New to Soma and restaurants are $$$$$$!

yahooyahoo said:

CharlesG said:

yahooyahoo said:

kthnry said:

Many (most?) new arrivals to M/SO are paying cash for $800,000+ houses. This is not your parents' suburb.

I always thought the garlic chicken at Nunzio's on Springfield was one of the great bargains in the area.

Paying cash? Do you have any data to support this claim.
My guess is that 90+% of buyers are taking a mortgage.

my mortgage broker wife disagrees 

Disagrees with buyers paying cash or taking mortgages?

Does anyone have real numbers on cash vs. mortgages? I just keep hearing sad stories about potential homebuyers repeatedly losing out to cash buyers. Given how many people move to M/SO after selling a home in Brooklyn for big bucks, it makes sense that a lot of them are paying cash, especially given increasing interest rates.

I think that when people refer to "cash buyers" they are actually referring to a contract without a mortgage contingency.  It does not mean that someone is backing a truck full of cash to the closing.  I suspect that typically there is a mortgage involved.

tjohn said:

Careful, you'll offend the pizza elitists.

The kids would rather have a lot of bad pizza than a little bit of good pizza  oh oh

yahooyahoo said:

CharlesG said:

yahooyahoo said:

kthnry said:

Many (most?) new arrivals to M/SO are paying cash for $800,000+ houses. This is not your parents' suburb.

I always thought the garlic chicken at Nunzio's on Springfield was one of the great bargains in the area.

Paying cash? Do you have any data to support this claim.
My guess is that 90+% of buyers are taking a mortgage.

my mortgage broker wife disagrees 

Disagrees with buyers paying cash or taking mortgages?

I guess I wasn’t clear. I meant she is very busy, not too many people throwing out $1 million in cash to buy a home. 

the18thletter said:

tjohn said:

The kids would rather have a lot of bad pizza than a little bit of good pizza 
oh oh

I have a confession.  I ate some frozen pizza from CVS (Red Baron brand) and it was pretty good.

Not as good as fresh, hot pizza from Roman or Trat or Arturo's, but still pretty good.

Can't remember when I last ate Domino's pizza.  Used to love it in college but there is a lot of food I thought good in my 20's that doesn't appeal to me know.

tjohn said:

the18thletter said:

tjohn said:

oh oh

I have a confession.  I ate some frozen pizza from CVS (Red Baron brand) and it was pretty good.

Not as good as fresh, hot pizza from Roman or Trat or Arturo's, but still pretty good.

Can't remember when I last ate Domino's pizza.  Used to love it in college but there is a lot of food I thought good in my 20's that doesn't appeal to me know.

I think even the pizza snobs give kids a pass. When mine were young, we bought a lot of Pizza Hut stuffed crust and Papa John's because they really liked it.

and not for nothing, but I'm happy to have a Pizzeria Uno pizza, although I haven't had one in years.

But to me, the platonic ideal of pizza is thin crust, NY style. Can you beat John's on Bleecker?

ml1 said:

But to me, the platonic ideal of pizza is thin crust, NY style. Can you beat John's on Bleecker?

Are we in the phase of this discussion where we try to one-up each other with the most unique pizza restaurant experiences we have had?

tjohn said:

ml1 said:

Are we in the phase of this discussion where we try to one-up each other with the most unique pizza restaurant experiences we have had?

I thought everyone in the NY area has been to John's

I mean, it's got it's own wikipedia page.

it's not some esoteric location.

Steve said:

I think that when people refer to "cash buyers" they are actually referring to a contract without a mortgage contingency.  It does not mean that someone is backing a truck full of cash to the closing.  I suspect that typically there is a mortgage involved.

My buyer paid cash. Obviously wired, not delivered in a truck. Maybe she obtained a mortgage later, but she clearly had the cash on hand to close quickly.

Seems to me that from a seller's perspective, cash = almost guaranteed closing while waiving a mortgage contingency = good chance of closing plus I get to keep the earnest money if the buyer doesn't get financing, so still some risk.

According to this WaPo article, 53% of buyers in Nassau County, NY paid cash in 2022. I'm assuming Nassau County is reasonably comparable to the wealthy parts of Essex County, NJ. The source doesn't have numbers for these tiny NJ towns, only the major NJ cities such as Newark and Atlantic City, which are not comparable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/interactive/2023/all-cash-buyers-housing-market/

And here's an nj.com article from 2015 saying that nearly half of all NJ home sales are cash.

https://www.nj.com/business/2015/07/nj_leads_nation_in_all-cash_home_purchases_report_finds.html

ml1 said:

Dang. I never was one of the cool kids. 

I wonder how many of those cash purchases are generational wealth. Like a loan from mom and dad that’s not on the books. 

Probably a fair number are people downsizing. I’m pretty sure we could sell our home in SOMA and buy something smaller in Middlesex or Sussex (I like sexy counties) County with the proceeds.  

the18thletter said:

Dominoes pie is at 10-15 bux less than a real pizza parlor. If you're ordering 3 pies it can be a big difference. 

I jusr checked Joe's online menu.  A plain pie is $12.  How much is a plain pie at Dominoes? Can't be $2.  

bub said:

the18thletter said:

Dominoes pie is at 10-15 bux less than a real pizza parlor. If you're ordering 3 pies it can be a big difference.

I jusr checked Joe's online menu. A plain pie is $12. How much is a plain pie at Dominoes? Can't be $2.

I read it this way:

Dominoes pie is, at 10-15 bux, less than a real pizza parlor.

Where’s coupleofcommas when the18thletter could use him?

weekends said:

I wonder if the orginal poster has tried dining in Union?  There are plenty of restaurants, and many are reasonable.  The Souvlaqueria at the corner of Liberty and Morris is good.  Their menu is available on line.  We usually do "take out" but they have a dining room, too.  

And they deliver! (At least to where I live in Maplewood - Prospect/Tuscan area.)

ml1 said:

tjohn said:

the18thletter said:

tjohn said:

oh oh

I think even the pizza snobs give kids a pass. When mine were young, we bought a lot of Pizza Hut stuffed crust and Papa John's because they really liked it.

and not for nothing, but I'm happy to have a Pizzeria Uno pizza, although I haven't had one in years.

Vic's in Bradley Beach. You're down there. Maybe you've tried it. 

cramer said:

I'll have to try it. My go to for thin crust has been Killer Pies in Asbury Park. Or Maruca's tomato pie on the Boardwalk 

tjohn said:

ml1 said:

Dang. I never was one of the cool kids. 

but now you've got a road trip destination.

cramer said:

Have been to Vic’s more than once. Was completely underwhelmed. And I happen to love pizza. 

kthnry said:

My buyer paid cash. Obviously wired, not delivered in a truck. Maybe she obtained a mortgage later, but she clearly had the cash on hand to close quickly.

Seems to me that from a seller's perspective, cash = almost guaranteed closing while waiving a mortgage contingency = good chance of closing plus I get to keep the earnest money if the buyer doesn't get financing, so still some risk.

According to this WaPo article, 53% of buyers in Nassau County, NY paid cash in 2022. I'm assuming Nassau County is reasonably comparable to the wealthy parts of Essex County, NJ. The source doesn't have numbers for these tiny NJ towns, only the major NJ cities such as Newark and Atlantic City, which are not comparable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/interactive/2023/all-cash-buyers-housing-market/

And here's an nj.com article from 2015 saying that nearly half of all NJ home sales are cash.

https://www.nj.com/business/2015/07/nj_leads_nation_in_all-cash_home_purchases_report_finds.html

According to this WaPo article, 15% in South Orange and 17% in Maplewood of home sales were all cash deals in 2022.

Heynj said:

cramer said:

Have been to Vic’s more than once. Was completely underwhelmed. And I happen to love pizza. 

When we started going there many years ago, it was the only place in the area that did thin crust. Haven't been there for several years. 

bub said:

I jusr checked Joe's online menu.  A plain pie is $12.  How much is a plain pie at Dominoes? Can't be $2.  

I was using 2 topping pie math, my apologies. 

Heynj said:

cramer said:

Vic's is meh. Squan Tavern or Pete & Elda's. And Vesuvio in Belmar was the absolute best, RIP. 

Steve said:

According to this WaPo article, 15% in South Orange and 17% in Maplewood of home sales were all cash deals in 2022.

A well-connected Millburn friend told me today a lot of home sales in M-SH recently are cash deals. He said he thinks it’s in part that sometimes multiple generations of a family are making the purchase and will all live together. 

CharlesG,

Anything I might write has already been addressed by other posters; but, I did want to say:

Welcome  to the neighborhood.

TomR

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!