Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I was listening to Howie on Sunday. He was saying he doesn't think it matters what Megill and Peterson do in the next month they will not be in the rotation. I'm wondering how many guys from the pitching staff they bring back. For starters I only see Senga and Quintana. For relievers the only ones I have some semblance of confidence in are Raley and Reid-Foley. Getting Diaz back will be huge, but that's still a lot of holes to fill. And that's before even addressing LF and DH. 

Pathetic AB by Vientos just now. Too anxious on the hard stuff from Hunter Harvey. Down swinging on 3 pitches that weren’t close.

I watched most of the game last night. I guess Keith hasn't been watching all year. He was acting like they still have a shot and saying they face all the teams in front of them for the rest of the year. That's the problem. They can't beat any of the good teams consistently. I do enjoy getting to see the young guys play.

jimmurphy said:

Pathetic AB by Vientos just now. Too anxious on the hard stuff from Hunter Harvey. Down swinging on 3 pitches that weren’t close.

He has been hitting some balls hard, but I'm not optimistic about his future. He can't field and his swing is very long. 

jfinnegan said:

jimmurphy said:

He has been hitting some balls hard, but I'm not optimistic about his future. He can't field and his swing is very long. 

it may not arrive in time to help the guys who have already been up in the big leagues, but I'm optimistic that the player development programs the team is trying to put in place will help guys like this. The type who have some raw talent, but need the higher-level analysis to tweak their swings, or for pitchers, to shape their pitches.

I'm interested to see how much Stearns gets offered. I don't think Cohen wants to go into another offseason with Eppler running things.

When Smith comes in just turn off the TV.

DanDietrich said:

When Smith comes in just turn off the TV.

You are not wrong. 

Stearns has been hired. I wonder if he's going to want to bring the Brewers manager with him. His contract is up at the end of the year.

jfinnegan said:

Stearns has been hired. I wonder if he's going to want to bring the Brewers manager with him. His contract is up at the end of the year.

Reports are that Craig Counsel wants to take a year off.

jimmurphy said:

Reports are that Craig Counsel wants to take a year off.

So does Buck get another year? They better bring in a new hitting coach at the very least. I saw one of the first things Stearns is being asked to do is to assess the trade market for Pete. I don't know why they seem set on trading him. 

They are at a point with Pete that they have to make a business decision.  They have one year to give him a big contract, lose him, or trade him.  They should explore everything.  Everyone wants this guy from Milwaukee because he has made good hard choices.  This may be one 

The long-rumored union between the Mets and David Stearns is becoming a reality, with New York agreeing to terms with Stearns to become the president of baseball operations, reports SNY's Andy Martino.

Current GM Billy Eppler will remain with the Mets and work under Stearns, who will begin his new role after the regular season ends.

Stearns, a 38-year-old Manhattan native, had been working in an advisory role for the Milwaukee Brewers after stepping down from their top baseball job last October.

Stearns became the Brewers' GM in September of 2015 and helped guide them to four trips to the postseason during his time in the front office. He was promoted to president of baseball operations in January of 2019.

Owner Steve Cohen said last year that he was looking to hire a president of baseball operations, and discussed the search in June -- along with what it would mean for Eppler.

"I've been clear from day one that I'm still looking for a president of baseball ops. Billy knows, I've had that conversation with him -- he's supportive," Cohen said at the time. "This is a really complex job and it’s a lot on one person. We have people under Billy, but from a leadership standpoint, that’s still out there. At some point we will fill that position. Billy will be a part of that, at that point I’ve enhanced the management team and that’s the goal.

"The biggest mistake you can make is to hire someone and set the organization back five years, 10 years. I’ve been waiting and at some point we’ll hire someone."

With Stearns on board, he will be the top baseball decision-maker during an offseason where the Mets will be facing lots of big questions.

One huge question involves Pete Alonso, who is expected to be on the team to start 2024 but whose future is uncertain with the slugger set to hit free agency after the season.

The Mets, who entered 2023 with World Series expectations but wound up waving the white flag on the season with a trade deadline sell-off, are expected to still be active in free agency -- especially when it comes to filling out a starting rotation that is set to return only Kodai Senga and Jose Quintana as core pieces.

Nice shot by Mauricio last night. He looks good so far, and a lot smoother than Vientos and Baty. They were talking on the broadcast over the weekend about how the disparity between Tripe A and the majors has never been greater. A lot of the better players are in Double A. 

P.S. Alvarez has 1 less stolen base than Nimmo

The Mets are really screwing things up for Arizona. Fun to watch

DanDietrich said:

Agreed. Especially fun to watch today from section 111.

DanDietrich said:

I was surprised to see how well Vientos has been doing over the last 10 games. Every AB I've seen from him lately looks awful. Trust the numbers. 

Train_of_Thought said:

every time I see a photo like this I think it was insane that for a century people sat in those seats without protective netting.

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

every time I see a photo like this I think it was insane that for a century people sat in those seats without protective netting.

My son and I discussed that very thing. A ball that gently sailed over the net came down and still hit an older gentleman in the teeth, causing him to need medical attention for the bleeding. Can u imagine laser line drives going directly into the near rows???

Good pitching tonight.  Butto is making a case.  

I get the feeling they don't trust any of the starters for next year that they are currently using, other than Senga and Quintana. 

I'm wondering if they're going to consider Stewart for the DH spot. 

I think Senga, Quintana, Lucchessi (sic?) and Butto are a good start.  However, I think a team really needs 8 starters to get through a season.  They need to sign at least two big names.  Stewart is certainly trying to win a spot.  I wonder what big offensive pieces would fit in this lineup.  Maybe Soto is a good fit, but that makes Marte a very expensive 4th OF/DH.   I think all of the kids except Baty have earned a spot next year, and he should get a chance in the spring.  He has talent, but big league pitching is tough.

DanDietrich said:

I think Senga, Quintana, Lucchessi (sic?) and Butto are a good start.  However, I think a team really needs 8 starters to get through a season.  They need to sign at least two big names.  Stewart is certainly trying to win a spot.  I wonder what big offensive pieces would fit in this lineup.  Maybe Soto is a good fit, but that makes Marte a very expensive 4th OF/DH.   I think all of the kids except Baty have earned a spot next year, and he should get a chance in the spring.  He has talent, but big league pitching is tough.

I would prefer them to spend the money on Pete and pitching instead of Soto. Baty has to adjust his swing. It's way too long. He also has to get his confidence back. He looked like he did't expect to hit the ball the last couple of weeks. Dropping that popup seemed to mess him up. 

I am not thinking that there is a limit on the money.

I have been trying to see more of Mauricio this last week or two, and I don't understand the bad rep he has as a fielder.  He isn't wearing a gold glove, but it's not cement either.  Am I missing something?

DanDietrich said:

I have been trying to see more of Mauricio this last week or two, and I don't understand the bad rep he has as a fielder.  He isn't wearing a gold glove, but it's not cement either.  Am I missing something?

No, and even Keith said he is the best 3rd basemen of the bunch and solid at 2nd as well. He's clearly more talented than the other young guys. I don't know what they were waiting for.

It was nice seeing Baty hit a HR, even if it was off a well past his prime Johnny Cueto.

Mauricio seems like the stud of the three but Vientos did have 2 homers last night.

bub said:

Mauricio seems like the stud of the three but Vientos did have 2 homers last night.

Will Vientos hit enough to be put at DH? He doesn't have a position.

The real star last night was McNeil in right field.  The dude knows exactly what's going on all the time 

The Mets are going after Craig Counsell?   Thoughts?   He's done a great job with the Brew Crew. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!