moment to see who are the people who are not 'obeying all the new normal restrictions'.  You might even go so far as to post one of your funny cartoons mocking them. 

mtierney said:

prayer will have nothing to do with it 

ml1 said:

prayer will have nothing to do with it 

Short of becoming a police state, what do you suggest?

Do not dismiss the power of prayer — which means people reaching out for help, guidance, and succor.

Some 38 million Americans are unemployed; education for our children, from kindergarten through college, has been derailed;  and  every day another business shuts down.
America and the rest of the world needs/has to get up and running —before the next wave hits in the fall. 

why? so we can be running fast enough to crash through the next wave?

what?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.