Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I guess you don’t have to worry about Vogelbach running if he’s on base when someone belts a tater. 

ml1 said:

Put it in the books. Thanks Mark Canha 

My friend was a proud Dad a couple of weeks ago when Howie mentioned his son's name after the game when mentioning the production assistants. 

And thanks Carrasco.  That's what we need.

There was no way that I could vote for either Mark Canha or Daniel Vogelbach for the All-Star team.

TJ for deGrom. It really sucks that fans won't get to see him pitch until possibly 2025. Have to wonder if this has been coming since July 2021. 

The Rangers don't have insurance on the contract. I guess the premiums were too high, but I don't know anybody outside of Texas that thought he would make it through 5 years healthy. I wonder if trying to throw 100mph consistently caused it. 

jfinnegan said:

The Rangers don't have insurance on the contract. I guess the premiums were too high, but I don't know anybody outside of Texas that thought he would make it through 5 years healthy. I wonder if trying to throw 100mph consistently caused it. 

I don't know. He was throwing low 90s when he had his first TJ

They are just not good.  Not good.

Eppler should be let go. Bring in Stearns. Eppler has built a very flawed team for over $300 mil. I wouldn't mind Buck being let go as well. There is no reason why he has been playing Vogelbach for the last 3 weeks. And then hitting him 5th? 

jfinnegan said:

Eppler should be let go. Bring in Stearns. Eppler has built a very flawed team for over $300 mil. I wouldn't mind Buck being let go as well. There is no reason why he has been playing Vogelbach for the last 3 weeks. And then hitting him 5th? 

There may be a reason - Eppler.

I suspect that's the reason. He already had to admit he screwed up on the Ruf deal and they traded a solid bullpen arm for Vogelbach. They would be all set with JD Davis and Holderman and one other bullpen arm.

when Davis was traded there was no place for him, and it seemed good to send him somewhere he could play.  Getting nothing for him is another story.  But the real issue for those calling for cutting and firing etc, is who are we going to get?  What pitcher did we not pursue in the off season?  Our rotation looked okay on paper.  Bullpens are always a crapshoot, but losing Diaz was big.  In fairness Eppler avoided Baez and Correa.

And now we lose Pete for a month. 

And now getting clubbed by the Pirates

This pitching is a disaster, but I'd rather have a disaster of a season than trade prospects for rent a pitchers.

Train_of_Thought said:

I'll take it.  
vampire

That was ugly. A win is a win, but it's hard to feel good about that one. Verlander was a bit of a bright spot, but the rest of it was almost embarrassing. I'm giving myself a three-game suspension!

I haven't been able to make it through an entire game in a while. I hate when players make mental mistakes. Errors will happen, but the mistakes they have been making lately should not be happening. 

Poor Escobar. Bench the guy for two weeks and then start him against Cole? Pure stupidity. 

Megill looked great tonight.

We're about to get hot. In my bones, Charlie, I can feel it.

I have three FREE tickets for this event. Someone bought them and can't use them. Shoot me a note. Maplewood pick-up or I can leave them at Will Call. I'd just like to see them used. 

Looks as if the rain will be done by first pitch. 

Vogelbach said he feels a winning streak is coming. What is considered a winning streak? 3 games? More than 5 games? I figure they have to win at least 20 out of the next 30 to have a shot at the playoffs. They're already 6.5 games out. 

I think the best we can hope for this year is that these kids get comfortable and produce next year.

Personally I would like them to trade Robertson, Ottavino, Canha, Pham, Vogelbach, Escobar and even Scherzer for some prospects. I doubt they'll do that because Eppler knows he is either going to get fired or demoted if they don't make the playoffs so he's not going to make moves for the future. 

Only Robertson, Ottavino, and Pham have any value.  Nobody wants Scherzer's salary.  I would trade any of the others for a minor league pitcher and the worst contract the other team has.  Use the Cohen money to buy prospects.  Even if the guys get released.

They would probably have to eat some of Scherzer's salary, but I think the Dodgers, Astros, Yankees and Indians could be interested. The Rays should be interested as well. I think he bought a house in Long Island so he might not waive the no trade clause. 

Think about how disheartening it is for the hitters to stake the team to leads, often in comebacks, only to to see the pitchers come out and immediately cough it up.  That's been the hallmark of this dreadful stretch.

jfinnegan said:

They would probably have to eat some of Scherzer's salary, but I think the Dodgers, Astros, Yankees and Indians could be interested. The Rays should be interested as well. I think he bought a house in Long Island so he might not waive the no trade clause. 

there's a player option on Scherzer for '24. so the Mets would probably have to pick up at least $40MM of what's left on his deal to get any reasonable return. And for a top prospect, maybe $50MM. I don't think even Cohen would blow that kind of dough.

Stranger things have happened, but I'd be very surprised if Scherzer isn't in a Mets uniform through 2024.

ml1 said:

there's a player option on Scherzer for '24. so the Mets would probably have to pick up at least $40MM of what's left on his deal to get any reasonable return. And for a top prospect, maybe $50MM. I don't think even Cohen would blow that kind of dough.

Stranger things have happened, but I'd be very surprised if Scherzer isn't in a Mets uniform through 2024.

Me too. I know Diaz has been hurt all year, but they didn't address the bullpen enough even before he was hurt. Guys like Tommie Hunter and Dominic Leone shouldn't be pitching practically every other game. Maybe Megill can do better in the bullpen when/if Quintana takes the 5th starter spot.  

TBH I put a lot of the bullpen problems on the starters. Verlander and Scherzer finally went deep into a couple of games this week. But otherwise guys are going 5 innings at most. If this team was relying mostly on Ottavino, Robertson, Raley, Smith to get 2 innings most nights, the bullpen would be fine.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.