Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Soul_29 said:

jeffl said:

Seems like the Mets made a great trade.  39-year-old with a 4.0 ERA who gives up HRs for a top 50 prospect. 

I'd add that Scherzer never really showed up in a big spot for the Mets. Last year, he spit the bit against Atlanta in the last week of the season when all they needed was a win and he sucked against SD when we needed him. He'll be another year older next year (you can look it up!), so, yes, great trade. Time to move one. 

PS. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when he met with Uncle Steve and the brass. 

And lest we forget he ran out of gas at crunch time for the Dodgers, the season before we got him. The thought of him with the Mets in 2024 wasn't, to me, a very hopeful one. Let's see what Acuna's got.

I hope they keep Verlander. He has been pretty solid the last couple of months. Steve Gelbs was mentioning that the morale felt different all year. I wonder why. It was almost the same exact team in terms of position players.

jfinnegan said:

I hope they keep Verlander. He has been pretty solid the last couple of months. Steve Gelbs was mentioning that the morale felt different all year. I wonder why. It was almost the same exact team in terms of position players.

losing will do that. 

Yes Verlander has been great for a month but he's 40, makes a king's ransom, we're going nowhere, and he has real trader value due to his recent performance.     

Canha to Brewers.

Not sure who we're getting back, but Uncle Steve is covering all but the MLB minimum salary. I'm not sure I get that, but not my money.

Justin Jarvis. AA pitcher. 

The Brewers have to pay the buyout next year.  Jarvis might be good.  I'll take it.

I guess they're banking on being able to sign some free agent pitchers in the offseason. Otherwise those long term deals for Lindor, McNeil and Nimmo look pretty dumb. 

Now Verlander.  That hurts.  But I get it.  I don't know the financial side yet, but the prospects look good.

I thought they were going to get more for Verlander than Scherzer. I don't trust the Astros. They're good about getting rid of their bad prospects. 

A co-worker said a bunch of minor leaguers are in KC, but not Mauricio. I don't get it. 

Pham to Arizona, but I don't know for who.  Edited to add we got a 17 year old shortstop.  Depth in the minors.  Good return.  If the Mets  love Pham they can re sign him

jfinnegan said:

I thought they were going to get more for Verlander than Scherzer. I don't trust the Astros. They're good about getting rid of their bad prospects. 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/mlb/mets/2023/08/01/drew-gilbert-mets-prospect-justin-verlander-trade-astros/70507536007/

Train_of_Thought said:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/mlb/mets/2023/08/01/drew-gilbert-mets-prospect-justin-verlander-trade-astros/70507536007/

Sounds good, and they have no outfielders. Why isn't Mauricio up still? If they say it's because of defense then half the team shouldn't be playing. 

jfinnegan said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Sounds good, and they have no outfielders. Why isn't Mauricio up still? If they say it's because of defense then half the team shouldn't be playing. 

Mets Pod said if they bring him up after 8/21 and he wins Rookie of the Year next year the Mets get an extra draft pick or something.

Still no Nimmo, and the KC juggernaut rolls on.

Lindor, Alonso, and Baty 0 for 12 against the Royals last night. 

Soul_29 said:

Mets Pod said if they bring him up after 8/21 and he wins Rookie of the Year next year the Mets get an extra draft pick or something.

I had also read about a month ago that they think Mauricio needs more time to work on plate discipline at AAA. They are concerned he would be totally exposed by big league pitchers.

What was the deal they were considering? Alvarez, Vientos, Baty and Mauricio for Ohtani? Might have been worth it. At least Alvarez looks like the real deal. Hopefully. 

All of that for a three month rental?  No way

I'm still watching, as terrible as it is. DJ Stewart played a warning track fly ball into a run-scoring double in the first. Brutal. 

ml1 said:

I'm still watching, as terrible as it is. DJ Stewart played a warning track fly ball into a run-scoring double in the first. Brutal. 

Yesterday's lineup was a joke. The only enjoyment I got from the game was seeing D Blanco playing for the Royals. That my sister's name, so I was joking around with her telling her she has more runs than anybody on the Mets today. That was before the useless 2 run HR by Lindor that will make his stats look better, but was meaningless.

I appreciate Gary and Ron's glass half full outlook, but there's a reason why they aren't scoring any runs. They act like the Mets have discovered a diamond in the rough with guys like Rafael Ortega. It doesn't look like it to me. Just another sub-par hitter that can't field. They have plenty of those. 

What's bugging me is that they don't have young players to plug in to these positions.  I don't mind the reset, but this time is important for rookies, not retreads.  

Also, of course, we have the 1 through 5 hitters right now that we were supposed to have, and they are nothing.  Nimmo, McNeil, Lindor, Alonso, and Marte are supposed to be the guys.  Alvarez and Baty should be bonus guys this year.

Was at game at Camden Yards yesterday.  Nice stadium, nice fans, enjoyed Baltimore.  Mets suck.

DanDietrich said:

What's bugging me is that they don't have young players to plug in to these positions.  I don't mind the reset, but this time is important for rookies, not retreads.  

Also, of course, we have the 1 through 5 hitters right now that we were supposed to have, and they are nothing.  Nimmo, McNeil, Lindor, Alonso, and Marte are supposed to be the guys.  Alvarez and Baty should be bonus guys this year.

I think Marte should be shut down for the rest of the year. Either he's hurt or he's disinterested. It's going to be tough for Pete to get any pitches to hit with either DJ Stewart or Vogelbach "protecting" him. Baty looks lost. I guess give him through the rest of the year, but they can't rely on him or Vientos at 3rd next year. Seems like they should try Mauricio there, but they seem reluctant. 

Well, Marte to the IL, Baty demoted, and Alonso homering twice.  Strange game

DanDietrich said:

Gary's call of Alonso's first HR sounded like the guy in Major League - "It's too high."

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

Gary's call of Alonso's first HR sounded like the guy in Major League - "It's too high."

I don't think anyone thought it was going out. The outfielders seemed pretty surprised when they got to the fence and realized it wasn't staying in the park.

then there's the highest HR Pete has hit, which was in the air for 7.3 seconds.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pete-alonso-hits-unique-home-run-vs-rockies

How many of their latest losses has Vogelbach made the last out? I know at least two in a row. My opponent in fantasy baseball had both starting pitchers last night. At least Pete helped me out a bit. Narvaez looks like he doesn't want to be playing.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.