Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

ml1 said:

TBH I put a lot of the bullpen problems on the starters. Verlander and Scherzer finally went deep into a couple of games this week. But otherwise guys are going 5 innings at most. If this team was relying mostly on Ottavino, Robertson, Raley, Smith to get 2 innings most nights, the bullpen would be fine.

this is true, but he knew they had older starters, Senga was adjusting to the majors and Carrasco hardly ever got past 6 innings even when he was doing well. Not having Quintana has been a problem, because then maybe they could have put Megill or Peterson in the bullpen and not rely on Leone and Hunter. I miss Trevor Williams. It has been almost 10 years since they have have developed a starter. Is Matz the last guy that came through their system and started at least for a few years?  

I still come back to the old question.  Who are you going to replace these pitchers with?  There are not enough pitchers out there for every team as it is.  And good young pitchers get locked up before free agency. 

DanDietrich said:

I still come back to the old question.  Who are you going to replace these pitchers with?  There are not enough pitchers out there for every team as it is.  And good young pitchers get locked up before free agency. 

They have to develop pitchers. Signing 42 year old pitchers isn't going to wokr. I don't know why they think Hefner is so good. A pitcher hasn't come up from the minors and succeeded in 8 years and the vast majority of pitchers get worse from year to year. 

Escobar was just what the Angels needed last night.  2 for 4, walk, 2 rbi, 4 runs.  25-1 win.  He must be happy.

worst loss of the year today. just brutal

Once again we agree.  Just miserable.

If these guys could feel the magic, we've still got hope.

LET'S.  GO.  METS!!!!!!!

At the rate McNeil's going he might end up with similar stats to Doug Flynn. 

3 straight dubs. Wild card deficit down from 10 to 6.5 in 4 days. Scherzer 6 straight wins. Kinda look like an actual baseball team out there. LET'S GOOOOO!!!

Now if only they would move on from Vogelbach. 

Train_of_Thought said:

3 straight dubs. Wild card deficit down from 10 to 6.5 in 4 days. Scherzer 6 straight wins. Kinda look like an actual baseball team out there. LET'S GOOOOO!!!

the baseball gods finally gave us a couple of wins that were exactly like the ones we were losing

jfinnegan said:

Now if only they would move on from Vogelbach. 

amen.

when he was hitting ok, I could watch him bat. But when he isn't, that fugly swing of his just drives me crazy.

ml1 said:

amen.

when he was hitting ok, I could watch him bat. But when he isn't, that fugly swing of his just drives me crazy.

sometimes he looks like the 12th hitter on a Little League team just hoping to get a walk. 

Needed to get to The Kid.

So are they buyers or sellers? I saw one Mets site saying Pham, Robertson, Ottavino, Vogelbach, Canha and Raley will be traded by the deadline. They clearly don't know what they're talking about, because they said they should be able get a top 30 prospect for Vogelbach. I think Pham, Robertson and Raley are the only ones with some value. 

if they get within 4 or 5 games of the wildcard in the next 10 days, they will not be sellers. That said, if some makes a good offer for someone like Canha, Vogelbach, or even Raley, they're gone, even if the team is still trying to win. I think those guys aren't vital to a wild card push.

Wildcard push or not, Pham ought to be traded.  He's playing great but he's on a one year deal.  For long term success we need young pitching.  All of the quick fix position players signed over the last two years ought to be available.  I would try to keep the relievers if possible, but I'd listen to offers.  

I didn't understand why he had DJ Stewart DHing the last game before the All Star game. Are they trying to showcase him also? Try to get rid of Vogelbach for something. Having a DH that can 't play anything other than DH limits the moves they're able to make during the game. If they can get a top 15-20 prospect for Pham trade him. The Yanks could use him. 

ml1 said:

if they get within 4 or 5 games of the wildcard in the next 10 days, they will not be sellers. That said, if some makes a good offer for someone like Canha, Vogelbach, or even Raley, they're gone, even if the team is still trying to win. I think those guys aren't vital to a wild card push.

I feel like Raley (gig'em) is vital to a playoff push were it to materialize. Were it not, I think he has trade value. I don’t think he's vital to next season, given his age.

Thought exercise:  if you are trying to retool, is it just for next year, or is it a rebuild?  How deep would you go trading people?  Would you offer McNeil or Nimmo, or just the expiring contracts/spare parts like Canha, Vogelbach, etc?  I don't think there is a market for Marte with two years left on his contract.  Lindor is too expensive to move.  What about Alonso?  He's the biggest reason for the flop this year, but is a potentially great player.  

Pitching is harder because the Mets have little to offer anyone outside Robertson and Raley.  

Nimmo and Alvarez are the only position players I wouldn't consider trading. Either Pete is hurt or it's all in his head. Either way they can't offer him a long term deal with the way he's playing. What could they get for McNeil?. He's getting paid well for a .250 hitter with 3 HRs. 

I would think teams would be interested in Scherzer. Possibly Carrasco. Robertson and Raley would be easy to move. 

I hope one win doesn't make them think they're going to go on a run again. 

Another rumor was that they might go after Arenado. Baty is starting to concern me. Arenado would be nice.

I would not give up.on Baty.  He needs a year of big league play.  Then we should know.  I think McNeil will recover his swing, especially if he stops trying to hit it out.  His versatility is a big plus.  I'd hate to see him go, but I think he has value.  I don't see them moving Scherzer or Verlander with those salaries.  But with a good #4 starter probably costing 20 mill per year on the market, I'd keep them and try to add an ace.  Alonso is the big question.  Will he get back in form next year, or is he a 210 hitter?

I think they're being overly patient. The hitting coach should be gone. Nimmo is the only one having a decent year compared to prior years. 

The scary thought is that their general performance last year may have been exceptional.  The talent may be closer to this year's level.  

i don't usually agree about firing coaches for the failure of players, but I might make an exception here just because Alonso is completely lost and McNeil is HR hunting with warning track power.  

How many stolen bases was that Nimmo bet? Not looking good for the over.

Pete's trade value is probably as low as it is ever going to be. I figured Scherzer's would be higher. How is Vogelbach higher than Raley? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.