Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I'm ok with Darryl and Doc going in. I don't understand retiring Stengel's #. I figure Wright will be next despite not winning a WS. 

At this point I don't mind them losing as long as they are auditioning guys for next year. In other words stop playing Vogelbach and Mendick. 

I watched some of the game Friday, The entire team not knowing the amount of outs in the inning is inexcusable. I have seen it with one player, not all 9 guys. Well Alvarez and Locastro seemed to know it was 3 outs, but they turned back when nobody else moved.

I have 2 tickets for Friday night's game against the Mariners that I cannot use. The Mariners are surging; they're 9-1 in their past 10 games. You can have them cheap if you want to go. PM me or say something here. 

Another lousy finish.   This lineup really isn't much to look at.  

DanDietrich said:

Why isn't Mauricio up? Put him at DH. Put him at 3rd. Put him at 2nd. Put him somewhere! Vogelbach should not be playing. I feel like Eppler has hard time admitting when he has screwed up. Gott looks like another brilliant move by him. 

"Here's Corey Seager, drafted 18th in 2012, well below Gavin Cecchini. Oops." - Gary Cohen

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

Why isn't Mauricio up? Put him at DH. Put him at 3rd. Put him at 2nd. Put him somewhere! Vogelbach should not be playing. I feel like Eppler has hard time admitting when he has screwed up. Gott looks like another brilliant move by him. 

"Here's Corey Seager, drafted 18th in 2012, well below Gavin Cecchini. Oops." - Gary Cohen

Mauricio isn't up because since early July he has been slumping at AAA. There's no reason to believe he'd do better at the big league level. He still has a lot to learn about the strike zone and which pitches to swing at. Plus they are trying to get him playing time at unfamiliar positions, which is also tough to do at the MLB level. 

it's not to anyone's advantage to bring the young guys up too early.

ml1 said:

Mauricio isn't up because since early July he has been slumping at AAA. There's no reason to believe he'd do better at the big league level. He still has a lot to learn about the strike zone and which pitches to swing at. Plus they are trying to get him playing time at unfamiliar positions, which is also tough to do at the MLB level. 

Fair enough. I just can't handle watching Vogelbach bat. 

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

Fair enough. I just can't handle watching Vogelbach bat. 

neither can I. 

Vogelbach sucked in the bottom of the ninth last night, but no one should give Alonso a free pass.  He's supposed to be a better player, a superstar, and he looks like Dave Kingman.  Outside low in the dirt gets him every time, by a foot or more.

ml1 said:

ml1: I love you, but...

7. Danny Mendick (R) 2B

8. Jonathan Arauz (S) 3B

9. Tim Locastro (R) LF

No, I'm sorry, no. Stink, stank, stunk!

DanDietrich said:

Vogelbach sucked in the bottom of the ninth last night, but no one should give Alonso a free pass.  He's supposed to be a better player, a superstar, and he looks like Dave Kingman.  Outside low in the dirt gets him every time, by a foot or more.

Pete is probably hurt again after getting hit in the neck, but he'll keep playing and stink for two weeks until he's healthy. It's not just Pete though. McNeil is a slap hitter hitting .260. The top 5 guys in the order last night are what they'll be using next year. That's starting to concern me. I liked how Tim Teufel last night said they should put Eric Chavez back at hitting coach. Every single hitter has gotten worse this year.

I think the whole trade Pete thing was invented by radio hosts who then added it to their FB feeds for clicks.  The question as always is who is going to to better for the Mets at first base next year?

DanDietrich said:

I think the whole trade Pete thing was invented by radio hosts who then added it to their FB feeds for clicks.  The question as always is who is going to to better for the Mets at first base next year?

I LOVE Pete, but I like a pragmatic approach. 

We're going to lose a lot of games with him next year, so we could lose a lot of games without him. 

Soul_29 said:

ml1 said:

7. Danny Mendick (R) 2B

8. Jonathan Arauz (S) 3B

9. Tim Locastro (R) LF

those are answers to two different questions. Do those guys stink? Yes.

Should Mauricio be in the bigs? Probably not.

Soul_29 said:

7. Danny Mendick (R) 2B

8. Jonathan Arauz (S) 3B

9. Tim Locastro (R) LF

and I'm going to owe you a dinner grin

Nimmo got off to a great start stealing bases, and then in one game against Detroit...

And then there was the frustration of getting nailed attempting to steal second for the final out of the game on May 4 in Detroit with the team behind by two runs.

Nimmo admitted that failure led him to further question whether he should be attempting to steal.

Mets’ Brandon Nimmo frustrated by his base-stealing struggles

ml1 said:

I hate that he changed his approach at the plate also. I would prefer a .290 average with 10 to 15 HRs from the leadoff hitter. He is swinging with a big uppercut now. Why has the hitting coach made it through the entire year? Every guy has regressed.

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

I hate that he changed his approach at the plate also. I would prefer a .290 average with 10 to 15 HRs from the leadoff hitter. He is swinging with a big uppercut now. Why has the hitting coach made it through the entire year? Every guy has regressed.

Looking at the numbers, I think the difference this year from last for Nimmo comes down to a couple of things. First, the banning of the shift took away a lot of 2 strike swinging bunt hits he got last year, where he was able to dribble a ball into LF. And the other is that he probably had a little more luck on batted balls last year. His BABIP is down ten points from last year, even though his hard hit rate is actually up to 46.7% from 40% last year. He has struck out at a higher rate, but he's walking at the same rate as last year. 

The shift isn't coming back, so we're not likely to see Nimmo punching two strike hits down the 3B line much any more.

He slumped badly in July, and who knows why. But overall I don't have a problem with his approach, and he's certainly not to blame for how bad the team is this year. McNeil was a prime culprit, as was the litany of injuries Marte suffered.

But the pitching staff is probably more to blame than the hitters for the overall record. How many guys got through 6 innings in the first 75 games of this season? 

Not many.

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

Looking at the numbers, I think the difference this year from last for Nimmo comes down to a couple of things. First, the banning of the shift took away a lot of 2 strike swinging bunt hits he got last year, where he was able to dribble a ball into LF. And the other is that he probably had a little more luck on batted balls last year. His BABIP is down ten points from last year, even though his hard hit rate is actually up to 46.7% from 40% last year. He has struck out at a higher rate, but he's walking at the same rate as last year. 

The shift isn't coming back, so we're not likely to see Nimmo punching two strike hits down the 3B line much any more.

He slumped badly in July, and who knows why. But overall I don't have a problem with his approach, and he's certainly not to blame for how bad the team is this year. McNeil was a prime culprit, as was the litany of injuries Marte suffered.

But the pitching staff is probably more to blame than the hitters for the overall record. How many guys got through 6 innings in the first 75 games of this season? 

Not many.

In general, the entire team's hitting approach SUCKS this year. They went from having nice, long ABs, wearing out the starting pitcher, to innings where it seems like they're each seeing two pitches. Something's wrong. 

ml1 said:

Nimmo is on pace for 30 steals. I'm thinking I'll be enjoying a burger by Memorial Day
        grin

Sorry. Just trying to buy some good will with the commish.

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

Nimmo is on pace for 30 steals. I'm thinking I'll be enjoying a burger by Memorial Day
        grin

Sorry. Just trying to buy some good will with the commish.

you're late. I already 'fessed up grin

Soul_29 said:

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

Not many.

In general, the entire team's hitting approach SUCKS this year. They went from having nice, long ABs, wearing out the starting pitcher, to innings where it seems like they're each seeing two pitches. Something's wrong. 

NY Mets Pitches Per Plate Appearance:

2022: 3.89 (MLB Rank: T16) MLB Average: 3.89

2023: 3.92 (MLB Rank: T13) MLB Average: 3.90

Explaining the Mets' disappointing season in 3 stats

Their .274 BABIP ranks 29th out of 30 in baseball, ahead only of the Yankees.

Last season, the Mets ran a .302 BABIP, well above the league average of .290. That was tied for sixth-best in the sport. You may remember a common refrain from opposing pitchers last season. 

Spencer Strider: “A lot of weird hits. They seem to be having a lot of luck right now offensively.”

Zack Wheeler: “They’re just getting some cheap hits. That’s part of baseball sometimes.”

Here, we’re looking at Statcast’s version of Pitch Value — a stat that looks at how a pitch performs to further counts and when put in play. Last season, the Mets’ staff ranked third in the league in value derived from their sliders. This season, they rank 30th.

The Mets’ first-inning run differential is minus-39

Of course, what makes a team bad in the first inning? Usually it’s poor starting pitching, and that explains a lot of New York’s issues in 2023. In 93 games, the Mets have been behind after the first inning 30 times and ahead only 12. That’s 2 1/2 deficits for every lead. (Last year, they were ahead after the first in 49 games and behind 34.)

ml1 said:

NY Mets Pitches Per Plate Appearance:

2022: 3.89 (MLB Rank: T16) MLB Average: 3.89

2023: 3.92 (MLB Rank: T13) MLB Average: 3.90

I'm kind of stunned. You would not get that impression watching the games vs. last year's games. 

You still owe me dinner!

8/30/2023

METS MINORS RECAP: RONNY MAURICIO, CARLOS CORTES CONTINUE HOT STREAKS

Ronny Mauricio extended his on-base streak to 21 games with a base knock 104.4 mph off the bat in the first inning. In the sixth inning, Syracuse had a 6-4 lead, and Mauricio launched an opposite-field two-run shot to extend the Mets lead to 8-4. He finished the game 3-for-5 with a couple of RBIs and two runs scored. The 22-year-old switching-hitting infielder had his third three-hit performance and has clubbed three dingers in his last five contests. His eight stolen bases and 11 walks in August are both career-highs for any month.

Soul_29 said:

8/30/2023

METS MINORS RECAP: RONNY MAURICIO, CARLOS CORTES CONTINUE HOT STREAKS

Ronny Mauricio extended his on-base streak to 21 games with a base knock 104.4 mph off the bat in the first inning. In the sixth inning, Syracuse had a 6-4 lead, and Mauricio launched an opposite-field two-run shot to extend the Mets lead to 8-4. He finished the game 3-for-5 with a couple of RBIs and two runs scored. The 22-year-old switching-hitting infielder had his third three-hit performance and has clubbed three dingers in his last five contests. His eight stolen bases and 11 walks in August are both career-highs for any month.

ml1 is definitely correct that Mauricio had a mid—season lull, jealous of the Baby Mets who had been called up. From what I’ve read, he seems to sulk. 

Maybe the sell-off re-motivated him?!

I feel like their approach last year was if it's a good pitch swing, whereas this year they'll take fastballs right down the middle. Vogelbach helps that #. He usually faces 4 or 5 pitches before he strikes out.

jfinnegan said:

I feel like their approach last year was if it's a good pitch swing, whereas this year they'll take fastballs right down the middle. Vogelbach helps that #. He usually faces 4 or 5 pitches before he strikes out.

Just homered, but that is the ugliest swing I’ve ever seen.

So are the Mets going to pick up all the Angels off waivers and make a run for it? I kid, I kid. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.