New CVS: Big "wow"

I can't imagine that calling someone by their surname is a HIPAA violation. That's stretching it. (If that's the case, I'd like to see the citation.)

sac said:
I can't imagine that calling someone by their surname is a HIPAA violation. That's stretching it. (If that's the case, I'd like to see the citation.)

I don't think it's an actual violation of something that's specifically stated in HIPAA, but I think a lot of doctors' offices are bending over backward to protect people's identities and medical conditions, because of HIPAA and the potential for being sued if they give away any information that a patient might find too much. I think it's a form of covering all the bases.

The problem is that about equal numbers of people are going to be offended no matter what you do. Many are offended by being called by their first name because they grew up in a time when that was a rude example of extreme over-familiarity, particularly from someone much younger. Others are offended by being called Mr./Mrs./Ms. Somethingorother because it makes them feel old.

If you use both names, many people will be upset about too much information being given out in the waiting room when they are there for something they find embarrassing (STD, eye lift consult, hemorrhoids, god knows what).

It is truly a lose-lose for medical personnel.

Ignoring all of this sensitivity about naming...

I was in there again this morning...neat, clean and efficient. The pharmacist on duty is a transfer from Millburn, and neither of us can figure out why she has so little business, given what a pain the Millburn store is. She probably had no more than a dozen prescriptions waiting to be picked up (granted, it was morning).

PeggyC said:

The problem is that about equal numbers of people are going to be offended no matter what you do. Many are offended by being called by their first name because they grew up in a time when that was a rude example of extreme over-familiarity, particularly from someone much younger. Others are offended by being called Mr./Mrs./Ms. Somethingorother because it makes them feel old.

This... straight out of the "you can't win" department.

At my age, I'd a heck of a lot rather be called by my first name than by anything with a title... the worst one is "Ma'am." [CRINGE]

If their Millburn location has a reputation/perception problem, people may not se the point in moving to another location of the same chain. Probably doesn't help if people see Millburn staff exported to the Maplewood location.

susan1014 said:
I was in there again this morning...neat, clean and efficient. The pharmacist on duty is a transfer from Millburn, and neither of us can figure out why she has so little business, given what a pain the Millburn store is. She probably had no more than a dozen prescriptions waiting to be picked up (granted, it was morning).

The first name thing is probably part of a privacy reponse...I know that I'm often called out of physicians' waiting rooms by first name (or firstname lastinitial). I don't see it as any breach of formality, but just a policy.

But this morning, the pharmacist called me by "Mrs. Husbandslastname", which was also fine with me, since the scrip was for someone with that last name, rather than mylastname.

Overall, I'm just thrilled to be done with the lines in Millburn.

apple44 said:
If their Millburn location has a reputation/perception problem, people may not se the point in moving to another location of the same chain. Probably doesn't help if people see Millburn staff exported to the Maplewood location.

The biggest issue in Millburn has been the lines...just too many customers for one store and its overworked staff.

But as a Caremark member, I really don't have the luxury to comparison shop. CVS bought my business when they bought a pharmacy plan company. Happily they give really good deals on front-of-the-store stuff, so with the new store, I don't mind.

susan1014 said:

apple44 said:

The biggest issue in Millburn has been the lines...just too many customers for one store and its overworked staff.
But as a Caremark member, I really don't have the luxury to comparison shop. CVS bought my business when they bought a pharmacy plan company. Happily they give really good deals on front-of-the-store stuff, so with the new store, I don't mind.

We have Caremark as well but have never had problems filling prescriptions at other stores. Does you plan say you have to go to CVS? Just because CVS and Caremark are printed on the card doesn't mean you have to use them. At least not with our plan.

No, but we can get mail-order prices in the store at CVS, and nowhere else, which is enough to drive our business there.

Your plan may differ, but when our plan switched to CVS, we found that the pricing and convenience difference quickly shifted our business there. It wouldn't matter if we only used occasional antibiotics and the like, but there a significant difference for some maintenance drugs.

susan1014 said:
No, but we can get mail-order prices in the store at CVS, and nowhere else, which is enough to drive our business there.
Your plan may differ, but when our plan switched to CVS, we found that the pricing and convenience difference quickly shifted our business there. It wouldn't matter if we only used occasional antibiotics and the like, but there a significant difference for some maintenance drugs.

I get it now. Most of my everyday drugs are from Pfizer so I don't pay for those. I have one BP med thats a little less at CVS so I get it there but for short prescriptions CVS usually cant compete with Target. Changing plans in a couple weeks though.

They could dispense with names altogether and just call people by ailment.

"Flu? Person with influenza!?"

"Hemorrhoids next?"

"Ebola!? Please follow me..."

I haven't changed over because we have a lot of medicine, and I'm concerned about whether they will have it. One of the reasons I didn't go to the local pharmacies was because when I first started using these meds, they would have to order them.

Maybe I will go over there and talk with the pharmacist. Personally I don't like the smell/fumes of the new carpet there. I am assuming over time that will dissipate.

I've never had a problem moving prescriptions from one CVS to another. They seem to all have access to the same stuff, and if you are on prescriptions that are automatically refilled, I would expect them to make sure they have it in stock when it's needed. Especially since it's only one town over from the other one.

Regarding the rug smell: It's new. That will fade. Probably fast.

NizhoniGrrrl said:
Super! CVS/Caremark is our insurance covered prescription provider. I hope they are better than that overcrowded nightmare in Millburn.

I found that to be true, and that it seemed CVS was always more expensive, and the layout confusing, Prefer size /location of walgreens vauxhall or even morris ave union. Have never tried the CVS or Walgreens springfield. Good point to person mentioning supporting bricks and mortar if they are supporting the tax base.

Got new prescriptions to take in. Was happy to recognize pharmacist from CVS in Millburn there. They got the medicine we needed by the next day and texted me when it was ready to pick up. I was glad she asked me about texting. It is far better than the robo calls I have been getting.

I, too, like supporting local businesses. Not only for the supporting taxes, but also for the convenience of having this nearby with parking. I guess the drive thru is a plus for some people. I just am not geared that way....rather, I've never used drive thru, except an occasional bank in other towns.

The help there is very friendly and eager to serve. I hope they have a successful run there.

BTW, there was an article, maybe in the NY Times about how people are misunderstanding the rules of HIPAA. Some really extreme behavior--ie, poor choices being made in the name of following HIPAA rules. The article ended saying that the rules are really common sense.

I think people tend to implement HIPAA a little hysterically because of the fear of being sued by a cranky patient. It's a tricky line to walk for medical professionals, so they err on the side of the extreme.

dk50b - just to let you know they do have Hallmark Shoebox cards now. Maybe there were a lot of requests.

galileo said:
dk50b - just to let you know they do have Hallmark Shoebox cards now. Maybe there were a lot of requests.

Thanks for the heads up. In my overly analytical way, I was just saying how odd it was that was what CVS chose not to carry in a location demographically similar to where they are stocked.

I was in there today. It appears well stocked and it was very quiet with very few customers. I'll probably be back, but I'll be waiting a bit before considering whether or not to transfer prescriptions there. (Also waiting to see what happens with Target Pharmacy's upcoming changes.)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.