Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Harvey earned $32 million over his career. I hoped he invested well.

Happy 92nd to Willie Mays!!

I didn't watch them all weekend and I plan to continue not watching. It's odd. It's pretty much all the same players, but they're not fun to watch. They seem to have changed their approaches hitting and they look like they're just going through the motions. Trading two viable relievers for Ruf and Vogelbach isn't helping matters.

LET'S GO METS!

LET'S GO METS!

LET'S GO METS!

LET'S GO METS!

LET'S GO METS!

Buck's a great coach but if he's an impediment to the hot hitting young guys from Syracuse coming up at this point, he should be fired.  Agree with above that the older guys look like they are going through the motions/over the hill.  Enough already.

Two games ago Alonso hit a HR and it looked like the only guy that reacted was Alvarez. Marte actually walked by Alvarez and looked at him like he was crazy for being excited. Marte has to go on the IL. He is clearly hurt. 

I am officially "concerned" about this team. 

They do look bad.  I have heard nothing about the transition to 2b by Mauricio.  Is he handling it or butchering it?  I know he is hitting but I'm asking about defense.

aside from the game almost 2 weeks ago when Senga beat the Rockies 1-0, I can't remember a game when Mets' starters didn't give up runs in the 1st. It's becoming exasperating to get a notification on my phone as soon as the game start that says the other team has already gone ahead.

Gary just said it's 8 of the past 9 games. I thought Scherzer gave up a run in the 1st yesterday, but it was the 2nd

They are just really bad right now.  Few bright spots.

ml1 said:

aside from the game almost 2 weeks ago when Senga beat the Rockies 1-0, I can't remember a game when Mets' starters didn't give up runs in the 1st. It's becoming exasperating to get a notification on my phone as soon as the game start that says the other team has already gone ahead.

It sounds like it’s time to turn off those notifications. 

Why do they say Memorial Day is a good barometer? It seems so arbitrary. I already know that Pham and Guillorme aren't the answer, and I would say the same about Peterson but they don't have any other options.

jfinnegan said:

Why do they say Memorial Day is a good barometer? It seems so arbitrary. I already know that Pham and Guillorme aren't the answer, and I would say the same about Peterson but they don't have any other options.

Carrasco is due back soon.  Hopefully he's better.

I'm not going to panic yet because they've managed to hover around .500 without four of their five projected starters for most of the season so far. I expect Peterson to be back at Syracuse this week, and probably the same for Lucchesi. A rotation of JV, Scherzer, Senga, Carrasco and Megill should be a huge upgrade over what we've been seeing the past few weeks.

That said, if Pham doesn't start to hit I expect the Mets to deal him (and probably have to eat most of his salary) and bring up Vientos. And if Marte continues to look like he's not fully healed from his surgery, I'd expect him to go to the IL, with Mauricio coming up to play 2B while McNeil heads to RF.

At least this team has some depth options that the Wilpon teams never had. If a guy like Marte went on the IL we'd be looking at some career AAA journeyman as the replacement.

and I'll just add that they need to start getting hits with RISP. The last few days they've been putting 12, 13, 14 runners on base in a game and managing only a couple of runs.

jimmurphy said:

Vientos called up

Pham's days are numbered

Rays definitely have it goin’ on.

Really impressive if it is all legal, which it seems to be.

What a game. We stayed until the very end, and it was worth it grin

Vientos AND Baty better both be in the lineup today.

So the Mets win their first series in a month and it's against the Rays. 

That's baseball Suzyn. 

Does Buck have an issue with playing the young guys? I can't for the life of me figure out why Vientos wasn't in the lineup yesterday after hitting a 400 foot HR off a righty the night before.

If the pitching doesn't improve and hold steady, its gonna take a whole lot of hitting to make up for it.  

It's not improving tonight.

Get more young guys up! Enough with Vogelbach. I would say Pham also, but I don't think Marte is 100% and they don't have any outfielders in the minors.

So far they are doing just barely enough in this game.  One or two more actual hits and this would be a 5-0 game in the 6th.  And I agree about dropping Vogelbach for Vientos.  He's hitting 230 with two HRs in two months.  I'd give Vientos the next two months to see if he can match that output.

Now my next gripe.  All this talk about pitchers being overused and having two games today.  But Riley throws 8 pitches and looks good and using him for another inning is never even discussed.  And our 8th and 9th inning guys blow it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.