Reporting from my basement: Politics and pandemic, a deadly duo

mtierney said:

Good News:  https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/07/top-prosecutor-in-flynn-case-abruptly-withdraws-amid-trump-attacks-243107

Bad News: Nohero wants the country locked down until COVID-19 virus is no longer a threat any where. Not happening. Magical thinking. 

How about just until we have the tools and information we need to minimize the threat?  

If the WH had started preparations in January, we might have both right by now. Other countries are better prepared than we are because our White House picked propaganda over project management.

mjc said:

drift: What is the right word for that secondary headline??

Different newspapers call it different things. The “summary,” the “readout” and the “deck” are three versions I’m familiar with.

sprout said:

mtierney said:

Good News:  https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/07/top-prosecutor-in-flynn-case-abruptly-withdraws-amid-trump-attacks-243107

Bad News: Nohero wants the country locked down until COVID-19 virus is no longer a threat any where. Not happening. Magical thinking. 

How about just until we have the tools and information we need to minimize the threat?  

If the WH had started preparations in January, we might have both right by now. Other countries are better prepared than we are because our White House prefers propaganda over project management.

There are ways to reopen and address the threat.  Our niece who teaches in Taiwan tells us the schools are open, with precautions.  Taiwan has had much fewer cases than the US, because their national government is competent.

mtierney said:

After reading something like that, it's best to listen to this advice - 

nohero said:

sprout said:

mtierney said:

If the WH had started preparations in January, we might have both right by now. Other countries are better prepared than we are because our White House prefers propaganda over project management.

There are ways to reopen and address the threat.  Our niece who teaches in Taiwan tells us the schools are open, with precautions.  Taiwan has had much fewer cases than the US, because their national government is competent.

For clarity -- I believe we are in agreement, @nohero.

Remember Bridgegate?   The good and the bad in New Jersey.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/07/supreme-court-bridgegate-decision-242344

Kagan sought to make clear that the court was not blessing the conduct of the former officials, only declaring that it was beyond the reach of federal corruption laws.

“As Kelly’s own lawyer acknowledged, this case involves an ‘abuse of power,’ she wrote. “The evidence the jury heard no doubt shows wrongdoing—deception, corruption, abuse of power. But the federal fraud statutes at issue do not criminalize all such conduct."

The court’s decision, which appears to end one of the strangest political dramas in American history, vacates an earlier ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit in Philadelphia that had upheld most of the counts against Baroni and Kelly.

mtierney said:

Remember Bridgegate?   The good and the bad in New Jersey.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/07/supreme-court-bridgegate-decision-242344

Kagan sought to make clear that the court was not blessing the conduct of the former officials, only declaring that it was beyond the reach of federal corruption laws.

“As Kelly’s own lawyer acknowledged, this case involves an ‘abuse of power,’ she wrote. “The evidence the jury heard no doubt shows wrongdoing—deception, corruption, abuse of power. But the federal fraud statutes at issue do not criminalize all such conduct."

The court’s decision, which appears to end one of the strangest political dramas in American history, vacates an earlier ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit in Philadelphia that had upheld most of the counts against Baroni and Kelly.

I suppose some people are celebrating this official endorsement of deception, corruption and abuse of power.

mtierney said:

Good news: many areas in the country can open soon, providing use of all the social distancing and other safety measures continue — possibly for weeks more. 

Bad news: some people will flaunt regulations and protection rules. So, folks who want to get back to work and not get sick, have to be aware it is not just what you do to protect yourselves — we need to have an awareness that some people have a death wish.

do you truly not understand how this virus is spreading?  The people that you suggest have a "death wish" are as likely to kill someone else (who may be following all the social distancing guidelines) as they are themselves.  Why do you suggest any of this is good news?  Any areas of the country that "open soon" are likely to see spikes in the rates of illness and death.  This will be the worst of all possibilities -- "opening up" isn't going to revive the economy when people are still getting sick and dying AND people will still be getting sick and dying.

It's lose - lose.  I don't know why on earth you would be rooting for any of this to happen.

mtierney said:

Can we just go back a second and talk about why the end of the investigation against Michael Flynn, who pled guilty to violating 18 U.S. Code § 1001, with this sentence "fined and sentenced to federal prison for up to five years. If, however, your lie involved international or domestic terrorism, you could be sentenced to up to 8 years in federal prison" was GOOD NEWS?

This is full on Banana Republic ****.

Trump was on "Fox and Friends" this morning with the "good news".

100,000 dead, minimum.

We're rolling over the odometer on this suicide machine.  

ridski said:

Can we just go back a second and talk about why the end of the investigation against Michael Flynn, who pled guilty to violating 18 U.S. Code § 1001, with this sentence "fined and sentenced to federal prison for up to five years. If, however, your lie involved international or domestic terrorism, you could be sentenced to up to 8 years in federal prison" was GOOD NEWS?

Not to mention that the news item highlighted by Ms. Tierney is about the career prosecutor who refused to be part of the farce, and quit the case.

ml1 said:

do you truly not understand how this virus is spreading?  The people that you suggest have a "death wish" are as likely to kill someone else (who may be following all the social distancing guidelines) as they are themselves.  Why do you suggest any of this is good news?  Any areas of the country that "open soon" are likely to see spikes in the rates of illness and death.  This will be the worst of all possibilities -- "opening up" isn't going to revive the economy when people are still getting sick and dying AND people will still be getting sick and dying.

It's lose - lose.  I don't know why on earth you would be rooting for any of this to happen.

Because, it might just be a win-win for small businesses for starters. It will take courage and care. I don’t know when the metro N.Y. area will get on the start-up line, however. But where it is feasible, it should be possible.

ridski said:

Sadly, because the liars at the FBI (Comey, et al) considered themselves above the law.

I always enjoy mtierney's posts for the massive level of irony she unwittingly brings.

PVW said:

I always enjoy mtierney's posts for the massive level of irony she unwittingly brings.

It’s not ironic,  if I see the irony. The cartoon suggests a choice: was the Constitution or Flynn reduced to ashes? I see the FBI  using its powers to pervert justice — for purely partisan reasons.

I made that clear with my original post.

mtierney said:

It’s not ironic, if I see the irony.

If you see the irony, then there’s no need for anyone to remind you of liars you’ve supported who consider themselves above the law.

mtierney said:

Because, it might just be a win-win for small businesses for starters. It will take courage and care. I don’t know when the metro N.Y. area will get on the start-up line, however. But where it is feasible, it should be possible.

this is insanity.  It doesn't take "courage."  It's a freakin' virus for god's sake, and you can stand as tall and courageous as you want, it won't stop infection.

It will be lose-lose because even if a business opens, there are not guarantees that either its workers or its customers will want to come in and risk infection.

Of course when it's feasible, it will be possible.  But that isn't now, and the vast majority of Americans disagree with opening businesses now.  

The stuff you are posting suggests either a complete inability to understand what we're facing, or possible brainwashing from consuming too much right-wing media.

mtierney said:

PVW said:

It’s not ironic,  if I see the irony. The cartoon suggests a choice: was the Constitution or Flynn reduced to ashes? I see the FBI  using its powers to pervert justice — for purely partisan reasons.

I made that clear with my original post.

Flynn pleaded guilty to "willfully and knowingly" making "false, fictitious and fraudulent statements" to the FBI regarding conversations with Russia's ambassador.

When he pleaded guilty, he also admitted that some of his lobbying work was done on behalf of the Turkish government. (i.e., he admitted to violating lobbying laws by failing to register as a foreign agent on behalf of Turkey).

mtierney, part of the irony with that cartoon is that Flynn was a spy.

Yes, there's specific irony in that post, but in general I find there to be a lot of dramatic irony in mtierney's posts (refresher: dramatic irony is when we have more information about the circumstances than a character).

So for instance we'll get posts like this:

The Bad News is acknowledging the fact that this team work was accomplished during the Trump administration.

The Good News is the American can-do spirit is still alive and well —demonstrating American strengths.

The Bad News is that many will criticism this achievement solely because of political angst."

We, the audience, can of course see that Trump's administration continues to actively hinder those working effectively to mitigate the effects of this virus. Mtierney cannot see this, hence the dramatic irony. 

Or with her recent posts on Flynn, the idea that she's worried about the constitution, while lending her full support to a man who's probably done more to undermine the foundations of our constitutional democracy than any president, is a contradiction clear to everyone except herself.

When two people have absolutely opposite views of what constitutes "good" and "evil" is a discussion between them possible?

STANV said:

When two people have absolutely opposite views of what constitutes "good" and "evil" is a discussion between them possible?

At least in the case for re-opening - we will have solid death toll counts as time progresses.  So the next argument is going to be - what will the acceptable # of deaths be from either side.  Perhaps mtierney can let us know what her acceptable # is.  And will Trump bear any responsibility if there's a big spikes in deaths after doing so.  Also, should there be guidelines like the one they had?

Trump has already said initial estimates were north of 2 million, so if the numbers ends up being 1 million or less - Trumpers will be satisfied.

On this very day, May 8th, 75 years ago, V-E Day, America and its Allies celebrate the end 
of the European conflict.

Courage and commitment made this impossible action possible. Coordination and sacrifice defeated the Nazis.

As a young child I can remember the sense of victory which, amazingly, now seemed possible.

Edited to admit

I, too, can err — not often cheese  tough crowd

mtierney said:

On this very day, May 8th, 75 years ago, V-E Day, America and its Allies conducted the invasion of Europe. Courage and commitment made this impossible action possible. Coordination and sacrifice defeated the Nazis.

As a young child I can remember the sense of victory which, amazingly, now seemed possible.

couple of things.  You can't drop bombs on a virus or shoot it.  So the war metaphor doesn't hold for a pandemic.  So in this case "courage and commitment" requires facing economic uncertainty while practicing social distancing and NOT reopening businesses.

Maybe you can tell us if when you were a child you also remember bands of loudmouths protesting in state capitols to end rationing so that people could have the "freedom" to buy whatever they wanted.  And protesting the transition of auto factories to making weapons and demanding the "freedom" to buy new cars.

jamie said:

At least in the case for re-opening - we will have solid death toll counts as time progresses.  So the next argument is going to be - what will the acceptable # of deaths be from either side.  Perhaps mtierney can let us know what her acceptable # is.  And will Trump bear any responsibility if there's a big spikes in deaths after doing so.  Also, should there be guidelines like the one they had?

Trump has already said initial estimates were north of 2 million, so if the numbers ends up being 1 million or less - Trumpers will be satisfied.

to be fair, even the scientists are saying there will be a heavy death toll, even with social distancing, without a vaccine or effective viral treatment.  The challenge isn't preventing all possible deaths, it's preventing our health care system from being overwhelmed.  We're probably looking at hundreds of thousands of deaths in the U.S. before it's all over.  But a few hundred thousand over two years is a lot different circumstance than a few hundred thousand in three or four months.

mtierney said:

On this very day, May 8th, 75 years ago, V-E Day, America and its Allies conducted the invasion of Europe. Courage and commitment made this impossible action possible. Coordination and sacrifice defeated the Nazis.

Not to be THAT guy, you seem to be talking about D-Day, which is June 6th.

ridski said:

Not to be THAT guy, you seem to be talking about D-Day, which is June 6th.

dude, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. grin

Victory In Europe Day

ml1 said:

dude, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
grin

Victory In Europe Day

I know it's VE Day, but "America and its Allies conducted the invasion of Europe" is the beginning of something, not the end, unless the word she meant was "concluded" in which case, then yeah.

I’m that guy, but didn’t want to interrupt mtierney’s reverie over coordinated government responses.

ridski said:

I know it's VE Day, but "America and its Allies conducted the invasion of Europe" is the beginning of something, not the end, unless the word she meant was "concluded" in which case, then yeah.

my brain corrected it to "concluded"

Here's some good news about Covid-19, everybody.

According to President Trump this afternoon, "THIS IS GOING TO GO AWAY WITHOUT A VACCINE."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!